Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
About 2 years ago I was there for a regular Saturday night program. There were maybe 125 people in the stands. The track itself was nice but everything else just looked so old and run down.

Kinda makes you wonder how they've held on as long as they have.

Here's hoping the new owners can turn it around.
Yes, definitely. I hate the idea of losing any track. I did not know about the state of Myrtle Beach. I only ever saw it on TV when the Grand National guys would run there. I always wanted to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM

One track I left off way back in my original post was Flemington Speedway - another track that is now a Wal-Mart and Home Depot I believe.

It's been awhile since I've been back to NJ. Mostly went there when it was dirt, caught 2 asphalt shows.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Since this thread is straying from Cup tracks, check this place out. The short track was great. The long(er) track...well, not so great.

The pits in this race was the original backstretch before they expanded the track to run the trucks. Spent many a Saturday night there, driving and watching.

The track was purchased by the developer of the Kentucky Speedway, solely for the purpose of taking the (then)Craftsman Truck race to his new speedway.

Louisville Motor Speedway closed shortly after that, replaced by a massive UPS warehouse.

Had lunch with Bliss in the hospitality tent just before this race.

1996 Ford Dealers 225 - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 AM

134 posts, read 239,309 times
Daytona numerous times and once to Talladega.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
I've been to Indianapolis, Las Vegas, New Hampshire, Atlanta, and Darlington.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
From the "I lived there, why didn't I go?" department: I was about 90 minutes from Irwindale and never caught a race there for various reasons. It's a regret I have, as last I knew, the track is in trouble and will need to be sold to some racing friendly people if racing is to continue there.

I understand that work has resumed on Kern County Raceway which was thought to be a "replacement" for Mesa Marin...hopefully that will be successful.

Hoping to move back to California later this summer....
Irwindale is running a regular schecule this year - they seem to have solved the issues and have renamed the Speedway the Irwindale Event Center.

Oval Track Racing Events Return To Irwindale Speedway For 2013 - Technorati Entertainment

Shoot, I only live 30 minutes away, and have yet to go to Irwindale.

I have been to Fontana to watch Nationwide and Sprint races.

I plan to rectify my neglect of Irwindale this year - from what I hear about it, we have a jewel in our own backyard here in L.A.

http://www.irwindalespeedway.com/

Old 03-09-2013, 05:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Indianapolis every year and Kentucky. I guess now you can count Eldora too.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Phoenix.

A number of times for Cup races. Sat on the hillside every time.

Once went to a truck race and sat in the grandstands.

Hillside was a much better experience!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Irwindale is running a regular schecule this year - they seem to have solved the issues and have renamed the Speedway the Irwindale Event Center.

Oval Track Racing Events Return To Irwindale Speedway For 2013 - Technorati Entertainment

Shoot, I only live 30 minutes away, and have yet to go to Irwindale.

I have been to Fontana to watch Nationwide and Sprint races.

I plan to rectify my neglect of Irwindale this year - from what I hear about it, we have a jewel in our own backyard here in L.A.

The Official Site of Irwindale Event Center, short track racing, NHRA drag racing, Schedules, Video, Points
Things worked out and I'm back in California. WOO HOO!!

I was excited to see Irwindale reopening, and Kern County Raceway finally getting off the ground. I read something about Late Models running at Willow Springs - that would be interesting.

Also anxious to see the new URA Sprint Car Series in Victorville and Orange Show Speedway which is converting to dirt.

Straying off topic, but I just love racing. I won't be going to Fontana this weekend - still getting settled in,

Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Things worked out and I'm back in California. WOO HOO!!

I was excited to see Irwindale reopening, and Kern County Raceway finally getting off the ground. I read something about Late Models running at Willow Springs - that would be interesting.

Also anxious to see the new URA Sprint Car Series in Victorville and Orange Show Speedway which is converting to dirt.

Straying off topic, but I just love racing. I won't be going to Fontana this weekend - still getting settled in,
I won't go to Fontana either - I can't afford it right now.

I am glad to hear about Victorville and Orange Show and I wish them well.

Both the new Kern Raceway and Perris track in Riverside County are venues which I plan on visting at some point.

I will have to content myself with Irwindale this season - and it is a great thing that they are back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing