Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

It's going to come down to the battle of two titans for the last spot in the 2012 Chase. Busch has the edge, since he is already in the 12th spot and has more wins at Richmond over JG. But Rowdy has had some bad luck this year, so he is not out of the woods yet.

We saw the Jeff Gordon of old in Atlanta. He drove the wheels off the Dupont Chevy but couldn't quite close it out. It was exciting to watch and I believe Richmond is also going to a very exciting race in a rather dull season thus far.

The 24 will need to finish at least twelve points in front of the 18 to clinch the 12th spot, or if either racer wins, then of course they are in.

Ambrose, Newman and Logano could leapfrog Rowdy and Jeff, but it's unlikely. I would say Newman has the best chance there, since he is also a former Richmond winner.

I would like to see both the 18 & 24 in the Chase...maybe next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I really didn't see that Rowdy had the car during this race and his statement about points to stay in the race was accurate to him and others near the bubble.Don't want to get reckless and drop out because of it from lossig points to others in same sitaution. Its quite posssible that points other than first may decide the bubble winner.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really didn't see that Rowdy had the car during this race and his statement about points to stay in the race was accurate to him and others near the bubble.Don't want to get reckless and drop out because of it from lossig points to others in same sitaution. Its quite posssible that points other than first may decide the bubble winner.
The following scenarios are if a one-win driver DOES NOT win at Richmond

Kyle Busch
: If Stewart remains in the top 10 or if Kahne supplants Stewart in the top 10, Busch will clinch a Chase spot by losing 12 or fewer points to Jeff Gordon AND by losing 40 or few points to Marcos Ambrose. If Gordon supplants Stewart in the top 10, Busch would clinch a Chase berth with a win AND finishing five points ahead of Kahne at Richmond.

Jeff Gordon: If Stewart remains in the top 10 or if Kahne supplants Stewart in the top 10, Gordon will clinch by finishing 13 points ahead of Buschat Richmond AND by losing 28 or fewer points to Ambrose AND by losing 37 or fewer points to Ryan Newman. If Busch supplants Stewart in the top 10, Gordon would clinch a Chase berth with a win AND finishing 18 points ahead of Kahne at Richmond.

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
just to throw a wrench into things, dont count cousin carl out. remember he had the car to beat at richmond earlier this year. can it happen again? maybe.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I'd like to see Gordon sneak in, but am not confident that is going to happen. Being on the outside looking in going to Richmond is not an easy thing to overcome. Neither is 12 points. He is going to either need to run a nearly flawless race and avoid bad luck, or take advantage of a wreck.

All that could happen. Gordon has also had some really bad luck this year indicating to me that he is better than his current place in the standings. Yet, it is what it is at this stage.

Should make for a fun race!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I'd like to see Gordon sneak in, but am not confident that is going to happen. Being on the outside looking in going to Richmond is not an easy thing to overcome. Neither is 12 points. He is going to either need to run a nearly flawless race and avoid bad luck, or take advantage of a wreck.

All that could happen. Gordon has also had some really bad luck this year indicating to me that he is better than his current place in the standings. Yet, it is what it is at this stage.

Should make for a fun race!

BINGO

Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I couldn't stay up all night to watch and turned it off after the restart (~lap 100). Was shocked to awake and see that Gordon had come back and finished 2nd and was in the chase.. wow.. wish I had stayed up now.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I couldn't stay up all night to watch and turned it off after the restart (~lap 100). Was shocked to awake and see that Gordon had come back and finished 2nd and was in the chase.. wow.. wish I had stayed up now.
If he'd driven that hard more often he wouldn't have been in the position to not make the Chase.

Who took 4 tires with 7 laps to go? Was that Junior? Why would he do that?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
No sense Gordaon always drives hard just as johson and Rpowdy does. It takes more than just the driver to egt i the chase or win championship. Its lie Edwards ;it takes a great team ;great cars and alot of luck or especially not much bad luck.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No sense Gordaon always drives hard just as johson and Rpowdy does. It takes more than just the driver to egt i the chase or win championship. Its lie Edwards ;it takes a great team ;great cars and alot of luck or especially not much bad luck.
Not always the case as drivers get older they tend to lean toward being smarter. Younger drivers tend to take more chances because they don't realize they are not supposed to do some of the things they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing