Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times

Advertisements

That would be interesting

RCR would add Kurt Busch if sponsor could be found - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:14 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Indeed it would.
Seems the solution would be to split the bill amongst 2 or 3 sponsors if one can't be found.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I think Richard could help Kurt with his 'behavior'. RC would also get one heckuva wheel man! Hope it can be done.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Bad news for the sport

Phoenix Racing could close shop at end of 2012 season:
James Finch, a 20-year-plus veteran NASCAR team owner, who this year has been fielding #51 Chevrolets for Kurt Busch, says unless there is a big change in economics in this sport "I'll have to hang it up at the end of this season." Finch says the new 2013 NASCAR stockers will obsolete his entire fleet of race cars. "I'll have to throw everything away," Finch says. Finch has no major sponsor this season, and his hauler here is painted stark black. He used Hendrick engineering, at a price of course, and he leased Hendrick engines, at a price too of course. MikeMulhern.net

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Kurt has pretty much ruined any sposor want him in their car .Too bad he has a worse tempoer than Kyle ;who almost oss his sponmsors.This is not stocvk car racing anymore with the cost and need for sponsors.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
It hasn't been stock car racing for decades... I hate that NASCAR looses small teams like Finch but am not sure what they can do to keep the costs down. In reality, its not NASCAR as much as it is the LARGER Teams that drive the cost up for the smaller teams.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe NASCAR could implement a salary cap per team which would limit the amount of sponsorship $$$ they can have.. as well as the amount of out of pocket $ they could spend. Another thing that they could tweak is the race purse. Today the winners of the race gets xxxx amount and the loser gets xxx and so on.. all the way down the last car who gets x. I think the purse could be divided / 43 giving each team an equal amount regardless of position. I know that sounds crazy but if you look at the other big 4 sports, they don't give the winners more money than the losers.. at least not during the regular season.. If you make the playoffs in the other big 4, each player gets extra pay and the winner gets more than the loser. Of course if they implemented the equal purse earnings then the start and park would have to stop.

again, i am just thinking out loud.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It hasn't been stock car racing for decades... I hate that NASCAR looses small teams like Finch but am not sure what they can do to keep the costs down. In reality, its not NASCAR as much as it is the LARGER Teams that drive the cost up for the smaller teams.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe NASCAR could implement a salary cap per team which would limit the amount of sponsorship $$$ they can have.. as well as the amount of out of pocket $ they could spend. Another thing that they could tweak is the race purse. Today the winners of the race gets xxxx amount and the loser gets xxx and so on.. all the way down the last car who gets x. I think the purse could be divided / 43 giving each team an equal amount regardless of position. I know that sounds crazy but if you look at the other big 4 sports, they don't give the winners more money than the losers.. at least not during the regular season.. If you make the playoffs in the other big 4, each player gets extra pay and the winner gets more than the loser. Of course if they implemented the equal purse earnings then the start and park would have to stop.

I like some of your ideas like salary/spending cap because I think owners like Childress/Penske/Roush/ Ganassi are spending way too much money trying to keep pace with the Toyota factory teams of MWR and JGR and the Hendrick/Stuart factory GM team.

I also don't like direct factory involvement, the factory should be selling engines to anybody who wants them for the same price and leave it up to the teams to do all the development.
As it is now only 20 out of 43 teams have a realistic chance of winning a race yet who would attend a NASCAR race with only 20 cars entered. This isn't F1 or Indy car.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Yes & no; in Nascar's quest for parity along with tighter specs the qualifying field is often separated by only .02 of a second. With that kind of field teams look for any edge they can get which means more R&D and in turn drives up operating costs.
Quote:

Unlike stick & ball sports NASCAR teams do not belong to NASCAR per se, NASCAR is not a league but rather a sport governing body. Jack Roush could decide to take his team and go to Canada's stock car series or close shop and he doesn't need NASCAR's permission.
If you own a stick and ball club relocations must be approved by the league. Additionally, while the teams may get paid the same for winning/losing the contract salaries are far from equal, plus the team owners get paid billions for ad space during televised games so there is not really a limit on the money they make.
Furthermore, stick & ball sports do not incur the same operating cost as motorsport teams. You have bats, balls, padding, and stadiums; they don't deal with wrecked cars, blown engines, tires or fuel consumption. If they break they see a doctor, if the blow up they get put in the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I like some of your ideas like salary/spending cap because I think owners like Childress/Penske/Roush/ Ganassi are spending way too much money trying to keep pace with the Toyota factory teams of MWR and JGR and the Hendrick/Stuart factory GM team.

I also don't like direct factory involvement, the factory should be selling engines to anybody who wants them for the same price and leave it up to the teams to do all the development.
As it is now only 20 out of 43 teams have a realistic chance of winning a race yet who would attend a NASCAR race with only 20 cars entered. This isn't F1 or Indy car.
Roush is much a factory team as Hendrick and the relationship works both ways. Hence, the reason Dodge couldn't stay in NASCAR because, unlike Penske, the teams Dodge approached didn't have and were not interested in developing an engine program.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 AM

Going to the 78

Team News - Kurt Busch to Drive No. 78 Furniture Row Chevy in 2013September 24, 2012 - Furniture Row Racing #78

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
After hearig what he said about his cure=rent team and the five uear oold car;I have no doubt his mouth will hurt him again. But it was funny when the crew remarked at of course with wreckig thre cars in three races they could afford another car on their budget.Keep it up and even RCR can't find a sponsor wantig their name assocaited with KB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing