Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Great explanation about the difference between F1 and real racing(NASCAR)

If people don't like NASCAR fine just shut up about it because nobody cares.
NO 'real' racing series would EVER take away points earned on a race track for something a driver said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I resent that. I've prayed to Jesus after I got puking drunk....and I didn't have to be at a NASCAR race to do it.

So there.
Oh sure, lots of people pray after getting puking drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NO 'real' racing series would EVER take away points earned on a race track for something a driver said.
How should the drivers and teams be punished? I don't know that taking points away is the best answer, but I don't see a better way, unless it's big(ger) fines.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am a NASCAR fan and a Christian and I find it refreshing in this PC world to actually hear the word "Jesus" and see and hear a prayer before a sporting event on TV!
BETTER than no Jesus...a bit of Jesus always makes the day a bit brighter

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No "real" racing series would EVER have a team owner instruct one driver to move over for his teammate.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
No "real" racing series would EVER have a team owner instruct one driver to move over for his teammate.
Or spin to bring out a caution like Paul Menard was RUMORED to do.

I agree mentioning Jesus is wrong. I love PIR's chaplin, he does a VERY good job at giving an interfaith inovacation. I am more or less waiting for a NASCAR driver to be atheist or have a different religious affiliation than Christianity and complain about the inovacations.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

F1 is fine, but boring. Too sterile. If anything but a nose piece or wing is damaged, the car is done for the day. Zzzz. No worthwhile rivalries. Look at the technical advances deemed necessary to make the sport more interesting, DRS and KERS, etc. NASCAR drivers simply use the cars as an extension of themselves to get their point across. There's no personality in F1. I've watched every F1 race for 5 years. Still mostly zzzzz. Why do many open wheel drivers apsire to NASCAR, but more often than not, fail? Who has gone from NASCAR to F1? There is huge money in F1 for some drivers, but little for endorsements, unlike NASCAR.

I've been to ~140 NASCAR races and can say that fans cover a range of demographics, not just one. Certainly there are far fewer of some types than others, but all that big money doesn't come just from trailer dwelling rednecks, as some would like to think.

People talk about driving around in circles (BTW, there are no circle tracks in the top 3 NASCAR series. Maybe people need a refresher in basic geometry.) as being boring, but soccer is the number one sport in the world. 89 minutes of nothing, with maybe 10 seconds of highlights in a game. Whew, gotta sit down for that.
I went to the first ever Formula 1 race in Austin last year. We were one of very few Americans. You want to talk about diversity of demographics?? LOL your NASCAR race doesn't have anything on the diversity at a Formula 1 race. NASCAR is an American sport, Formula 1 is a global sport. I'm sure there are international NASCAR fans but it's not anywhere on the same level as Formula 1. What a lame attempt to try and bolster your sports demographics. When we tried to fly out the Monday following the race the airport was a mess due to a higher than average number of international flyers. Our flight was packed with Formula 1 fans, many of them from other countries. We were sitting next to some Ferrari fans who flew to Austin from Italy. We spoke to a guy who came from England while waiting in line for food. He came to the race with his buddy from South Africa.

No offense, but it simply seems like the technicalities and difficulties facing more complex sports are beyond you. You need things to be simple. That's fine, but personally I enjoy the science and engineering that goes behind the Formula 1 cars. They are so much more complex and far more intense than what NASCAR has to offer.

And again with endorsements, many of them have endorsements. The problem is that because Formula 1 is more popular internationally most of their endorsements are not aired in the US. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. Plus it's a silly argument. They all make millions of dollars a year.

Not only that, but *gasp* Formula 1 drivers actually have to be in decent shape. You don't see any chubby Formula 1 drivers, something as small as gaining weight can effect their ability to race. Oh that's right, technicalities are boring to you.

You're really playing into the "Americans are ignorant" thing with your post. Soccer is another sport that displays an intense amount of athleticism and while it's not as action packed as basketball, still requires a lot of work and effort.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I went to the first ever Formula 1 race in Austin last year. We were one of very few Americans. You want to talk about diversity of demographics?? LOL your NASCAR race doesn't have anything on the diversity at a Formula 1 race. NASCAR is an American sport, Formula 1 is a global sport. I'm sure there are international NASCAR fans but it's not anywhere on the same level as Formula 1. What a lame attempt to try and bolster your sports demographics. When we tried to fly out the Monday following the race the airport was a mess due to a higher than average number of international flyers. Our flight was packed with Formula 1 fans, many of them from other countries. We were sitting next to some Ferrari fans who flew to Austin from Italy. We spoke to a guy who came from England while waiting in line for food. He came to the race with his buddy from South Africa.

No offense, but it simply seems like the technicalities and difficulties facing more complex sports are beyond you. You need things to be simple. That's fine, but personally I enjoy the science and engineering that goes behind the Formula 1 cars. They are so much more complex and far more intense than what NASCAR has to offer.

And again with endorsements, many of them have endorsements. The problem is that because Formula 1 is more popular internationally most of their endorsements are not aired in the US. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. Plus it's a silly argument. They all make millions of dollars a year.

Not only that, but *gasp* Formula 1 drivers actually have to be in decent shape. You don't see any chubby Formula 1 drivers, something as small as gaining weight can effect their ability to race. Oh that's right, technicalities are boring to you.

You're really playing into the "Americans are ignorant" thing with your post. Soccer is another sport that displays an intense amount of athleticism and while it's not as action packed as basketball, still requires a lot of work and effort.
No doubt that F1 cars are the highest form of technical expertise and far more of these $$$$$$$$$$$$ are spent to entertain their fans.
The one thing they lack is close competition.
In F1 the lap times between first and second could be as much as 1/2 to one second.
In NASCAR the entire field can be as close as 1 sec.

Where is the Competition in F1

Foreigners and some Americans are impressed by exotic Supercars that only the rich can buy but rarely see any track time. Many of these people are F1 fans.
Most NASCAR fans in this country are impressed with cars that are in their price range and are more impressed with driving skills rather than spending skills.
I have watched F1 and rarely is the racing exciting. The race in Texas was an exception. Perhaps our tracks are more conducive to better competition. Maybe that's the problem with F1. The foreign tracks.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
The Muslims bow to the east in communal prayer...Some America Christians toss in a few props when they pray- like maybe some fast cars ....and a beer. Communal prayer of any kind has always struck me as strange- Christians are clearly instructed to petition God in private...but they don't. There is some scripture that insists that we do not pray in public and bring attention to ourselves in a vain attempt to show OTHERS how holy we are....it's just ritual..and has little to do with God....Gentlemen start your engines.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

How should the drivers and teams be punished? I don't know that taking points away is the best answer, but I don't see a better way, unless it's big(ger) fines.

1) Why should they be punished for something said?

2) IF they must be punished, taking away points earned on the track is BS. Let them run a race or two in cars painted plain white with a number, nothing else, their sponsors will handle the rest.

To me, the day NASCAR announced the taking away of points for something said was the day they announced they were about politically correct entertainment and no longer a serious racing organization.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Uh, a TEAM using a strategy to better its chances at a championship is common in all racing, including NASCAR, no different than one team member allowing another to lead a lap to gain the points.

It's hardly the same as a sanctioning body arbitrarily taking away race earned points for something a driver said, that's politically correct BS and has NOTHING to do with racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing