Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times

Advertisements

My interest is down to just the road courses now which were always my favorite.

As I mentioned before in another post I am in the south in the metal trades and over the 28 years in which I receive a handful of apprentices each year I am finding since the popularity of the late 80's and early 90's there is currently no interest in NASCAR. Being one of the handful of old guys left I find no one talks about the races anymore.

In the early nineties there were NASCAR pools, lots of people wearing NASCAR gear and come Monday talk was about the race.

My apprentices live for college football, NASCAR has their work cut out for them in the coming years. Not sure if stage racing is going to be the factor getting fans back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
I didn't care for the 'stages' idea and now I'm fully against them. It does kinda feel like the NBA where you ignore the first half and/or the first 3 quarters and tune in at the end. Not good.

Anyway, the lapped traffic last night at the end was super bad. Those guys need to get out of the way not 'race' the leader. I know the justification but that was ridiculous. Cost Jones a shot at Busch in the end. Drop to the apron and take your foot out of the throttle, how hard is that? Watching them take the leaders line and stay on their quarter panel through the corner was not a good look.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I didn't care for the 'stages' idea and now I'm fully against them. It does kinda feel like the NBA where you ignore the first half and/or the first 3 quarters and tune in at the end. Not good.

Anyway, the lapped traffic last night at the end was super bad. Those guys need to get out of the way not 'race' the leader. I know the justification but that was ridiculous. Cost Jones a shot at Busch in the end. Drop to the apron and take your foot out of the throttle, how hard is that? Watching them take the leaders line and stay on their quarter panel through the corner was not a good look.
even lao down cars are racing others for position, so why should they just capitulate and let the leaders go by, and give an advantage to their direct competition? at all track the leaders have to deal with lapped traffic, especially at the short tracks.

its part of racing.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Camping World CEO says if you are "OK" with Trump, then he doesn't want your business at his stores:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marc...-business.html

I wonder how it will affect the truck series, if at all.

Mark Martin has spoken out and said he will cancel his new RV purchase he had planned from Camping World.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:23 AM

^^Martin never was very smart. I doubt it'll have much impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
even lao down cars are racing others for position, so why should they just capitulate and let the leaders go by, and give an advantage to their direct competition? at all track the leaders have to deal with lapped traffic, especially at the short tracks.

its part of racing.
At the end like that in a close race, yes they should move over and maybe lose a position. During the race that's fine but with 10 laps to go move out of the way.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
At the end like that in a close race, yes they should move over and maybe lose a position. During the race that's fine but with 10 laps to go move out of the way.
then go watch indycar racing instead, nascar is for real racing. and that means dealing with lapped traffic even in the last couple of laps in a race.

it is called RACING after all.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:21 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then go watch indycar racing instead, nascar is for real racing. and that means dealing with lapped traffic even in the last couple of laps in a race.

it is called RACING after all.
I'm sorry, but stage racing, debris cautions, "lucky dogs," wave-arounds, green-white-checkers, and pouring adhesive on the track to artificially induce multiple grooves don't exactly constitute "real racing."

Old 08-21-2017, 05:03 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
^^Martin never was very smart. I doubt it'll have much impact.

Mmm.. Tough call. If you're racing side-by-side with someone for position and you're a lap down.. No.. I disagree with you. one position in the final standings can make all the difference.

If you're a lap down and following (or not) another lap down car.. Not actively battling for the position.. Then yes.. Get out of the preferred line.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Yes that's what I mean. Sat night there were several cars just being road blocks not actively fighting for anything. Make a gentleman's agreement for the other scenario. I mean you've been lapped, either way get out of the way. Don't cost a guy a shot at a win because you're mad because you're awful. haha

Old 08-24-2017, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Camping World CEO says if you are "OK" with Trump, then he doesn't want your business at his stores:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marc...-business.html

I wonder how it will affect the truck series, if at all.

Mark Martin has spoken out and said he will cancel his new RV purchase he had planned from Camping World.
It's going to affect a lot of things considering Camping World and Good Sam are sister companies. I don't think he's going to like the backlash from the retired RV crowd either...

I'm now done with them only due to inserting himself and his companies into something that had absolutely nothing to do with politics. Tell people to stay out due to what the president says, Okay, I will...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing