Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 05:51 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I expect it to be a Kyle Busch kind of race. Harvick making a late charge. Logano probably does well.

The people who can drive an ill-handling car the best or who can hold on and their crews can make the best adjustments.

Also.. I look for the tough guys to do OK.. These guys haven't been in a car for nearly 2 months. It's going to be hot. Here in the upstate of SC it's set to be mid 80's this weekend. Pee Dee is usually a few degrees hotter. So, your Jimmie Johnson workout obsessive types that can handle the heat and driving a tough track.

It won't surprise me to see some people fall out and some relief drivers come into play.
Looks like your predictions were not bad! At least for Harvick, he was mostly dominant Sunday, leading 159 of the 293 laps.

JJ's body may have been fit, but gosh-darn, it was awful to see him wreck just yards from the stage one finish line. And poor Stenhouse...ouch. What a bummer for him and his team.

Otherwise the drivers seemed to take the race rather cautiously, for the most part preserving their cars and just getting back into the groove of things. I have a feeling they will step it up for the Wednesday night race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Looks like your predictions were not bad! At least for Harvick, he was mostly dominant Sunday, leading 159 of the 293 laps.

JJ's body may have been fit, but gosh-darn, it was awful to see him wreck just yards from the stage one finish line. And poor Stenhouse...ouch. What a bummer for him and his team.

Otherwise the drivers seemed to take the race rather cautiously, for the most part preserving their cars and just getting back into the groove of things. I have a feeling they will step it up for the Wednesday night race.

Eh.. Logano really didn't threaten, although.. For the most part, he was a top-15 car all day. Busch was much the same.. he would have been there at the end, I think, save for the loose wheel.. Not for the win, but right there with the other JGR cars competing for a top-5.

I was impressed by Kenseth. Now, Darlington is one of his best tracks.. His first two cup starts were at Darlington, if I recall.. Subbing for Bill Elliott and then Bobby Labonte. But still.. Top 10 after nearly 2 years off, never driven this car in competition? Anyone still want to say he certainly won't win this year?

JJ.. What was that? I didn't see Buescher do anything wrong there. I didn't even see him check up. Looked to me like JJ just flat ran into the back of him.. Misjudged.. But.. I presume there was a check-up I just didn't see.

Inverted top-20 for the starting order. Which makes things interesting.. Ryan Preece and Ty Dillon are your front row for Wednesday.

However.. There's a problem.

It's pouring the eff down here in the upstate right now. Set to do this through Thursday. So.. Yeah. That'll be a wrench in the works.

If they manage to get the race in.. Going to be a green track, because no chance of Xfinity running on Tuesday. Thursday afternoon and evening are possibilities.. So.. Pending on how weird they want to get.. We could see something like Trucks at 10am.. Xfinity at 2pm.. Cup at 8pm on Thursday.. 3 races, 1 track, 1 day. But.. Not sure they could pull that off with 'social distancing'

assuming they run.. Green track.. And it'll be about 30 degrees cooler if run in the evening. So.. Don't expect the same thing.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:23 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
I was really impressed with John Hunter Nemechek getting a top 10 in a Front Row Motorsports car. That kid can wheel a car for sure.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
JJ.. What was that? I didn't see Buescher do anything wrong there. I didn't even see him check up. Looked to me like JJ just flat ran into the back of him.. Misjudged.. But.. I presume there was a check-up I just didn't see.
I didn't see a check up at all and JJ didn't claim anyone was at fault but him.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:42 PM

We've got 2 races, at least, that we haven't talked about..

2nd Darlington.. I havent' actually watched all of yet.. Sitting on my DVR.. But, that, coupled with the 600.. Chase Elliott is snakebit, ain't he?

I couldn't believe he pitted at Charlotte. The amount of difference clean air made.. That just didn't make any sense to me.

I was shocked he made it back up to third (Credited 2nd) at the end.

And JJ.. Well, I guess it's a good thing he didn't 'win'. Losing a second place isn't as bad as losing the race win.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 PM

287 posts, read 212,337 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe he pitted at Charlotte. The amount of difference clean air made.. That just didn't make any sense to me.
He couldn't win either way. If he had stayed out, the two cars behind him would have pitted and likely overtaken him on fresh tires. At least that's the way I see it...

Old 05-27-2020, 01:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
imo chase should ahve stayed out, as no one was going to pit behind him until you got back to around 7th place. but since he did pit, he should have only taken on two tires. that might ahve gotten him close enough to the leaders to where he could possibly have won the race.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
imo chase should ahve stayed out, as no one was going to pit behind him until you got back to around 7th place. but since he did pit, he should have only taken on two tires. that might ahve gotten him close enough to the leaders to where he could possibly have won the race.

Well, he didn't know how many would pit. I was a bit surprised at how many stayed out.. My opinion, Keselowski, who was running second if I recall.. Was the lynchpin.. once he didn't pit (And I think we all knew he wouldn't) I think that influenced many more people behind him to not pit.

Hindsight, of course we say he shouldn't pit.. but in the moment.. If he hadn't pitted, while I think he would have still won.. You don't know how many people behind him might have come in. If he had stayed out and everyone came in.. He was a sitting duck.

Oh, and Chase won the Truck race.. Claiming the $100k bounty... and supposedly.. Kyle Busch's interview was not aired afterwards.. They did the interview, but didn't air it.. So.. I haven't figured out the details on that one yet.

Ok.. So.. The interview is actually not as bad as it was made out to be. He dropped a swear word, but it was directed towards his team because apparently the truck wasn't setup properly and his feeling was that since they had 6 months to work on it.. That was unacceptable. He wasn't necessarily pissed at the bounty or that he lost.. But because he lost, in his mind, because the truck was setup improperly.

Last edited by Labonte18; 05-27-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Wednesday night Charlotte Cup race was postponed last night due to rain, racing tonight (Thursday 5/28) weather permitting of course. Also, due to the Charlotte rain delay the Saturday Xfinity race at Bristol has been pushed back to Monday, Cup is still running on Sunday. Mother nature has not been kind to the NASCAR schedule so far. But the weather looks great for Bristol on Sunday.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Wednesday night Charlotte Cup race was postponed last night due to rain, racing tonight (Thursday 5/28) weather permitting of course. Also, due to the Charlotte rain delay the Saturday Xfinity race at Bristol has been pushed back to Monday, Cup is still running on Sunday. Mother nature has not been kind to the NASCAR schedule so far. But the weather looks great for Bristol on Sunday.

It's been a wild May down here in the south. GSP in May averages 3.8" of rain.. We had 12" this May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing