Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times

Advertisements

On the last lap of the race, Regean Smith made a pass below the yellow line in the tri-oval to get ahead of Tony Stewart at the finish line. Stewart appeared to force him below the yellow in the first place but it is illegal to advance your position when you are below the yellow. NASCAR eventually gave Stewart the win. Do you think NASCAR made the right call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
On the last lap of the race, Regean Smith made a pass below the yellow line in the tri-oval to get ahead of Tony Stewart at the finish line. Stewart appeared to force him below the yellow in the first place but it is illegal to advance your position when you are below the yellow. NASCAR eventually gave Stewart the win. Do you think NASCAR made the right call?
Probably was the right call, Smith started to go outside , he should have continued. Thank's to Carl Edwards the end of that race was a yawner, it was going to be a good ending!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 PM

61 posts, read 268,131 times
I thought the rule is that it's illegal to advance your position below the yellow unless you are forced down there. I think Smith was robbed. If it's illegal to advance your position when you're forced below the line, then why even make a stipulation for being forced below the line?

Smith made a good move to get a nose below Stewart. I think Smith should have just kept his car on the yellow line and let Stewart spin himself out coming down across the 01's nose.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 AM

21 posts, read 52,985 times
I am not sure. Any other lap than the last one and Smith gets a stop and go penalty, but I thought the last lap was an exception. I want to hear more about how the rules were written.

I understand the yellow line rule for the routine or middle part of the race, and keeping cars off the apron. But once the checkerd drops the guys should slow down and the risk is reduced, plus the odds are slim a car will be exiting the pits below the yellow line on the last lap.
I am in favor of letting them race to the checkers with no consideration of the yellow line, but the rules have to be enforced however they may be wrote at the time.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I was happy to see Tony win but I question NASCAR on this call. Smith was running second for such a long time---you'd think he could at least get second! NASCAR said Smith should have let off the gas---but is that racing? He could have taken Tony out...blocking is what racing is about....it's a tuff call. Course had Smith taken Tony out at 200mph with the whole field behind them I can't imagine what kind of wreck that may have caused! I still feel badly for Smith though! He was forced below the yellow liine.
Now on the truck race in Datona, Feb. 2007, 3 wide, Benson goes below the yellow line and gets a second---so why this descrepancy? Plus Benson was not "forced" down below the yellow line and Smith was! Something doesn't seem right. Are the rules different for each race??? Oh well, NASCAR can't be argued with!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-06-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times
Go shrub!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
From what I understand, the yellow line rule differs between the trucks and the car series, so the comparison is void.

IMHO, I am okay with the way the race turned out. Stewart, as the leader, has the ability to block. Smith (and I hate saying this because I don't like wrecking anyone) had the opportunity to hold the low line and let Stewart spin out. Or, he could've lifted and saved two cars and a bunch of spots. Instead, he went below the line and made the pass.

Similar situation happened in reverse to Stewart and it seems the rule worked correctly this time too.

I got a bigger kick out of Smith whining that "2nd place sucks". He's lucky a bunch of good cars got taken out or he wouldn't have been anywhere near 2nd at the end of the day. Let alone where HIS MISTAKE will place him in the official results. ***Results are official... Regan Smith 18th place***

Too bad Carl wiped out several contenders with his mistake. Oh well, I was pleased to see him take fault and not pull his typical "aw shucks" crap.

Overall, it was a great race though! My #2 guy got the win and #1 guy looked stout all day (until he was collected in someone elses mess). But, that's racing!!!

Last edited by Stripes17; 10-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Update

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
The rules for the cars and the trucks are the same even the yellow line rule but it depends on "who" is interpretating them. From what I have read the rules are the rules for them all! Infact NASCAR had a big meeting yesterday and sent letters to all of the drivers...trucks and the cars!! I am not saying it is right or wrong I'm just saying the rules are them same for them all!!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
The wrong call was made when they went to 'plate' racing. With non-plate motors they'd have the HP to attempt an outside pass. Ditch the plates and and limit speed with aero and/or tire changes.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The wrong call was made when they went to 'plate' racing. With non-plate motors they'd have the HP to attempt an outside pass. Ditch the plates and and limit speed with aero and/or tire changes.
Love the thinking................it'll never happen though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing