Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well for one thing you don't do it sitting on your ass unless YOU provide the power, as with crewers and wheelchair basketball players.

I don't know why people are so keen to defend racing as a sport.
That's ok because we don't know why people are so keen to say it's NOT a sport.

Is someone tying you down and forcing you to watch racing? If not why does it bother you so much?

This is a tired old argument and someone has to start up EVERY single season.
What joy do you people get from this?
Seriously. Can't we be a LITTLE bit original with our questions?

I don't understand alot of sports but that doesn't mean I have to question wether it's a sport or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:20 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well for one thing you don't do it sitting on your ass unless YOU provide the power, as with crewers and wheelchair basketball players.
I don't know why people are so keen to defend racing as a sport.[/quote]

"Sport" is commonly defined as : "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively"

Until you offer a better definition of what makes something a sport I guess we'll have to condiser racing as being one, wheether you dislike it or not doesn't change that fact.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
i would consider nascar a big waste of gas!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i would consider nascar a big waste of gas!!!

Which shows you do not even know what they use for fuel!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Which shows you do not even know what they use for fuel!!!

Which is what other than gas? Admittedly not pump gas but still what would fall in the category of 'gas'

Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Is auto racing a sport?

I don't know but here's what Ernest Hemingway is supposed to have said-

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Is auto racing a sport?

I don't know but here's what Ernest Hemingway is supposed to have said-

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.
And Hemingway was a great man!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If horse racing;polo;and many others that require physical conditioning and learned skills are sports then auto racing is.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 AM

86 posts, read 326,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Granted its not a stick & ball sport, but IMO its a sport nonetheless. It does take a certain degree of athlecticism to endure the distance of the race while maintaining focus & reflexes throughout the race. Pit crews syncronizing with precision which allows them to service a car in a matter of seconds or rebuild 8000hp engines in a matter of minutes.
I wonder what engine was that and for what car.

Anyways, Auto Racing also called Motorsport because it is a sport. Racing for almost 2 hours running flat out lap in and lap out isn't for everyone. Hand to eye coordination is there plus you need very good reflexes or else you will miss the apex or worst bump into someone and get into a huge accident.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrej View Post
I wonder what engine was that and for what car.

Anyways, Auto Racing also called Motorsport because it is a sport. Racing for almost 2 hours running flat out lap in and lap out isn't for everyone. Hand to eye coordination is there plus you need very good reflexes or else you will miss the apex or worst bump into someone and get into a huge accident.

Top Fuel Funy Cars and Dragsters. Ever hear of John Force? 8000 horsepower would be a conservative guess of those engines. Oh, and we have on avg. 45 minutes to rebuild the engine, clutch,and any other part replacement/repair that happens...and make it run again before pulling the the staging lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing