Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Check this vid out. Really scary

Default Viral Title Player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
Wow! What are those people thinking anyhow?

It's not as if those intersections look like they WOULDN'T have a traffic light or anything.

I also really hate people that think a "right on red" doesn't mean they still have to come to a complete stop BEFORE they make that right turn.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Cell phone driving ban.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Check this vid out. Really scary

Default Viral Title Player
When I see stuff like this, it actually makes me think we're awfully lucky that there aren't a whole lot MORE serious accidents at intersections.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Even IF they are talking on a cellphone...what about the ones in the video who sped right through the light between cars that were already stopped for it and waiting?

I mean....you REALLY have to not be paying any attention at all to do that!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Interesting. Shows both the scariness of blatant red light running, and points out the ineffectiveness of the cameras to stop the people that are the real danger. All the red light cameras in the world will not stop THAT particular behavior: all but one were people blowing through red lights that had been red the entire time the camera was rolling, and the one that wasn't was a guy doing what looked to be 70+ mph, so it wasn't a case of simply not paying attention to the light. Same for the one early on that was a truck that went through the red and hit it's undercarriage on the pavement making sparks. That guy was seriously hauling ass, which means that both of those guys were probably drunk or on the run from the law already. And in both cases, if you were the person doing that would you rather have a no-points small fine or a DUI or whatever criminal charge would have happend if a cop was there instead of a camera?

Studies have show than increasing the yellow light duration by a single second reduces red light running by over 85%. That means that the VAST majority of people "running" a red light are doing so at the tag end of a yellow and would have stopped had they had time (had they NOT wanted to stop, then those studies would have show the same number of red light runners regardless of yellow light timing), and the last 15% are the people in this video, who won't stop even if EVERY light has a camera on it. They aren't trying to beat a yellow and simply got caught in the red, they are running a stale red light that has been red for a while.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
nice

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Red light cameras don't reduce runners...it only means more money for the town.

I've seen several videos of runners, and all were brazen. The drivers did not care about a red light.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 AM

In Pittsburgh, the traffic lights used to be:

GREEN
GREEN-YELLOW
YELLOW
RED

Green-Yellow meant that it was going to change soon.

If you were caught running the straight YELLOW light, you were usually ticketed. Yellow meant stop unless you absolutely couldn't do it safely.

It was the only town set up that way and it worked well. But the State decided that every city had to have the same standard so they made them stop doing it.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Studies have show than increasing the yellow light duration by a single second reduces red light running by over 85%. That means that the VAST majority of people "running" a red light are doing so at the tag end of a yellow and would have stopped had they had time (had they NOT wanted to stop, then those studies would have show the same number of red light runners regardless of yellow light timing), and the last 15% are the people in this video, who won't stop even if EVERY light has a camera on it. They aren't trying to beat a yellow and simply got caught in the red, they are running a stale red light that has been red for a while.
On the flip side of the coin, you have Council Bluffs, Iowa, where they have SHORTENED the duration of the yellow lights to LESS THAN 3 SECONDS in order to nab more people - and they're doing this in a 35 mph zone less than one-quarter mile off the Interstate.

Public safety, my butt!

Idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive