Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

On the other hand, if you care as much as these guys (or their friends) do about what other people may think of you driving a *GASP* Prius, give in to the fear and get a Civic -- you'll "blend."

As I said, you can't go wrong with either one. But the Prius is a better hybrid.
Well said, who cares what others, mainly republicans, say about what you drive. Drive both and then decide for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM

232 posts, read 632,945 times
There is also the Ford Fiesta that gets 40mpg highway 29 city and I think is more then $10k less then the Pruis for the base model, not sure about the Honda and also not sure what you get with the Fiesta base model compared to the Prius. However, it'll probably take 150,000 miles of driving the Prius before you make up for the price difference from the money you save from better gas milage.

(40+29)/2= 34.5
1000 miles / 34.5= 28.98
$3.20 x 28.98= $92.74 to drive 1000 miles assuming your average between city and highway driving is exactly 50%. For me, it'd more like 75% highway and 25% city.

(51+48)/2= 49.5
1000 miles /49.5= 20.20
$3.20 x 20.20= $64.64 to drive 1000 miles and pretty much will be @ that weather you do mostly highway or city.

Now I am comparing 50% highway/city, so the Ford is at a big disadvantage because if you do more highway, it'll compare much better.

$92.74-$64.64= $28.10 that you save per 1000 miles on the Prius.
$10,000/$28.10= 355.87 is the number of times you have to do 1000 miles for $28.10 to equal @$10k
1000 miles x 355.87= 355,870 miles.......that's where all that money you are saving by getting a prius pays off for the extra money you spent getting a prius.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I would look at the Ford Escape. Safer, and more room.

It scores among the lowest in roof strength, so it's not that safe. A roll over or collision with the roof area and it could collapse.
Roof strength evaluations: Small SUVs

Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
There is also the Ford Fiesta that gets 40mpg highway 29 city and I think is more then $10k less then the Pruis ;;;
You should have plenty of choices if you only want 40 mpg. The last Corolla I rented in Colorado got 42mpg in the mountains and it was an AUTOMATIC

50 mpg since 1976, Where have you been? No dinosaurs, OPEC, or toxic batteries required. new or used veggie oil, peanut oil, canola, jet-A, kerosene, used motor oil, Bio-Diesel (non-food of course,,, Go Algae !)... all and more choices work just fine for fuel.

RE: costs... I paid $35.00 from my last 50 mpg 'Rabbit', it will go well over 300,000 miles, and then only need a $600 rebuild (parts cost). I put a timing belt ($7.95) on it every 100,000 miles. NO TUNE-UP's required

so... Using Free grease for fuel, and getting 'like-new' tires at the junk yard for $5 each; my cost / mile is about $.00175 / mile INCLUDING the price of the car! - (hint: this is very 'sustainable' ). Your $40k car would need to run 22,852,174 trouble free miles to = this. (using no gas, or tires, or batteries)

For more 'Deluxe' Travel, I have a few '96 & '97 Passat Diesels. They get 47 - 55 mpg (At 70 mph running AC) They have 25 gal tanks, i.e. 1250 mile range between 'topping-off-the-tank'. Airbags, leather, PS, anti-lock, all the 'ritzy' stuff. The will go well beyond 500,000 miles, getting 50 mpg day in and day out City OR Highway (on free grease too).

If you want a hybrid, wait and get a diesel hybrid, they are good for well over 75 mpg in Europe now (you can get 70 mpg in a 'Hybrid' Insight, if you are VERY careful). I have a friend w/ experimental diesel Scirocco that gets well over 60 mpg consistently. I helped several folks build full electric cars in the 1970's, Our company had a 'plug-in' parking lot for full electric cars back in 1975.

We've come a LONG ways...
50 mpg since 1976, Where have you been? No dinosaurs, OPEC, or toxic batteries required.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
I don't consider myself a Republican, because they are too LIBERAL for my tastes, but I would certainly buy a Prius because it's a great car! Conservatives love value, and the Prius is the best value for the so called "green" cars.

The suggestion of a Yaris or Corolla is also good. My Corolla with 5 speed got between 38-42 MPG before this stinking gasohol was mandated here. Now I get 4 MPG less, but I pay no premium for the hybrid system.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I don't consider myself a Republican, because they are too LIBERAL for my tastes, but I would certainly buy a Prius because it's a great car! Conservatives love value, and the Prius is the best value for the so called "green" cars.

The suggestion of a Yaris or Corolla is also good. My Corolla with 5 speed got between 38-42 MPG before this stinking gasohol was mandated here. Now I get 4 MPG less, but I pay no premium for the hybrid system.
yes you do you pay around $7K-$10K more over a regular gas version of the same car.

10 grand can buy alot of gas for a base honda civic. plus every 7-8 years you have to spend another $7-$10 grand to replace the battery packs in the hybrid.

the prius is a gimmick they don't really get that great fuel mileage. a diesel VW golf or jetta will out do it on the freeways and cost less to buy aq cobalt XFE gets maybe 5-6 MPG less but also cost about 15 grand less too and any GM dealer or local mechanic can work on it and find parts for it.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
On the other hand, if you care as much as these guys (or their friends) do about what other people may think of you driving a *GASP* Prius, give in to the fear and get a Civic -- you'll "blend."
Actually, my friend had issues with vandalism with her Prius, when parked in an open lot or on city streets, and she felt it was because of the car as it had never happened with other vehicles, and has not happened with the Civic. Unfortunately, she has no option of a garage near her place of work, and had been made uncomfortable by people in the neighborhood who had preconceived notions of her because of the car, to the point where it was distracting to the performance of her duties.

I know people of all persuasions who drive a Prius, just the same as people who drive Fords, Hondas, Chevrolets, etc. For my own preference, I just am not enamored with the handling of the vehicle, though for in-town commuting, I agree that it's a good choice. And, I don't feel as safe in one, which is reinforced by the small tires and handling which feels numb to me, but again, that's just my own opinion and is not reflective of a sentiment about others who drive them.

If Toyota made a Hybrid that handled well, that would certainly make a difference, but it seems that the better handling is reserved for Lexus, at least in my opinion.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-18-2010, 05:33 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yes you do you pay around $7K-$10K more over a regular gas version of the same car.

10 grand can buy alot of gas for a base honda civic. plus every 7-8 years you have to spend another $7-$10 grand to replace the battery packs in the hybrid.

the prius is a gimmick they don't really get that great fuel mileage. a diesel VW golf or jetta will out do it on the freeways and cost less to buy aq cobalt XFE gets maybe 5-6 MPG less but also cost about 15 grand less too and any GM dealer or local mechanic can work on it and find parts for it.

You Hit It Right On The Head.......

My sediments exactly and I have felt this way ever since they introduced the Prius and other Hybrids.

One of my best friends just couldn't agree with me and after a ton of research bought a 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid. He brought it over for me to see and drive..

Bottom line ..I was not very impressed.
A Very noticeable transfer bump from electric to gas engine was one issue.

Since then he has had a number of issues and they have not been able to fix all of them. The last we talked he was ready to go for the LEMON LAW here in the State of Washingon unless they fixed it on the last try.
They among other things completely replaced the Battery Pak.

I am about ready to say, I told you so, but he is too good a friend to do that.

Maybe this is a Fluke but I personally would just by the gas engine with automatic and be happy.

Wait until the total benefits Truly Outpace the other offerings out there.

SF

Last edited by silverfox; 07-18-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
Don't forget the Honda Insight. It's a Prius wannabe, but doesn't measure up.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah you are right, 50mpg is just a gimmick and is actually horrible gas milage. I highly doubt a Cobalt gets 45mpg and you are right aout needing a mechanic for the cobalt since they are not known for thier great reliability unlike the Prius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive