Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It also depends HIGHLY on what the car is. There are plenty of cars out there that are "collector" cars that have held their value in this market and still command high dollar. Most have been holding steady and only a select few are going for less than what they were a few years ago. Anything "custom" that is far from original that has been heavily customized has taken a bath. A car like ShelbyGirl bought.... holding steady and not going down. The cars that are usually on this end of the market tend to be owned by people that have not taken a bath in the stock market or any other market. Most in this camp own several cars that range from collector cars to higher end exotics. Those that THOUGHT they had something special and maybe did not know the market that well have not been as lucky. These are the ones that bought the one car and just bought because they liked it and did not do any due diligence when it comes to understanding the market.
Understood....and really almost any customized car takes a bath....I'm talking cars with "tasteful mods" that can easily be put back original in an afternoon. I think the only cars I've seen that have held on to value are bone stock virgin survivors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
WhoooHoooo! Just got a call from the transport trucker...and he'll be here between 11-12 tomorrow to unload the new Beast!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
What a sweet Stingray! That baby is gorgeous.

Just out of curiosity, for the uninitiated to the realm of collectible autos, how do you go about assuring the provenance & authenticity of your car? Do you buy through specialized brokers or auction houses? Or only purchase autos that have been inspected & won awards at national shows?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 AM

A little bit of all the above...and paperwork and lots of documentation! In this case, and it is a first for us...We bought the car sight unseen! We were unable to get away for a trip out to Ca., so relied fully on our son (DH is hoping and praying our son absorbed all that was taught to him over the yrs!) and a good friend who is very savvy concerning the BB's and their authenticity. Normally, DH would have made the trip and spent hrs combing over it. Needless to say, I have more pictures of #'s and the like from all over the car. Not to say a # can not be stamped onto an engine or whatever. We were also given records from the all past 4 owners. Also, DH belongs to some Vette Group that tracks and records all kinds of #'s....Everything has checked out perfectly . I know this car as been shown, and won Best In Show a few times, but as far as I know, nothing on the pro. circuit. Doubting it ...as she was driven, no trailer queen...And she will be driven at our house!
Pics to come this afternoon after she arrives!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Pics added

As luck would have it, some a$$clown had to park his boat/trailer in the street yesterday and the truck could not make it down the street. Had to drive our truck up the street so they could load the extra set of tires/wheels in the bed for me. Thankfully, my DH got home just about then to drive the "newbie" home.
She's just about everything we expected...we knew she'd need some work....wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't work on her. Last restoration was done in '99...so just a few cosmetic things we'll redo....Paint is dam near perfect!

First look

Hoping the brakes are good!

Love that "Stinger" hood!

Hard top came off immediately, won't go back on until she is sold

Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Oh S, she's gorgeous!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

I cracked up the other night when DH got off the phone w/ a good friend and another car guy. He just bought one as well. First person I thought of was you.

Such an awesome car.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

I cracked up the other night when DH got off the phone w/ a good friend and another car guy. He just bought one as well. First person I thought of was you.

Such an awesome car.

Thanks! Have had her out all weekend....and right now she is completely taken apart as far as center console, dash, and door panels go. Radio pulled.... cosmetically, she just needs a sprucing with a few restored parts.
Mechanically....not bad...bushings need to be replaced...and we knew that.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Hey ShelbyGirl, thought you might like this

YouTube - NELSON RIDDLE THEME FROM ROUTE 66 & 1964 CORVETTE RESTORATION

Complete with 'Corvette' music

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Hey ShelbyGirl, thought you might like this

YouTube - NELSON RIDDLE THEME FROM ROUTE 66 & 1964 CORVETTE RESTORATION

Complete with 'Corvette' music
LOL....looks all too familiar! We brought home a 61 Austin Healy one time that looked very much like the "mid" pics. Shell of car, a gazillion boxes and I swear, pieces falling off as we trailered it home. That was 4-5 yr old project!
Thanks G3S....sending this on to DH...It is one we had not seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive