Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'll challenge you to a lap around any technical course versus my S2000 and see if you still think so when you meet me at the end
While S2k's are great cars, they are nothing particularly special. I won't have any trouble sleeping with the 5 series in the garage.

I've always heard that BMW's have a special handling quality, a perfect balance between comfort and performance but I've always brushed it off as being some negligible quality. After buying our 2007 530i I can truly say that there is a particular quality to the way it drives that I haven't felt in many other cars. I appreciate it more the more I drive it. I've always lowered my cars in the past without thinking twice about the decrease in ride comfort but the BMW drives so well yet remains comfortable with a stock suspension that I'd feel guilty even trying to change it.

My previous cars were a 1995 Nissan 300ZX and a 2003 Infiniti G35 (I still have this one). They are both great cars but neither one came remotely close to mimicking the superb feel of the BMW.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 08-22-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I'll challenge you to a lap around any technical course versus my S2000 and see if you still think so when you meet me at the end
Let's make it more interesting: your S2K versus a 5-series with any engine -- each carrying 3 adult passengers.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
M3? Deal. Ill bring my lounge chairs so the driver of the M3 can relax at the finish line while you finish up your laps.
You say that now...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I'll chime in -- 5 series all the way! The SHO is nice, but the jury is still out on resale value should you need to trade on a van/SUV in a couple of years.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
While S2k's are great cars, they are nothing particularly special.
I've had soooo many gearhead friends say the same thing till I take them down Mines Road or put them in the passenger's seat during a track day at Laguna Seca...

But to get things back on track: I would definitely take the BMW in this situation, absolutely.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd go w/ the BMW. I also own a BMW and LOVE IT! May be getting a 2nd in the next 6 months. Remember, BMW covers ALL warranty and maint. for the first FOUR YEARS! In the first four years that I owned my 06 3 Series (went w/ it over the 5 since it is going to the teenager ) I did not spend more than $10 on maint minus new tires as EVERYTHING is covered w/ BMW. Except tires and that is your only expense and gas. Everything else they take care of. I can not complain about the level of service, the quality of the vehicle or anything about the car. It has been a wonderful experience. As I said, in 6 months I have to get myself a new ride when the teenager takes over the BMW. The 5 series is one possibility as is a 6 convertible. I'd LOOOOVE an M6 convertible (drooling). Since we knew we were keeping the car we did go ahead and buy the extended warranty for another 4 years. If anything does go wrong then it will be money well spent. If not, it was reassuring to know we would not be out big bucks for anything that could have gone wrong.

After the warranty period, remember, you can take the car to any service tech you find that you are comfortable with that is knowledgable about the vehicle. That DRASTICALLY cuts down the costs of repairs if anything does come up.
The Taurus is covered for 3 years / 36,000 miles bumper to bumper and 5 yr / 60,000 on the power-train....and you can buy a pre-paid maintenance package for a couple hundred bucks more. You can stretch the warranty out to 7 years bumper to bumper for a grand or two probably.

So, the warranties and maintenance are something that you can add-on for pretty much any vehcile out there that you buy....and if it "comes with it" you are paying for it in the price of the car.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Taurus is covered for 3 years / 36,000 miles bumper to bumper and 5 yr / 60,000 on the power-train....and you can buy a pre-paid maintenance package for a couple hundred bucks more. You can stretch the warranty out to 7 years bumper to bumper for a grand or two probably.

So, the warranties and maintenance are something that you can add-on for pretty much any vehcile out there that you buy....and if it "comes with it" you are paying for it in the price of the car.
I agree with the included maintenance point. If it is included - you paid for it. It is really pre-paid maintenance - just like extended warranties.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
I like driving S2k on race tracks. Excelent sports cars. But they are not all around as good at everything as BMW has made their sedans. Not only do you get practical carrying capability for 4-5 people, but you get solidity, luxury, comfort, and a handling/response feel that equals your pure sports car, which is something that you don't get in pretty much any other sedan. It's something BMW perfected decades ago.

The only thing I really dislike about modern BMWs is the lack of a dipstick for checking oil. BMW relies now on oil level sensors, and they've been known to be problematic.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's make it more interesting: your S2K versus a 5-series with any engine -- each carrying 3 adult passengers.
Putting an adult in the rear seat of an S2000 is considered a hate crime in most civilized nations unless the adult is Vern Troyer or maybe creamated and riding in an urn*.

*-disclaimer: larger urns may exceed backseat area storage space.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Putting an adult in the rear seat of an S2000 is considered a hate crime in most civilized nations unless the adult is Vern Troyer or maybe creamated and riding in an urn*.

*-disclaimer: larger urns may exceed backseat area storage space.
What rear seat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive