Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The funny thing is, the T56 in the Cobra is considered the cars biggest weak point, followed closely by the IRS. Ford specced about as off the shelf of a T56 as you could find and blown transmissions were very common even at factory power levels. Look at any raced and modded Cobra and you are bound to either find a modded C4 automatic (serious drag racers) or a Viper spec T56 with hardened gears and synchros. Even the T56 in the 4th gen Camaro is a stouter piece.

Then you get to the issue of the IRS, again just about any modded and raced Cobra is sporting an 8.8 rear these days. The rigged together IRS was just a complete POS in a car with that kind of power.
NJGoat, what years did they use the IRS in the Mustang?

I recall the 8,8 was used in the Mustang starting in '87. Interesting because the Camaro since '82 has always had the crap 7.5 rear, even with the phenomenal LS1. You'd think GM would have at least brought back the 8.5 rear, if not the 12 bolt. Never would have thought Ford too would go the cheap route with a crap rear end like you say.

Also intersting you say the T56 in the Camaro was better than the ones used in the Mustang. I know they did use a mediocre clutch in the Camaro. Many F body owners toasted their stock clutches due to drag racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I believe the way the law is written, is a legal engine swap has to be the same year of the car or newer and has to have all the necessary smog controls.

So in other words, you'd have to find an '04 or newer 4.6 to drop into the car and you'd have to have all the applicable smog controls for the engine you dropped in.

Also since Mustangs came factory with a 4.6 liter V8, then you can find all parts needed, and put it together to where it would be nothing more than a V8 powered car surrounded by the same metal shell used on the 6 cylinder models.

However as pointed out, while a conversion could certainly be done, the cost to convert the car from a 6 to an 8 cyl is not worth it when you can still buy '04 V8 Mustangs for probably less than it would cost you to buy all the parts needed + labor to make his to a V8.
Yes and after everything is all swapped out someone better tell the cars computer so it will know lol

Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yes and after everything is all swapped out someone better tell the cars computer so it will know lol
Well if said individual is smart, he will look for a wrecked but running Mustang and can take out the V8 engine/trans/rear/ECM and all the wiring and if need be, the suspension.....and then transfer them onto his V6 Mustang. Again a lot of work but can be done.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Well if said individual is smart, he will look for a wrecked but running Mustang and can take out the V8 engine/trans/rear/ECM and all the wiring and if need be, the suspension.....and then transfer them onto his V6 Mustang. Again a lot of work but can be done.
But then he will have to tell his insurance company so they can up his rate. If he doesnt he risk them not paying if he wrecks. The op is just a kid dreaming of what he thinks he wants. If you want muscle buy muscle. The old school days are over. If you want a fast car get an old one and do anything you want to it. Heres what Im working on right now
Attached Thumbnails
04 mustange convertible-final-ford-004-400.jpg  

Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
The supercharged Cobras in 03 and 04 had IRS.

Quote:

I recall the 8,8 was used in the Mustang starting in '87. Interesting because the Camaro since '82 has always had the crap 7.5 rear, even with the phenomenal LS1. You'd think GM would have at least brought back the 8.5 rear, if not the 12 bolt. Never would have thought Ford too would go the cheap route with a crap rear end like you say.

Also intersting you say the T56 in the Camaro was better than the ones used in the Mustang. I know they did use a mediocre clutch in the Camaro. Many F body owners toasted their stock clutches due to drag racing.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
But then he will have to tell his insurance company so they can up his rate. If he doesnt he risk them not paying if he wrecks. The op is just a kid dreaming of what he thinks he wants. If you want muscle buy muscle. The old school days are over. If you want a fast car get an old one and do anything you want to it. Heres what Im working on right now
First off Chief nice Fairlane.

You may be on to something about the insurance thing though. Then again I believe when an insurance adjuster pays out to an accident victim, they go off of the book value based off the car's vin. So in other words even if he doesn't report that an engine swapped had occured beforehand, he might get his money if he wrecks but he may not get as much as he would with a V8 Mustang since his vin will obviously depict the car as a V6 model.

I don't think the insurance adjuster would look at him and say "sorry son we can't pay you out because your car doesn't have the stock V6 in it anymore". I don't think this would happen anymore than the insurance adjuster would deliberately open the hood to count the plug wires/plugs to ensure there were no more than 6.

If that were the case then I guess I'm in trouble too...I have a 69 Chevy Nova 2 door that left the factory with an inline 6 but that was swapped out for a V8 about 20 years ago. But the vin still shows it was originally a 6 cylinder car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The supercharged Cobras in 03 and 04 had IRS.
Thanks Frank. I take it there were the only years/models fitted with the IRS eh? Wonder why.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:

Thanks Frank. I take it there were the only years/models fitted with the IRS eh? Wonder why.
I believe that they were experiminting with IRS in the 'flagship' Mustang those years to see if they could make it handle better. It did. But the IRS is not as strong at the solid axle and they have not gone back since.. AND have gotten the suspensions worked out so that the solid axles now handle better then the old IRS Cobras did too

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:

The IRS was first introduced on the 1999 Cobra (NA 32 Valve 4.6L, making 320 horse). The 2001 Cobra was a carry-over from 1999. The special edition 2000 Cobra R also used the IRS. When they introduced the 2003 and 2004 Cobra's they retained the IRS from the older cars, but it was strengthened.

Ford contemplated making the 2005+ Mustang IRS as the D2C (S197) platform the car uses is heavily based on the DEW98 platform that underpinned the Lincoln LS, Thunderbird and the Jaguar S-Type and XF. The plan was scrapped do to cost concerns and the Mustang folks screaming to keep it with a solid rear.

I have to say they did a fantastic job on the rear of the new Mustang. It's probably the best execution of a solid rear axle ever.

The T56 comment was based on the fact that Ford specced a weaker synchro setup versus the 4th Gen F-bodies. For a vehicle that made gobs of torque pretty much off idle, they picked an off the shelf transmission. The most popular swap is to go with a Viper spec that uses stainless synchro's and hardened gears or go with the "Magnum" aftermarket unit.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you aught to not listen to your 'ford engine builders' and see whats really out there. These motors have won 10 best engines 2 years by Wards.. They can spin to 7000 rpm(lsx's are not even close).. Like i said before. 100 hp is yours by bolt ones,, whether you chose to believe it or not. There are many many in the 11.s with just bolt ones. 10's with blowers. 8's with a built short blocks.
Frank, not meaning to offend, but link me to one dyno sheet of a 3V 4.6L making 350+ to the wheels with only bolt ons. I'll go one further and say show me one with bolt-ons and cams (no headwork) that makes 350+ to the wheels and I'll believe you. From what I've seen these motors just aren't capable of making 400 to the crank (about 350 to the wheels) with just bolt-ons.

Popping around some Mustang sites people are HOPING to get 325 - 340 to the wheels out of the following:

Quote:
cams, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust, water pump, low-temp t-stat, tuning, cmcv plates, pulleys, coil packs, coil-on-plug connectors, throttle body, throttle body spacer, intake, lightweight flywheel, spark plugs, and fuel injectors
Guy's talking about getting 350+ are basically talking about an entire engine rebuild and extensive head work. I'll stand by my comments that those motors just don't have much potential outside of forced induction. They are WAY better than the other generations of the 4.6, but still no competition for a GM LSx. As far as spinning to 7k...well, who cares. RPM isn't important for power, it's all about the curve. If you need to spin the 4.6 to 7k to make power great, but it really has no effect on performance when compared to other engines.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'll stand by my comments that those motors just don't have much potential outside of forced induction.
Agreed...I bought my 04 GT with the intention of wanting a sleeper mustang with power. Built up the bottom end and have a 2.1L KB on it @10psi (can go to 14psi with the switch of a pulley but have to wait till I build up my stock trans) 425 rwhp/458rwtq FI made it a new car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive