Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

My gf is interested in one of these for Christmas. It would go in a Chrysler Minivan circa 2002 model year

Curious as to:

1) Rough cost including installation.
2) Suggestions on places to go and get it done (chains) or to buy one and have an auto place install it etc etc.

Thanks!

P.S. Kansas City Metro area if that helps with any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Have you thought about doing it yourself? No shops take the time to properly install them. You will end up with a "rats nest" installation of disorganized wires held together with cheap crimp connectors that will eventually work themselves free. Nothing beats soldering and shrink-tubing connections and then zip tying everything.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Best place to go IMO would be an independent aftermarket car audio place. Look up listings in your area and then start scouring sites for reviews. You may pay a little more than the chain, but they will also do a better job.

When it comes to cost, you should be able to get something that will only start the car for around $120 installed. If you want something more full featured that also has security settings, you are probably looking at closer to $250 installed. They really are pretty cheap.

PS After saying for years that they are pointless, I now have a factory installed one on my car and use it all the time, lol. They are nice to have especially in bad weather and when you are loading kids in the car.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
They are kind of a fun feature, but I wonder if anyone really uses them..?
I have one on a new car I bought that is now three years old and I have used the feature exactly once..! That was when I stopped for some food and left the dog in the car. It was hot outside so I left the A/C on for the dog.
The weather gets extremely hot in the desert, and cold in the winter, but I've never known a time when I needed to use it. To heat or cool the car using that feature, you would have to start it at least 10 or 15 minutes before entering the vehicle. Not only does that waste gas, but who has time or forethought to start the car that early..?
On the other side, it will make a great gift for your g/f, even if she never uses it. Not trying to discourage your idea, I like it, I just wonder if anyone uses theirs..?
..and a car stereo shop is the place to look....

Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I have one on a new car I bought that is now three years old and I have used the feature exactly once..! That was when I stopped for some food and left the dog in the car. It was hot outside so I left the A/C on for the dog.
The weather gets extremely hot in the desert, and cold in the winter, but I've never known a time when I needed to use it. To heat or cool the car using that feature, you would have to start it at least 10 or 15 minutes before entering the vehicle. Not only does that waste gas, but who has time or forethought to start the car that early..?
On the other side, it will make a great gift for your g/f, even if she never uses it. Not trying to discourage your idea, I like it, I just wonder if anyone uses theirs..?
I felt the same way and thought I would never use the one that came factory installed on my current car. However, I have found myself using it quite often. The one I have is nice as it is smart enough to know to turn on the heat or A/C or turn on the defrosters.

In the summer I used it to cool the car off before getting the family in it. We were loading three kids, so it usually took a couple trips to get everything in the car. It was nice to be able to turn it on so they had A/C, but not worry about anyone being able to take the car out of park.

As the weather has gotten colder here in the NE, I find myself using it most mornings. I much prefer to hit the remote start and get the car warmed up and the windows defrosted before I head out to the car, versus getting in the car, starting it and then having to sit there and wait for the windows to defrost. My remote works from my living room, so I usually turn it on before I pour my coffee and get my lunch out of the fridge. It's usually ready to go when I get to it.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Thanks for the input everyone.

She hates being cold and winter is setting in so it will definitely get a lot of use since she is often parking outside.
This is something she is asking for too so the lady gets what she wants and yeah they are pretty cheap. Best buy has a number for about $170 with installation.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
While it is a comfort and convenience feature keep in mind that a burst radiator hose or stuck-closed thermostat that you would (should) notice if you were in the driver's seat can turn into a "replace the whole engine" type of scenario if it happens while the car is unattended.

Just sayin'.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Have you thought about doing it yourself? No shops take the time to properly install them. You will end up with a "rats nest" installation of disorganized wires held together with cheap crimp connectors that will eventually work themselves free. Nothing beats soldering and shrink-tubing connections and then zip tying everything.
Ridiculous. Your experience is obviously very limited. There are plenty of shops in major markets that are capable and known for professional installation. And it's not a DIY for a complete novice. And there is zero warranty on a non-pro-installed remote starter or alarm system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Best place to go IMO would be an independent aftermarket car audio place. Look up listings in your area and then start scouring sites for reviews. You may pay a little more than the chain, but they will also do a better job.

When it comes to cost, you should be able to get something that will only start the car for around $120 installed. If you want something more full featured that also has security settings, you are probably looking at closer to $250 installed. They really are pretty cheap.

PS After saying for years that they are pointless, I now have a factory installed one on my car and use it all the time, lol. They are nice to have especially in bad weather and when you are loading kids in the car.
That cost is a bit low for one of the better units. I wouldn't use anything but a DEI product, such as Viper, Python, or Clifford. The last shop I worked for was around $180 for a Viper installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The most useful on mine is the ability to remove the key while the car is running, and activate the alarm while I run into the bank, post office, convenience store, etc. This only works if the remote starter and alarm are an integrated unit. I don't drive my pickup much, so it often has a low battery. This function means I can leave it running safely while going in and out of various errands, letting the battery charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
While it is a comfort and convenience feature keep in mind that a burst radiator hose or stuck-closed thermostat that you would (should) notice if you were in the driver's seat can turn into a "replace the whole engine" type of scenario if it happens while the car is unattended.

Just sayin'.
I've had 8 remote starters since the late '80s and never had a problem with any of them. Yes, your scenario is a possibility, but I'm not concerned about that happening. On my current two vehicles, they will shut off after having been started by the remote starter if the alarm is set off, brake is pushed, engine revs higher than 2500 RPM, the temp indicator lights, the hood is opened, and some other things I can't think of.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I installed a factory Mopar unit in my 07 Charger, I've installed maybe 8 or so of them, and it was by far the easiest, very view splices to be made, and took about a third of the time an aftermarket one would take to install, it did cost a bit more than aftermarket though, but the ease of installation was worth it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Ridiculous. Your experience is obviously very limited. There are plenty of shops in major markets that are capable and known for professional installation. And it's not a DIY for a complete novice. And there is zero warranty on a non-pro-installed remote starter or alarm system.
Have it your way, I would never let a "pro" install one on my vehicle. The workers don't get paid enough and they probably aren't trained enough to do expert level work. The last thing I want is to have my car tied up for days not being able to start because the wiring was done poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive