Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times

Advertisements

It was a scratch on the door handle, the OP didn't total the vehicle out. When you see the car again, check it out....if you feel like you owe them, pay them; otherwise, forget it. You are not the only person who has done what you did, and you don't need to be punished severly. However, when your vehicle gets dinged or scratched, remember when you did it and follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
You are supposed to stop and leave the following note on the other car's windshield:

"I'm sorry I backed into your car. 5 people saw me do it and they think that I am writing down my name and license number so that you can contact me. I'm not."

Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I was actually frightened and in a hurry
I wonder what your excuse will be when you finally run over a small child or other pedestrian.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
In Texas the law says that you need to notify the owner. The practical way to do that of course i thsi case is leave a note.Basicallt if a witnesss got your license plate it would be a charge of failure to stop and giving information which is commonly known as leaving the scene of a accident. A callss c misdeanor punsihable by fine of i beleive upto 500 dqllars.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
I'm just curious. If he has insurance then wouldn't the insurance company pay for the repairs?
Maybe. It may be that he only has liability insurance on his car, in which case, no, his insurance will not cover it.

If he does have coverage, he more than likely will have a deductible which he will have to pay. Unfair in that you, not he, caused the damage.

He is also facing the possibility, some will say likelihood, that because he filed a claim against his insurance that his rates will now rise incurring further cost to him that you caused.

I have a question...won't YOUR insurance pay it? Seems a little more fair if there is damage you caused worthy of repair.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Maybe. It may be that he only has liability insurance on his car, in which case, no, his insurance will not cover it.

"I'm going to get all bent out of shape over a scratched door handle, but no, I don't carry collision or comprehensive insurance on my car."
What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-26-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
mod cut:

Lets hope security cameras caught your hit and run escapade and police will come knocking on your door very soon.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-27-2010 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Right before Christmas some A hole smashed my headlight breaking the glass. I didn't notice it until the next night when I noticed my headlight beams looked weird. The bulb was exposed and quickly burned out. I got a new headlight from a junkyard and had it installed, cost me $125. No doubt they pulled into a space and extended into mine and their bumper was higher. I hope they did some damage to their car, hopefully it was more costly to them. So much for the Christmas spirit.
If you did no damage, and that means nothing more than a slight scuff, you probably would have not had to pay anything. Or you might have gotten somebody who would have made an issue out of it. Either way you should have left a note and apology.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:51 AM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Right before Christmas some A hole smashed my headlight breaking the glass. I didn't notice it until the next night when I noticed my headlight beams looked weird. The bulb was exposed and quickly burned out. I got a new headlight from a junkyard and had it installed, cost me $125. No doubt they pulled into a space and extended into mine and their bumper was higher. I hope they did some damage to their car, hopefully it was more costly to them. So much for the Christmas spirit.
If you did no damage, and that means nothing more than a slight scuff, you probably would have not had to pay anything. Or you might have gotten somebody who would have made an issue out of it. Either way you should have left a note and apology.
The other car is very old. There were already scratches on the car. If I do leave a note and I did little damage, and then they ask me to fix all their dents... what do I do in that situation?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
The other car is very old. There were already scratches on the car. If I do leave a note and I did little damage, and then they ask me to fix all their dents... what do I do in that situation?

Thats about as lame an excuse as i've ever heard..Insurance adjusters will inspect the damage and deduce the truth of the damage you caused .
Next time have a little honor,courtesy,honesty and class and at least leave a note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive