Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,110 posts, read 30,435,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
I did read the thread and have commented throughout. Read the thread smartguy If you want to be unhelpful, don't respond. I was obliged by other truckers willing to answer my question here and in PM as it was differing in semantics.
It sure read like you were commenting on something that had already been mentioned 4 or 5 times. Clearly that's my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
... The truck driver gets shafted ALOT in those deals. I went with him on a trip to indy produce market once that was a unload and pick up and right back to ST.Louis deal. 2 days later when we still had produce on the truck, we violated alot of restricted road weights and found the brokers office. When we unloaded the remainer on their parking lot, they called the police. The funny thing was the Police got there, looked at all the paperwork and said " well, you ordered it, he just delievered to the address on his paperwork, so I guess ou better pay the driver what you owe him". Then the police officer got in his car and drove off!
True, if ordinary workers in another occupation were treated the way truckers are it would be on the news every night. Btw interesting story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
But that spray is clearing alot of water off the road too. So back off a bit, follow the dryer tracks and you are safer.
Sometimes the truck tracks are the only snow or ice removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
...I'm not sure why your whining about trucks tearing up the road and then saying YOU have to pay for it. Maybe one day they'll kick trucks off the road and you can drive to a railroad yard to pick up your goods or pay $6 for a loaf of bread because it cost so much to ship.
Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,776,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
The people I'm talking about know who they are. Hopefully they can open their minds

(Def wasn't referring to you WLIG )
Thanks subie

Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 PM

23 posts, read 30,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Or seems weird? That is, you wonder what they are doing or why.
Trucks and some car drivers should stay in the right lanes when they go slower than traffic. I hate it whether it is a truck or car that goes slow in the left lane.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,110 posts, read 30,435,770 times
^
I suppose I don't dare mention it this time.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,381,124 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where your getting any of your Info. or if your just making it up. When you pay your state and federal taxes, it goes towards a wide array of things. Trucking companies have to pay taxes specific to road maint./DOT. The only tax you pay that I guess you could say goes towards the roads is the fuel tax. Of course, the tax on diesel is almost .06 more then gas so they pay more there as well plus they pay additional fuel taxes on top of that.

I'm not sure why your whining about trucks tearing up the road and then saying YOU have to pay for it. Maybe one day they'll kick trucks off the road and you can drive to a railroad yard to pick up your goods or pay $6 for a loaf of bread because it cost so much to ship.
no one wants trucks off of the road all I am saying is certain drivers whine about paying taxes to fix the roads that they ruin and along with that rant comes the fact they feel they are the kings of the road
trucker are needed ,liked and for the most part great people
dont pee on my leg and say its rain

Old 12-21-2010, 07:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,228,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
no one wants trucks off of the road all I am saying is certain drivers whine about paying taxes to fix the roads that they ruin and along with that rant comes the fact they feel they are the kings of the road
trucker are needed ,liked and for the most part great people
dont pee on my leg and say its rain
I'd whine about the taxes as well, they have an insane amount to pay. You have to realize that trucking companies operate on an extremely thin profit margin. One major break down or a blown steer tire can blow an entire weeks profits. Hell one major accident and a lawsuit bankrupted the third largest trucking company in the U.S. I'm sure some of the drivers on here remember Dick Simon. Actually I'm sure a lot of people remember Dick Simon, Trucks and trailers had a skunk painted on them.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,381,124 times
Quote:
I'd whine about the taxes as well, they have an insane amount to pay. You have to realize that trucking companies operate on an extremely thin profit margin. One major break down or a blown steer tire can blow an entire weeks profits. Hell one major accident and a lawsuit bankrupted the third largest trucking company in the U.S. I'm sure some of the drivers on here remember Dick Simon. Actually I'm sure a lot of people remember Dick Simon, Trucks and trailers had a skunk painted on them.
I agree with you on the profit margin but this doesn't effect the trucking industry alone and it doesn't give carte blanc attitude about owning & paying for the hi way.
my argument is the amount of money paid vs. the amount of damage trucks cause to the hi-way the us interstate was built with a 24 in base where as the autobahn has a 36 in base and 24 in cant support the constant pounding of 80 k lbs. along with the freeze and thaw hi-way joints crumble.
as I have stated I like truckersI have several friends who are truckers but they all whine about taxes,tolls,4 wheelers on their hi-way etc.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,177,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
I suppose I don't dare mention it this time.
Why don't you just sit back, stop trying to police the thread, and enjoy it? You started a good discussion, relax.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krantcents View Post
Trucks and some car drivers should stay in the right lanes when they go slower than traffic. I hate it whether it is a truck or car that goes slow in the left lane.
Krantcents, I just thought of an exception: I frequently deliver to Louisville, KY during the a.m. rush hour. As I head South on I-71, I will move to the left lane at the Southbound rest area that's just North of the I265 junction. If I can kep up with traffic, I'll stay there until I either sontinue on I-71 into downtown or take the left-hand exit onto I-264 West. The reason for the is the on/off ramp to the I-265 is a REAL heavy merge and I can make it easier for traffic from I-265 to merge onto I-71 South. I also stay left on I-71 Northbound at the I-264 and I-265 merges because there are really bad merge there, as well. I feel that staying put in the left lane is the better option for (most) of my fellow road users). But, just once, I'd like you to be behind the wheel of an empty truck, getting paid by the mile and being restricted to the right two lanes where a heavily-loaded truck is in the right lane and grandpa is in the middle lane , going as fast as the slow truck. Why is it right that I must stay behind them SOLELY because my vehicle has more wheels than yours even if I can maintain the speed limit???

Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,885,677 times
^^ CC, I know exactly where you're talking about. I live about 35 miles from there.

Where do you deliver to in Lou.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive