Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A GRANDFATHER spent three days driving around southern England, before he was found on Christmas Day, after his wife's flight was switched from Heathrow airport to Gatwick airport during last week's travel chaos.
Mohammed Bellazrak, 72, is believed to have clocked up nearly 2000 miles (3218km) as he desperately tried to find his way home after dropping off his wife at Gatwick on December 23.

Read more: Grandfather, 72, drove in circles for three days in heavy snow | News.com.au
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
You have to be a very special kind of stupid to manage that, you really do.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,435,563 times
whatever happened to 'pull over, and ask someone"?

ok.....reading the article, i see that he did stop and ask people.....

in that case, i will have to agree with TheViking85 and trlhiker in that he was indeed as stupid as they come.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Agreed.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
It's not stupidity. Something is not right. I don't know of any 72 year old people who have problems figuring out directions. Furthermore, it's almost impossible that he would not be able to get accurate directions with a navigation unit. That is what navigation systems do. They even have old fashioned map displays so that a person can see where they are at a given moment, on a map of the area or even the country.

Maybe he didn't know how to use the system, but didn't he know his own address, or a relative's address? Didn't he have a phone, or wasn't he able to stop and use one to get more information? Do most normal people drive around for days trying to figure out directions when they are in the presence of a very simple tool that does exactly that?

This is reminiscent of the occasional stories in the news about some 90 year old guy who goes to the store to buy milk, then gets "lost" driving home. He then drives 5000 miles over the course of a week, has no idea where he is, but along the way, manages to eat meals, get fuel, and do all other things that normal people do.

I'm calling this report either an already diagnosed, or a soon to be diagnosed issue.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Furthermore, it's almost impossible that he would not be able to get accurate directions with a navigation unit.
Ask a FedEx or UPS driver about how impossible or infrequent it is...

However, I expect you are correct in the rest of your post...but stupid just can't ever be ruled out. It's tough to over estimate stupidity...

Not sure how heavy the snow was if he was able to drive 2000 miles in three days...that's less distance than a lot of younger people drive in the same time on clear roads.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking85 View Post
you have to be a very special kind of stupid to manage that, you really do.
:d:d:d:d:d

Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
I can see where this is possible.

When I had my GPS it directed me to a dead end.

I turned around and tried to find my way back out, in deep snow, in an unfamiliar area, complete white out, no familiar landmarks, it was the Nor'easter where 30 inches of snow were dumped in the NJ area in 7 days.

I could not get out of my car because the snow was very high and blocked going into driveways to ask directions.. I kept driving hoping to find a conveinance store. Along the way I saw a few places but I could not stop to ask directions but with the 6 feet snow accumulations there was no way to pull into or beside of the business.

I finally found a convienance store . The lady kindly told me how to get to the city I was going.

This gentlemen could have a poor sense of direction. I sadly do as well. Some of my friends just seem to know how to get anywhere but I can get lost in an unfamiliar area.

He could also have had early dementia and could not understand he needed to flag a person or any person for HELP.

Instead of stupidity this is just sad .

Also take into account England had a SEVERE weather related event at the time. There is always many ways to look at a story....

Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yes, the same kind of "stupid" we all face with geriatric dementia at some point in our later years.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, the same kind of "stupid" we all face with geriatric dementia at some point in our later years.
For his sake, I really hope that's the case.

And to the poster commenting on the UK severe weather: I flew through there during it, and saw what they consider to be severe weather... it's not... they're just bad at handling it.

EDIT: Oh and Tightwad, none of the old ones in my family has had dementia so far, most of them older than this dude, so we don't all face it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive