Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, I'm not 100% sure that I KNOW. It's what I've been told by the folks who build the things. Though it makes sense when you think about it. The real answer would of course be, it is located on whatever side of the car is least convenient to you in a given situation.
Well more or less a motorcycle solves that. The problem there, is that nasty little devil of a last drop getting on the PAINT

Me: I am just glad I don't have to chop down trees to make the cage go, or worse add several hundred gallons of water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM

867 posts, read 2,140,323 times
as long as it says on the instrument panel what side it's on i dont really care

Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
we have two Japanese cars and one is on the right and the other is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had always thought that you're supposed to keep to the right when pulling into the pump, so the filler should be on the drivers side. But British and Japanese cars, for the domestic market, would then have it on on the passenger side, for the same reason, and don't bother to retool for the export models. But all my Japanese cars had it on the drivers side anyway.
i

Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
we have two Japanese cars and one is on the right and the other is on the left.
Which models are they? Only vehicles that are also destined to be sold in the Japanese market follow the rule.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Whoever thought about putting it on the passenger side, obviously never pulled into a filling station, in a blinding blizzard, and had to get out and walk all the way around the vehicle to put fuel in it.
Well then you should know to pull up to the OTHER side of the pump next time.

I'm with whoever gets gas at Cosco. Nearly every gas station around my neck of the woods has back-to-back pump aisles. You go to the one most convenient, if there's no line. OR you go to whichever one has the shortest line, if the hoses have extenders. If the hoses don't have extenders, and there's a line, then you wait in line like everyone else for the side you like best.

Imagine how lousy it'd be, if there were no gas stations with options, where you were stuck in line with everyone else, every single time you got gas, no matter which gas station you went to.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Which models are they? Only vehicles that are also destined to be sold in the Japanese market follow the rule.
Suzuki XL7 and Toyota Rav4.. Rav is on the left, Zook on the right

Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's something that should be standardized. Pass a federal law stating that all gas caps must be on the driver's side.
Agreed!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why should it matter at all? Really it just depends on the engineering of the car and what works best. Weight distribution is the thing that you should be concerned with not where the filler car is located. I would bet that if you drive the same car everyday it won't take too long before you figure it out anyway. I for one prefer to hide it. Had a 76 GMC with a short bed that had everything shaved off including the fuel filler. Clean lines are best anyway.
30 years ago it didn't make a lot of difference because a filling station had one or two customers at most, at any given time.

Today, there are 9 pumps, 3 islands, and 6 lanes for cars to pull through. There are 3 pumps to an island so 3 vehicles can fuel at once, on each side making 6 vehicles to an island. Now couple the fact that there are also people waiting to get into the pumps. You have a mess when some of those vehicles have to face this way while others have to face that way. You see what I'm saying? It's a jungle at the pumps. Would be nice if they'd just pick a side and make all of them that way.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Suzuki XL7 and Toyota Rav4.. Rav is on the left, Zook on the right
North American XL7's were built at the CAMI venture plant to North American specs. The Rav4 is a global Toyota design with minimal difference between North American and Japanese home market vehicles.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
North American XL7's were built at the CAMI venture plant to North American specs. The Rav4 is a global Toyota design with minimal difference between North American and Japanese home market vehicles.
not the 01-06 XL7's. They are 100% Japanese built. That is the generation I have.. The 07 up XL7 is a GM/Suzuki joint venture and the truck went to crap.. BIG time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive