Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times

Advertisements

I absolutely HATE my integrated GPS and have a Garmin on my windshield.

It's much easier to use and more reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 AM

273 posts, read 957,093 times
Just read the thread and agree with most that a portable is my preference for all the reasons listed. I will add some thoughts just to contribute to the chat.

One thing I didn't see emphasized is the value of familiarity with the GPS user interface from car to car. I don't enjoy learning/recalling nuances of new menus or yet another user interface at speed or in traffic. I get more than enough of this on computers, audio/video, smart/cell phones etc. Consistency and familiarity have value to me...I want using it to be second nature when I am alone in an unfamiliar situation regardless of what car I am in. I won't use a factory unit when I have my portable. If you drive fewer cars and keep them longer this is less of a factor.

More generally, I also prefer simpler(?), single purpose devices that usually do a better job than multifunctional devices that combine a lot of things into a more complex but often with lesser functionality for individual functions. Easy examples are phone or computer tablet cameras vs real cameras. There are many more. Don't get me wrong I do own/use these multi function devices too when appropriate/convenient (they are often unavoidable) but prefer the 'better' single purpose device.....especially when driving alone at speed.

I do admit that I dislike the too many remote controls that litter my home....so great integration has its place....but in my experience it often falls short and results in more, rather than less, complexity and/or hassle. Again I don't want this while I am driving, especially alone, at night, at speed in an unfamiliar place.

Oh BTW, I infer a factory in dash unit is great entertainment and impresses passengers, especially on 'big' cars . No one is impressed by my Garmin these days.

To each his/her own....

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
Put an Ipad in your dash

Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
Default Wall St Journal - Portable GPS Vs Factory Installed

The debate over whether portable a GPS navigation device is better than a factory installed in-vehicle GPS system has been going on for years.
It appears that portable GPS navigation systems are starting to win the battle, according to a recent article on the St Journal Blog.

(http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...EYWORDS=garmin)

While some people may always prefer the luxury of finding their way using the satellite navigation systems built into their vehicle, the shift towards portable devices began several years ago when people didn't want to pay $1000 - $3500 for a factory installed GPS system when they could buy a portable GPS system for $100 - $500. A portable GPS system comes equipped with comparable GPS technology for a fraction of the price.

Even if you lose the device or it breaks or gets stolen, you can still buy another one and come out ahead financially. Aside from the cost, other advantages of the portable systems include the ability to use one system for multiple cars and to easily upgrade as new technology becomes available.

According to the JD Power study, 24% percent of drivers who own cars with factory-installed navigation systems use a smartphone as a navigation alternative. Within that group, 28% prefer to get their directions from the phone. The survey also found 36% of drivers who own cars with factory-installed navigation also own portable nav devices, and 28% of that group said they prefer the portable device.

Last edited by codi d; 01-18-2011 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: misspellings, grammar, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
My fear is what the cost would be when a factory in-dash system dies out of warranty. Some of the cars with the first generation in-dash GPS systems are coming up on 10 years old or more, and surely some must have failed by now. Especially costly/annoying if that screen also controls the radio and HVAC and you can no longer access any of those systems. That has to be $1,000 minimum to replace, I'd imagine. Compared to when your garmin croaks, you go to bestbuy or whatever and get a new one for $150 in 5 minutes.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
My fear is what the cost would be when a factory in-dash system dies out of warranty. Some of the cars with the first generation in-dash GPS systems are coming up on 10 years old or more, and surely some must have failed by now. Especially costly/annoying if that screen also controls the radio and HVAC and you can no longer access any of those systems. That has to be $1,000 minimum to replace, I'd imagine. Compared to when your garmin croaks, you go to bestbuy or whatever and get a new one for $150 in 5 minutes.
Yes, but what if your HVAC controls or built in stereo croaks in a new car without nav? Still gonna cost you to fix it out of warranty. I really think that fear is overblown.

For a lot of factory in-dash GPS that are 10 years old or so, yeah, if it does die, just get a garmin or something as that's all it does. But some of the older integrated systems, like, say the ones in the BMW I mentioned, you can just replace the part that failed, either new or used, and not have to spend thousands on replacing the entire system.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times
Update: Bought my car last weekend. Basic model. Honda CRV LX. Figured I could live without the bells & whistles, hence no NAV system.

Due to cnet.com's reviews, I'll buy a Gamin nuvi 205W 4.3" widescreen for $84 from Amazon. Under $30 more for suction cup holder, vehicle cables & hard shell case. Seems like it will be basic enough for me to use (I've never seen one before... I know, I'm like an old prairie woman) & the review did say it was one of the less complex models. I don't need lots of fancy features, but since I'm relocating soon to a city I haven't lived in before, it can't hurt to have one.

I also have a brand new Rand McNally in the car... I can swing old school & find out where I am & where I need to be via paper map should all else fail. Having 4 older bros did have some advantages... I was reading maps as a very young girl.

Thank you all again for your input!

Here's one of the cnet articles, should anyone be interested:

Best 5 GPS navigation systems - CNET Reviews

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I'm wondering how people are faring with their factory installed GPS systems? I've always been annoyed having to leave my car at a dealership for 1-2 days for non-crucial repairs, like a radio. I'm just wondering what the lifespan is of GPS units & if I intend to keep my Honda 'til it decays into a pile of dust, should I pay for an upgraded model which includes navigation system? I'm guessing a GPS system might not last 10+ years, but I've never used one so have no idea what to expect.

My sister has owned a number of inexpensive portable GPS units... they normally need to be replaced every few years due to malfunction. BTW, malfunction may mean her 20-yr old daughters who aren't big on caring for other's possessions. Not sure of the brands, but she pays $150+ for them, normally from Sam's Club.

Also, in the last city I lived, GPS systems were stolen from cars all the time. I wasn't sure if it were handhelds which are sometimes left in suction cup holders in plain sight or if a screwdriver were used to wrench out factory installed systems. Is this a problem/concern for any of you who may live in larger cities & park on-street?

Are those of you with installed GPS glad you splurged for that extra feature or would you have been just as happy with portable?

Thanks very much!
Personally I would not pay for one that came in the car.
Some cell phones have the option to have GPS on them and I think that make a lot more sense. I don't need another thing to carry around with me, as you mentioned, people love to steal them.

If you check the prices of the ones that come in the car, they are pretty pricey.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Update: Bought my car last weekend. Basic model. Honda CRV LX. Figured I could live without the bells & whistles, hence no NAV system.

Due to cnet.com's reviews, I'll buy a Gamin nuvi 205W 4.3" widescreen for $84 from Amazon. Under $30 more for suction cup holder, vehicle cables & hard shell case. Seems like it will be basic enough for me to use (I've never seen one before... I know, I'm like an old prairie woman) & the review did say it was one of the less complex models. I don't need lots of fancy features, but since I'm relocating soon to a city I haven't lived in before, it can't hurt to have one.

I also have a brand new Rand McNally in the car... I can swing old school & find out where I am & where I need to be via paper map should all else fail. Having 4 older bros did have some advantages... I was reading maps as a very young girl.

Thank you all again for your input!

Here's one of the cnet articles, should anyone be interested:

Best 5 GPS navigation systems - CNET Reviews
Just bought this unit on Amazon myself. My old E-Map is sort of hard to read. Let's see how the Nuvi 205W does.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I have a 205W and I've been very satisfied with it. For another $80 or so on Amazon you can get lifetime map updates for as long as you own the unit.

ETA: I take that back, mine is the 255w, which is the same thing only it has the text-to-speech feature which is pretty handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive