Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times

Advertisements

I'm a self-confessed car nut, I love everything about cars. New or old, classics or modern, built for speed or built for luxury. Unfortunately the downside to one of my few passions is that my wallet is definitely smaller than my aspirations. With all the auto manufacturers changing and improving their lineups (particularly GM and Ford), I've decided to find the best cars for the buck at this point (AKA: day off from work and I'm bored). All of these vehicles are under $40K and are, for the most part, loaded to the gills with all the features anyone could want. Agree or disagree with my list is fine, if you disagree what do you think is the best bang for the buck at the moment? Here's what I think:

Buick Lacrosse CXS - $39K

A few years ago, I would've written Buick off as a dead brand that caters to the those with one foot in the grave. Buick has had a resurgence of sorts, trying to build a vehicle that not only caters to a younger crowd but also a vehicle that can compete with entry-level luxury cars from Japanese brands. I would say Buick has done a great job at producing a vehicle that is not only attractive but also has features that are usually found only on vehicles from luxury brands (i.e. power rear sunshade, Bluetooth, heads-up display, etc). The CXS is completely loaded with almost all possible features including navigation and comes in at a hair below $40K. For the dollar, this would be great buy in my book considering it's main competitor, the Lexus ES350, comes in at $3000 more for the same features.

Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV - $39K

Nissan is no luxury brand but the new Maxima competes in the entry-level, luxury marketplace without a problem. Also loaded up with every feature imaginable, the new Maxima comes in barely under the $40K mark. Roomy, quiet, and comfortable are trademarks of the Maxima and in the premium trim, you have power everything. Power tilt/telescope, push-button ignition, large navigation display, more features than you can shake a stick at. It may not have a luxury nameplate, but for those who could care less about a status symbol, the new Maxima would not disappoint.

Cadillac CTS 3.0L - $40K

For those who want to stand out a bit more, the new CTS is hard to beat. I'd say it competes with the likes of the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes E-Class for the pricetag of a 3 Series and C-Class. In the 3.0L trim, you still get most of the luxury features minus navigation but don't get the brute power of the 3.6L DI. If you want a true luxury car with style and comfort and you weren't born with a lead foot, the CTS 3.0L is a great option. Cadillac is really turning the playing field on the dominating luxury brands with the CTS and I feel one day one will be in my garage.

With manufacturers becoming more and more competitive to win over the hard-earned money of buyers, I think we will see more of these entry-level cars being loaded up with features once found only on the flagship models. I'm starting to wonder how much market there will be for vehicles such as the BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E-Class, Lexus GS, etc in the future. It used to be that buyers were always wanting to "trade-up" to the next level of manufacturer's lineup but as entry-level models are becoming increasing better, more stylish, and more advanced; will there be much of a market for the middle-of-the-road luxury cars? I'm not quite sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
another one would be the base V-6 mustang 304HP and 31MPG for a base price of $21K and up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZB4qe4d-M

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
another one would be the base V-6 mustang 304HP and 31MPG for a base price of $21K and up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZB4qe4d-M
Seen the base 3.7 as low as $18750, locally here in Dallas, TX they're advertised down to $19750.

Been seriously considering one (it'd be at the higher end of my current budget, but I could pull it off), but anytime I sit in a base one, the interior just makes me sad, and the steering wheel is the size of a tugboat.

...That said, if I don't find anything else soon...

Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
Right now, best bang for the buck imo includes some high-content cars going for great prices, and some high-power cars that always deliver. These come straight to mind:

Hyundai Genesis V6 sedan - you can get a car on par with $40-60k vehicles for as little as $35k - I'd say better than the Maxima, which is a good car in its own right
Mustang GT - ridiculous hp and finally a nice interior. The glass top is really cool, around $30k
Subaru WRX - oft overlooked for the STI, this car is blisteringly fast and useful as a hatch, $28k
Corvette Grand Sport - supercar stats and performance, great looks (aka Z06 body cladding), decent interior, for $60k

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Right now, best bang for the buck imo includes some high-content cars going for great prices, and some high-power cars that always deliver. These come straight to mind:

Hyundai Genesis V6 sedan - you can get a car on par with $40-60k vehicles for as little as $35k - I'd say better than the Maxima, which is a good car in its own right
Mustang GT - ridiculous hp and finally a nice interior. The glass top is really cool, around $30k
Subaru WRX - oft overlooked for the STI, this car is blisteringly fast and useful as a hatch, $28k
Corvette Grand Sport - supercar stats and performance, great looks (aka Z06 body cladding), decent interior, for $60k
The Hyundai Genesis was a definite game-changer when it was introduced but I think as more manufacturers are revamping their lineups, the Genesis isn't looked at as the cost-friendly alternative to a midsized, German sedan as it once was. I still would say it's a nice vehicle for the price but I'd take a new Maxima over the Genesis.

I know nothing about Subaru at all except I've seen some and wonder why anyone would purchase one. I guess it would never be a brand on my radar when looking for a new vehicle. That would also have to go for Saab, Kia, Mitsubishi, Scion, Volvo, and Suzuki. I guess I've never understood the aim or purpose of any of these brands and I haven't seen any give a valiant effort to introduce any appealing automobiles for mainstream consumers.

Mustang GT and Corvette Grand Sport

Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
A new Z06 Corvette or a new top-spec Mustang, particularly the latter, are not cheap, but you do get a lot of "bang" for the bucks you spend.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Seen the base 3.7 as low as $18750, locally here in Dallas, TX they're advertised down to $19750.

Been seriously considering one (it'd be at the higher end of my current budget, but I could pull it off), but anytime I sit in a base one, the interior just makes me sad, and the steering wheel is the size of a tugboat.

...That said, if I don't find anything else soon...
man $19K for a brand new 305HP sports/pony car with a 6-speed manual tranny under full factory warranty that pulls down 31MPG on the freeway is not bad at all IMO.

shoot that is a better deal that some used performce cars for bang for the buck performance. just for the fact that you are the first owner and it is under the full factory warranty and you don't have to worry if the previous owner abused it.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
man $19K for a brand new 305HP sports/pony car with a 6-speed manual tranny under full factory warranty that pulls down 31MPG on the freeway is not bad at all IMO.

shoot that is a better deal that some used performce cars for bang for the buck performance. just for the fact that you are the first owner and it is under the full factory warranty and you don't have to worry if the previous owner abused it.
That's the reason why I still half way consider it.

I'm not by any means denying that it's a lot of car for the money, but anytime I test sit one I get comfortable and then I go ".....eeeeh". That might change if I drive it, but if I'm going to spend near the limit of my budget, I'd like the car to be something I'd really really like.

That said, I'm getting so damn tired, trying to find a decent manual transmission auto in this god forsaken Automaticville that is Dallas, I might just end up buying one because I've ran out of options.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Its troubling to see so much money spent on so little automotive value. The cars mentioned above are all interesting cars in one form or another, but only incrementally more valuable than a Honda or Toyota. And, add significant depreciation to the mix. Why not a 740IL like someone on here is always pressing? Or a 10 year old 911?

I just have to come to grips with the fact that I could never, ever buy a new car.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Hyundai Genesis was a definite game-changer when it was introduced but I think as more manufacturers are revamping their lineups, the Genesis isn't looked at as the cost-friendly alternative to a midsized, German sedan as it once was. I still would say it's a nice vehicle for the price but I'd take a new Maxima over the Genesis.

I know nothing about Subaru at all except I've seen some and wonder why anyone would purchase one. I guess it would never be a brand on my radar when looking for a new vehicle. That would also have to go for Saab, Kia, Mitsubishi, Scion, Volvo, and Suzuki. I guess I've never understood the aim or purpose of any of these brands and I haven't seen any give a valiant effort to introduce any appealing automobiles for mainstream consumers.

Mustang GT and Corvette Grand Sport
Biggest problem with the Maxima is it tries to be a sports sedan with fwd - the torque steer is too annoying to live with imo.

As far as Subaru (and the others you mentioned), they don't necessarily aim to make mainstream (aka bland) vehicles, but vehicles with character, so the appeal is more varied. I'd say Nissan is similar, and it appeals to you while others do not, which is what they are about imo.

Also, in any cold climes where awd is appreciated, Subarus are pretty ubiquitous and loved - maybe it depends on where you live as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive