Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times

Advertisements

So almost comparable to a hubcap

That Pac Man car is uncomplete without the ghosts and fruits. I wonder if there is a Ms. Pac Man car to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do most "Donk" builders change the rear end gear to more or less match the huge wheels? You could change to something in the 3.73 to 4.56 range (I'm guessing, not calculating) depending on exactly what the diameter of those wheels and tires are (and I don't know, that's why I'm guessing, not calculating...). The right rear gear set would put the speedo back correct, and would give more or less stock levels of acceleration. Putting a more powerful engine in would be a waste though, as I guess these things are top-heavy and prone to rolling if cornered hard.
Actually, the early creators of the Donk movement all did put huge engines in them to turn the tires. Supercharged big blocks were common (since most of them were in pre-emissions checked cars, it was easy to do). They started down in Miami by some of the lowrider guys who decided that since tehre were so many $100k+ cars rolling around of every sort, it was hard to stand out. So caricatures of cars were tried (the idea was to make them look lkie cartoon toy cars). The cars usually had big money invested in them to make sure thay were engineered to work AND have all the show car detailing and build quality of the traditional lowriders thay were based on.

Of course, like every trend, it got copied by people that really didn't have the idea, and did it on the cheap and basically built under-engineered crap that looked kind of like what they thought the originators were doing.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Do most "Donk" builders change the rear end gear to more or less match the huge wheels?
Depends on who is building the car. Somebody who dumps 25 to 50K into a 20 year old Caprice probably would do that.

Somebody who flips burgers or sacks groceries is making payments on their rims and throws them on any beater of a car to look the part and makes no other necessary improvements to his vehicle. It is wise not to be in front of one of these vehicles.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Since some of you guys seem to more or less understand the Donk phenomenon - what does "Skittles" have to do with it? Just a nickname for a car?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Since some of you guys seem to more or less understand the Donk phenomenon - what does "Skittles" have to do with it? Just a nickname for a car?
Well, the latest trend in that genre is corporate branding. So a number of them have popped up with Skittles logos on them:

Don't exactly know why that got started. Supposedly a New Orleans paper claimed the trend started there after Katrina. One guy interviewed in the article chose Flaming Hot Cheetos (or whatever they are) as decoration for his G6 because "Everything I do is hot." Probably got started when the car builder chose a color and then thought it would be funny to "theme" the car that way, and others saw it and copied it ad nauseum.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Yeah, I've seen cartoon characters, soft drinks, candy whatever.

Import tuners sometimes refer to the Dodge SRT-4 as Skittles but that's a whole 'nother scene.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,186 times
Default Re: Corporate Branding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, the latest trend in that genre is corporate branding. So a number of them have popped up with Skittles logos on them:
Thanks for explaining because I saw a car like this while I was visiting NC over the weekend. It had Reese's painted on it and the paint job was like the candy packaging. I hope they get paid for advertising...pretty stupid to do it for free IMO.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
Thanks for explaining because I saw a car like this while I was visiting NC over the weekend. It had Reese's painted on it and the paint job was like the candy packaging. I hope they get paid for advertising...pretty stupid to do it for free IMO.
It's really no differnt han wearing branded clothing that you've paid for. I have a nice styled T shirt (brwon heather colored with dark brown edging and the Hershey bar logo on the front) that I got at Hershey Park a few years back. They didn't pay me to take it home, I bought it and actually (gasp!) wear it.

I'm sure what happens is they come up with a color scheme for the car and decide that it would be funny to match the car's theme with the logo/design. LIke that dude that sayd "everything I do is hot" so appropriated the Cheetos Hot logo.

I wouldn't DO any of it, but I understand it and don't care if THEY do it.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM

263 posts, read 1,097,186 times
I guess you have a point Merc63. I just know in my area, there are companies that will pay you to put logos and stuff on your car to advertise their business. Seems to be a an easy way to make some extra money if you don't mind having your car shrink wrapped. Not for me, but I'm not mad at anyone who wants to!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
What all exactly will this do? I'm sure someone in the donk/lowrider crowd would know, but you see it on cars sporting slightly bigger aftermarket rally/mag wheels that don't necessary have a lower profile tire.

i just bought a truck with factory 20's, and traded down. went from a 295/45/20 to a 265/70/17.

the larger rims were better on a smooth highway, but they have a mind of their own on an uneven road. they decelerate quickly when you let off the gas, but that's probably because mine were heavy and wide.

the smaller rims, with more rubber, give me a smoother more predictable ride overall but more body roll in corners. the lighter weight makes a difference braking and accelerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive