Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nothing says "patriotic" like fueling the Big Three's complacency until consumers could no longer hold their noses and ignore how crappy their products were.
This may have been true 10 years ago. Americab cars today are on the same level as their foreign counterparts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This may have been true 10 years ago. Americab cars today are on the same level as their foreign counterparts
That's debatable; but even so I allowed for such by phrasing my response in the past tense. In any case, no company is owed my allegiance, domestic or otherwise. Trying to tell me otherwise is what's anti-American.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's debatable; but even so I allowed for such by phrasing my response in the past tense. In any case, no company is owed my allegiance, domestic or otherwise. Trying to tell me otherwise is what's anti-American.
I'm not saying not to choose foreign cars. I'm just saying no longer can you use the "reliability" reasoning as you once could. It's debatable, but 10 yrs ago it hardly used to even be debateable.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yes, I am an American, and I support America, its workers, and manufacturers. Anything else is an excuse, and anti-American. If your excuse to justify buying foreign products makes you feel better you have that right. Comparison's such as the Camry being most American, or 2nd don't wash, because the don't account for management. They account for a large portion of a company, and your dollars are supporting people in foreign countries no matter what you claim. I'd rather drive a Pinto than a BMW.
Do you expect other countries to buy US products?

You should base a purchasing decision off the quality of the product and price, not some blind, mis-guided patriotic duty. Those companies you so blindly support because they are "American", think nothing of off shoring their manufacturing; I do not see why to so blindly support them.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:

That may be true, but because American made cars came up to the level of their forgien counter parts. The Forgien cars came down a little bit.

That being said I only drive German cars now. Every Amercian car I ever had since I started driving in 91' fell apart. The final straw came when my Old's Auora that I was leasing broke a cam, replaced the motor witha huge chunk of the repair coming out of my pocket, than the ECM blew causing the car to die on a heavy merge gettong on the Garden state pkwy.

Got towed home, the next day went to VW & leased a Passat & let the Auora sit in the driveway for 4 months until the lease was up.

That was 2001. Since than, 2 passats, one leased one owned, A BMW 3 series vert that I own & now i'm in a Mercedes e class since June. Never any issues with those cars at all. Just maintain them & that's it. I had one werid thing happen to my first Passat that may have had more to do with me driving thru a deep puddle.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yes, I am an American, and I support America, its workers, and manufacturers. Anything else is an excuse, and anti-American. If your excuse to justify buying foreign products makes you feel better you have that right. Comparison's such as the Camry being most American, or 2nd don't wash, because the don't account for management. They account for a large portion of a company, and your dollars are supporting people in foreign countries no matter what you claim. I'd rather drive a Pinto than a BMW.
So I suppose you would simply like the US to close its borders, trade-wise. All Americans should buy American goods, not matter whether they are quality goods or not. Oh - and if you do that why wouldn't every other country choose to close their trade borders to American goods - which many people prefer.

Your attitude is simply insular and unrealistic in today's global world. You also don't believe in the capitalism and the idea that manufacturers should make products people want - or else they don't stay in business.

I am not anti-American cars. But I will not spend my hard earned or saved money on a product I don't want, just because it is an American brand.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I try to buy American as much as possible. However, many import cars are much better than GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

However, I've told myself I would never own another Toyota. My Corolla was the most boring car I've ever had. It was reliable though.
Because the Corolla was boring all Toyotas are boring? You assess the quality of Toyota based on one entry model, the best selling car in the world?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 AM

I think brand loyalty is one of the dumbest concepts. Why should someone be LOYAL to a company, probably a thousand miles away, that has no idea who you are? Ford, Honda, BMW, etc. didn't lift a finger uniquely for you. If they built a vehicle you liked - great - you are a happy customer. But when the time comes for your next vehicle, the brand you liked before may not have the same qualities any more. Start from scratch and choose the best one to meet your needs.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post

That was 2001..
Ok so you haven't owned a american car since 2001. The entire rest of your point is moot then since my point was addressing they have came far in the last 10 years. Also, you are the only person ive ever seen, heard, read that like german cars due to "reliability." Generally the two do not go hand in hand.

Ive had a

88 buick lesabre
91 buick park avenue
87 k5 blazer
97 honda civic
2001 jeep wranger
2004 ford mustang
2007 honda Ridgeline
2009 jeep wrangler unlimited
2008 mazdaspeed3
2013 ford f250

The most reliable were the 04 mustang gt and honda ridgeline

Least reliable was the 97 civic even though it only had 60k miles.

I'd gladly own another ridgeline or mustang. I'm very very happy with my f250.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Ok so you haven't owned a american car since 2001. The entire rest of your point is moot then since my point was addressing they have came far in the last 10 years. Also, you are the only person ive ever seen, heard, read that like german cars due to "reliability." Generally the two do not go hand in hand.

Ive had a

88 buick lesabre
91 buick park avenue
87 k5 blazer
97 honda civic
2001 jeep wranger
2004 ford mustang
2007 honda Ridgeline
2009 jeep wrangler unlimited
2008 mazdaspeed3
2013 ford f250

The most reliable were the 04 mustang gt and honda ridgeline

Least reliable was the 97 civic even though it only had 60k miles.

I'd gladly own another ridgeline or mustang. I'm very very happy with my f250.

Is the inability to comprehend statistics a nationwide-thing, or just a TX thing? ,
Sample sizes of one promote nothing more than proof of existence.
When you come back with verifiable proof that anything you bought is better than absolute junk, an open ear awaits. (i,e. a sample size of thousands)

(To totally digress, as I usually do):
Personally, I don't think that anything that I haven't assembled myself (arrogance here), from all the correct off-the shelf components or those fabricated correctly, are pure trash, (see, don't have to spin a profit here)... I DO have to yield to the custom/unique market, as they have access to equipment I never could afford, but I am talking traditional builds.) The US car manufacturers were the most blatantly exploitive of cost-passing, because they were raped by unions. Listen, pals, if your expertise is putting wheels on cars on an assembly line, you aren't owed: time-and-a-half, more than minimum wage, any health care, and guaranteed employment... (Oh wait... a lot of those companies went out of business... gee I wonder why? ) I would have shut down the company before yielding to a union. Oh, to be given the opportunity. Give all the shareholders their money back, and watch the leeches do a deep six. Union = death to an on-shore company. Not that I care anymore, as I (and my family, and all relatives that I can even identify, including the hard-core buy-American types) all buy foreign, and I live foreign...

Now, back to the topic at hand.... please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive