Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM

119 posts, read 316,887 times

Advertisements

Oh my - I am drowning trying to decide which car to buy. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas or help me narrow my choice down.

So..... I am a twenty-something female. I want to buy a NEW car, not lease.

I have test drove the Acura TSX, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Fort Fusion, and VW CC.

My two favorites are the Camry and TSX. The Accord was too big as well as the CC. The Fusion was pretty good.

I require a car that is safe, blue tooth compatible, electric seats, decent sound system.

I am going to spend 25k-30k (tops)

A new Passat is coming this summer - so I don't know if I should wait for that - or just buy a Camry, TSX, or Fusion.

Are there any good cars in my price range that I have overlooked?? Is the TSX, Fusion, or Camry superior to one of the others or are any of them terrible?

Thanks for any help you can provide - my head is spinning (this is a lot of money to me!)

Last edited by Chanel24; 03-26-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Quote:
Oh my - I am drowning trying to decide which car to buy.
Definitely get one of these:

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,864,775 times
Your options are a bit baffling to me. The Camry is a decent car, kind of conservative for people who just want point A to B with reliability and no thrills. I have one, its our commuter car. The Acura is more sporty, so is the Fusion. Have you looked at the Mazda's, probably the 6 or even the 3?
Also the Accord is essentially the same size as the Camry, I am sure if you compare inch by inch some dimensions are going to vary, but not by much. Have you considered the insurance cost of these. Get a quote and that might sway you in some direction.
What are you going to use the car? Is it just commute, does it need to impress other people (business, etc?). At age 20 something with that budget you are doing well IMO.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really require a certain amount of bells and whistles -decent sound system, blue tooth. I'm a very trendy person - but I definitely can't swing a Mercedes or Audi - even though I love them.

The car will be used mainly for commute and errands - nothing spectacular. But traffic is really slow in south Florida, so I want a car that I enjoy spending time in

I agree my list seems baffling - that's why it is so hard. And there are soo many to choose from. The accord is only a few inches longer than the Camry - like 5 or 7, but it felt huge when I was driving it. The TSX size was better. But driving the Camry felt like driving a big comfy pillow.

I have not looked into Mazda at all, but I think I will check out the two models you mentioned. I wish someone else would decide for me. I'm tired of hanging out with car sales men!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I do not see how you can like the Camry and the TSX. Like one of them, but not both of them. The Camry is soooooo boring. The TSX is much more fun, has some edge to it, and nicer interior quality.

If you are self described trendy, then you are twenty years too young to drive the Camry.

Did you drive the Fusion Sport? It is fun to drive and with Ford Sync, has all the electronics you want.

The Mazda6 is definitely worth looking at too.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:59 PM

I know - the Camry I drove had a moon roof and navigation - it didn't seem very mom-ish or granny-ish as you guys think. But I think I am wrong.

The Fusion was a sport Fusion. With Fusion, I can get fully loaded and navigation for cheaper than the TSX - but I like the exterior of the TSX the most.

Do you think the TSX or Fusion would fare better in an accident? South Florida has the deadliest freeway in the country - people drive horribly here. It is hard to find comparison info since TSX is considered upscale and Fusion is considered affordable. TSX has more airbags, but I don't think that makes a big difference since Fusion still has airbags

Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
More car for the money with the Fusion, they are very highly rated, a little different, and you don't have to pay a premium for the manufacturer's name.

I recently rented one and found it to be a great riding and handling car.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I do not see how you can like the Camry and the TSX. Like one of them, but not both of them. The Camry is soooooo boring. The TSX is much more fun, has some edge to it, and nicer interior quality.

If you are self described trendy, then you are twenty years too young to drive the Camry.

Did you drive the Fusion Sport? It is fun to drive and with Ford Sync, has all the electronics you want.

The Mazda6 is definitely worth looking at too.
besides super fast cars how can the rest of cars be boring or fun?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
Of the two, Fusion Sport and TSX, I would go with the TSX. I do not discount the Fusion at all, and have driven plenty of them, but the TSX has a higher standard, and the resale on them is not bad either if you needed to trade/sell in a few years for a different type of car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
You may not want to hear this, but of the cars you're listing the most practical are either the Camry or the Accord. There's no accounting for taste, so if you liked the Camry and didn't like the Accord, cross the Accord off your list.

I wouldn't advise the VW because they are notably less reliable than Hondas and Toyotas. No matter how much "fun" it is, you won't be having fun sitting around while the car is in the shop.

Do look at the Mazda 6. It has the fun accessories you're interested in and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Good luck. If you make the decision right you can figure on driving this car for the next ten years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive