Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:46 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
It takes me 20 minutes to a half-hour to replace an air filter on a 2.4L Honda Accord, and I've done it about a half a dozen times, and it doesn't get any easier. I usually have to unbolt the under-hood fuse box and push it out of the way, as well as disconnect the 3-inch air hose from the filter box. One time when I changed the filter I dropped an 10mm Snap-On combination wrench behind the air filter box and it disappeared from view FOREVER! (The four bolts on the filter box are 10mm.) I raised the car and felt everywhere I could with my hand, but the wrench seemed to have disappeared. It's probably still under the hood somewhere. Replacing the Snap-On wrench cost more than the filter (which is about $20). At least it wasn't a Hazet wrench. With the dollar being what it is compared to the Euro, I can't afford any more German tools.
On my Mitsubishi to replace the air filter, I had to lift up the levers on the box, take out the air filter, and put in a new air filter.

It was like brain surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
On my Mitsubishi to replace the air filter, I had to lift up the levers on the box, take out the air filter, and put in a new air filter. It was like brain surgery.
Changing the air filter on a 2.4L Honda Accord is a b¡tch, and that's a 4 cyl engine.

So is changing the pre cat O2 sensor. Not the sensor itself, which is located in the exhaust pipe before the cat and can only be reached from under the car. The problem is with the electrical connection, which is a b¡tch to even see. I got the sensor separated by clamping down on the plastic connector with 4-inch vice grips, thereby depressing the plastic tab that keeps the sensor inserted into the female socket that goes to the ECU.

BTW, the pre-cat sensor on a Honda Accord can only be removed by a tool that looks like this (Lisle Tool part #12390, although you'd be crazy to pay that price for it. Order directly from Lise Tool in Iowa.) The long socket (≈ 3" long) with the slot up its side side won't fit a Honda Accord.

FWIW.

Last edited by Zea mays; 04-08-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
[quote=Nativechief;18643180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
sounds like you have plenty of tools and know how to use them...Most people dont and thats why they gotta pay up to take someones time....My time cost money and lots of it.
I just have typical tools, a hydraulic floor jack, couple of quality jack stands, lots of sockets and ratchets and screwdrivers and the like. Not much that is special or unusual. I have pnumatic tools, but I do not use them that often on cars except for big jobs, it is often just as fast to use hand tools as to set up and clean up for pnumatic. None of my impact drivers seem to work very well anyway. I think I need to find a better brand (Campbell Hausfield seems to be kind of junky).

Even if I never worked on cars, I would need most of the same hand tools for household chores and maintaining lawn mowers, garden tractor, roto tiller, chain saw, generator, weed wackers, etc.

My time costs a lot now as well. However it did not always. I used to do all of my own car repairs, but as I got more expensive, I started paying for more things. Even now, I cannot spend all of my time doing only my job, I have to do other things otherwise I would just work all the tiem and pay people to do everything else. Thay may be the sensible thing to do from a strictly financial point of veiw, but I would go insane and I enjoy working on cars. This weekend I paid $30 to have a mechanic re-attach the rear shocks in my daughter's minivan. An easy job, but I was busy with other things and simply did not feel like doing it. It would have taken me an hour including finding and putting away the tools, they did it about about 15 minutes. However often I pay for repairs, because we cannot wait until the weekend to get the repair done, or it will take me more than a weekend to complete the repair. A lot of times, you do nto know what parts you need until you get the car apart, for me, it is then often too late to find an open parts place or junk yard, so it sits until the next weekend. With a fun car, that is ok, but with a daily driver, we cannot do that. So we pay sometimes.

I also learned that Dodge Caravans have a design defect that causes the rear shock bolts to come out all the time. No ready solution for this. It just keeps happening. That seems dangerous, I wonder why there is no recall?

They probably put some lock tight or something on it. I am not sure since I did nto pick it up. They were going to come up with something to try to stop it from happening again. They said that this is a very common problem with Dodge Caravans.

No idea whether our mechanic has any schooling or not, and I do nto care. 20 years of successfully repairing cars is enough training in my opinion. He ceraintly diagnoses and correclty repairs our cars at least as frequently as they did when we went to the dealership.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My time costs a lot now as well. However it did not always. I used to do all of my own car repairs, but as I got more expensive, I started paying for more things.
This is an interesting thing. My time only costs money if i was going to be MAKING money with that time already. So if I use up time that woudl otherwise have been used watching TV or other non-money-making activities, then that time is in fact free, not expensive.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
It takes me 20 minutes to a half-hour to replace an air filter on a 2.4L Honda Accord, and I've done it about a half a dozen times, and it doesn't get any easier. I usually have to unbolt the under-hood fuse box and push it out of the way, as well as disconnect the 3-inch air hose from the filter box. One time when I changed the filter I dropped an 10mm Snap-On combination wrench behind the air filter box and it disappeared from view FOREVER! (The four bolts on the filter box are 10mm.) I raised the car and felt everywhere I could with my hand, but the wrench seemed to have disappeared. It's probably still under the hood somewhere. Replacing the Snap-On wrench cost more than the filter (which is about $20). At least it wasn't a Hazet wrench. With the dollar being what it is compared to the Euro, I can't afford any more German tools.
This is why I love my BMW. 3 minutes to change the air filter at most, and an oil change is about the easiest I've ever done, with it's top mouted cartrige filter. I dont' even need tools to do either one except for the wrench to take off the oil drain plug.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
[quote=Coldjensens;18666118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief;
I also learned that Dodge Caravans have a design defect that causes the rear shock bolts to come out all the time. No ready solution for this. It just keeps happening. That seems dangerous, I wonder why there is no recall?

They probably put some lock tight or something on it. I am not sure since I did nto pick it up. They were going to come up with something to try to stop it from happening again. They said that this is a very common problem with Dodge Caravans.

Which model years are you referring to? I haven't heard of this despite being a part of a forum for those vans for a long time now.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Changed the air filter on my wife's 2.4L 2002 Honda Accord Last night.

It took 3 seconds-- literally. There were levers on the box just like on my Mitsubishi...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Changed the air filter on my wife's 2.4L 2002 Honda Accord Last night.

It took 3 seconds-- literally. There were levers on the box just like on my Mitsubishi...
Hmm. According to the manual and pictures, it uses 4 bolts (#12):

My BMW is like you describle, 4 clips (bottom left corner of the following pic) and the oil filter is in the spin off cartrige at the bottom right of the pic:

Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Hmm. According to the manual and pictures, it uses 4 bolts (#12):

My BMW is like you describle, 4 clips (bottom left corner of the following pic) and the oil filter is in the spin off cartrige at the bottom right of the pic:
Hm... the box was on the far left side similar to your bmw photo.
My wife said it was an 02... but does she really know? I don't know... Now I'm curious so I'm going to ask her more about it-- I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 2000, 2001, or 2003.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,460 times
my 2006 equinox rear wiper blade will go over and it won't come back the motor i hear it still running what do i need to do
how do i repair the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive