Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times

Advertisements

Going to Vegas from SoCal next month. It's gonna be at least 7 adult males so we need to elbow room. I drove a new Suburban when I had an auto accident claim and hated it as a whole. Any other good suggestions? What are the best gas efficient vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
Minivan. Last few times, it was a Grand Caravan from Thrifty (Ontario Airport) for like $50/day. 23-24 mpg in all 2 cases, just a tad over 22 on the last case because we ended up with one that had the 3.8L instead of the 3.3L.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,465,127 times
Default Large Crossover (CUV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Going to Vegas from SoCal next month. It's gonna be at least 7 adult males so we need to elbow room. I drove a new Suburban when I had an auto accident claim and hated it as a whole. Any other good suggestions? What are the best gas efficient vehicles?
A mid-large-sized CUV would be my suggestion. The cream-of-the-crop is the Mazda CX-9, it's huge inside and even the third row is comfortable for me and I'm 6'2". None of them are economical, but it is at least powerful with a version of the Ford 3.7L V6.

The other similarly-sized vehicle(s) would be the Chevy Traverse and siblings (GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave).

But all I can find for rental is the Chevy Tahoe or a minivan....perhaps you could rent two small efficient vehicles instead and take two cars?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Unless you rent a full sized converted van, you will not find a more comfrotable vehicle for 7 people than a suburban. Minivan will leave you a bit cremmed in, especially the guy who has to sit in the middle of the back seat. Those CUVs (aka pregnant station wagons) are no more roomy than a minivan and they are harder to get in and out of. If you want to be comfortable, get ahold of a full sized converted van. You would have to rent one from a specialty rental place. I do not think that you will find one at Hertz.

All 7 passenger vehicles get bad mileage. Do you really care whether you get 16 MPG or 18 or even 22? It will make about $10 difference on your trip. Find something fun and comfortable.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
A mid-large-sized CUV would be my suggestion. The cream-of-the-crop is the Mazda CX-9, it's huge inside and even the third row is comfortable for me and I'm 6'2". None of them are economical, but it is at least powerful with a version of the Ford 3.7L V6.

The other similarly-sized vehicle(s) would be the Chevy Traverse and siblings (GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave).

But all I can find for rental is the Chevy Tahoe or a minivan....perhaps you could rent two small efficient vehicles instead and take two cars?

CX-9 is a somewhat nicer Ford Edge isn't it? Spiffed a bit, but still the same body and engine I think. Problems with the Edge are rear seat head room and with adults in the way back, you have to move the midlle seats forward a lot and then no one has any legroom. It is a pain to get in and out too.

Even the Giant suburban boats are not as compfrtable for severn adults as a full sized van. However no matter what you get, the people who have to sit in the middle seat will not be comfortable. One potential solution is to get an extended 14 passenger van. Then no one has to sit int he middle seats. Some of them are converted so that you have three rows of copatins chairs. That is the most conforatble and convenient for long trips, but you will get about 10 to 12 mpg in many of them. Some are better. We rented one once that was the same as a regaulr full sized van. The added weight did nto seem to make any difference. It got about 15 to 16 mpg. I do no recall whether it was a Ford or Chevy (or maybe even Dodge?).

Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Outside of a Suburban, anything is going to be rather cramped. I've done the LA to Vegas drive before and it's a long time to be crammed into something. I would personally go with the recommendation of a 14 passenger van or something along those lines. The MPG will suck, but you'll have space for the people and their bags.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Unless you rent a full sized converted van, you will not find a more comfrotable vehicle for 7 people than a suburban. Minivan will leave you a bit cremmed in, especially the guy who has to sit in the middle of the back seat. Those CUVs (aka pregnant station wagons) are no more roomy than a minivan and they are harder to get in and out of. If you want to be comfortable, get ahold of a full sized converted van. You would have to rent one from a specialty rental place. I do not think that you will find one at Hertz.

All 7 passenger vehicles get bad mileage. Do you really care whether you get 16 MPG or 18 or even 22? It will make about $10 difference on your trip. Find something fun and comfortable.
I think the typical minivan (Odyssey) is more confortable all around than a Suburban. Minivans have a lower floor because they are FWD, whereas the Suburban, even with the space between rows, forces your knees higher.

But the best choice could be the full size ("Econoline") type of van. We rented one for a two family ski trip and it was fantastic. Just don't rent a Dodge.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM

265 posts, read 597,879 times
Buick Enclave. Lots of room, quiet and runs all day.... I rented one a few weeks ago.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,128 times
Just drove to So Cal in a rented 2011 Chrysler Town & Country, never thought I would love a minivan, either I'm getting older or the car was that great. The stow and go, the room, the comfort, and the features were great. Good enough power, and good fuel economy. Although there are only two middle seats, so you will only get 7, not 8.

Maybe soccer moms will come to there senses and go back to these instead of Suburbans and Expeditions, at least we already cut back from the Excursions and Hummers.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Most comfortable for a long trip with that many people? Cadillac Escalade ESV or Yukon Denali xl. Nothing can beat comfort for 8 passengers. Our Escalade gets about 15 mpg, doesn't matter if its all city or all highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive