Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Besides it is a Civic for crying out loud. How can someone drive around in a sooped up Civic and not crunch low in the seat, pull your hat down and wear dark sunglasses. Does it have a nice fart bubbler muffler and spinner rims?
Civics are also very popular road racers in SCCA and the like. They are easily modified, can make great power, and handle well with very little work. There's vastly more to sport compacts than fart tipped ricers, my friend.

I still loved my old CRX Si, and would have no problem driving a clean early '90s Civic around as a street/autocrosser.

My comment was merely that usually the comment about the preference of driving a slow car fast usually comes from people who have ONLY had basic slow cars that they worked to make fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Well, I used to own a Stealth R/T Turbo and I've put a couple thousand on my father's C5 hardtop, but no Ferraris. My slower Si and previous RX-7 were a lot more fun because it's actually possible to redline them often and go WOT often. A 1000cc sportbike is kind of a bore on the street because there's not a lot you can do to safely / legally use lots of throttle or lots of revs very often. Snore.... A Ninja 250 or my 64 HP FZ6R is more fun IMO because you can dip into everything they have to offer without restraint more often. And I know I'd be faster on a twisty public road on a bike I can use all of than one I have to constantly restrain myself on. Likely true for cars if talking about "seriously fast" ones too.

I guess you could say I want the feeling of speed without the insane legal / safety issues of going way too fast.
And I like instant torque that can pull you out of low speed corners without revving the **** out of a car, and effortlessly acellerating up to speed, on top of good cornering Gs. Which is why I built my V8 RX7.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
There are some roads that are fun to drive even at low speeds with a decent handling car. Those winding country, mountain, or canyon roads with tight curves that go off in different directions while driving a stick shift is a joy. I experienced that back in the 80s in my two door Buick Skyhawk with 4 speed manual and slightly wider tread and slightly lower profile than factory original tires(still fit the factory steel wheels). Got lost and ended up on a country road that followed the path of a canal. Though my Skyhawk wasn't a great handler, it was fun. If I'd had a better handling small car it would have been orgasmic! My Malibu can corner better than that Skyhawk but the nearly flat seats prevent me from enjoying those corners as much. I can afford better side bolster seats but they'd be he'll foe my wife's spinal problems.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
roads have speed limits, cars are constantly on roads.

when are you really going to get the opportunity to utilize the performance of a vehicle when you are driving?

THERE ARE SPEED LIMITS THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED A VIOLATION OF YOUR RIGHT TO TRAVEL WITHOUT RESTRICTION, SO GET OUT OF THE CITY, Find a nice stretch of road without cross traffic possibilities, and open it up .

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM

120 posts, read 671,822 times
don't feed the troll

Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
if I get a speeding ticket or hauled off to jail, so be it. Life is too short not to have fun.
...or if you t-bone the car that pulled out in front of you and killed the passengers because even though they saw you, they judged your speed/distance at 55 and not 95....

Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
...or if you t-bone the car that pulled out in front of you and killed the passengers because even though they saw you, they judged your speed/distance at 55 and not 95....
Tragic, but if we're playing the blame game, I would say the other driver needs a lesson in depth perception.

Mike

Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
That's why you pick a stretch of country road that is mostly cornfields, smooth and preferably one without roads or driveways in the area you plan to speed. They are out there.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Civics are also very popular road racers in SCCA and the like. They are easily modified, can make great power, and handle well with very little work. There's vastly more to sport compacts than fart tipped ricers, my friend.

I still loved my old CRX Si, and would have no problem driving a clean early '90s Civic around as a street/autocrosser.

My comment was merely that usually the comment about the preference of driving a slow car fast usually comes from people who have ONLY had basic slow cars that they worked to make fast.
For every one of those that are built properly, there are hundreds running around with slammed suspension, cheesy body kits, huge fart pipes out the back in places they're not supposed to be, and a mook leaning over the steering wheel even though the drivers seat is leaned most of the way back.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
whys performance such a big deal when you cant utilize it?
It's not there for when you can't utilize it. It's there for when you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive