Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

The Buick Lesabre had a very good and reliable engine in the 3800 series V6. My mom had the same engine in her Oldsmobile and my dad said it felt like it pulled like a V8, smooth acceleration with plenty of torque and that wasn't the supercharged version. Things people liked about the car include good size comfortable interior, reliable engine, smooth shifting auto transmission, good power for interstate travel or passing, and soft ride over the bumps. It's not just old people who like the car. Some young ghetto crowds get the car cheap and customize it with large rims and stereo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Like fleas on a feral cat around here, Buicks and senior citizens that is. They're basic, reliable transportation more or less. Seniors as a rule aren't impressed with all the new gadgets on other models and in most cases don't want them to begin with. They also have a tendency to still carry some "no foreign junk" mentality their parents had.

GM really doesn't offer much else in the way of basic stuff, Chrysler hasn't offered any solid old folks cars since the days of the Concorde, Ford starved out the Crown Victoria and the Taurus just didn't seem to catch with the 65+ crowd. That leaves you Buick. It's a good choice too as the little buggers run for ages with basic upkeep.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The Buick Lesabre had a very good and reliable engine in the 3800 series V6. My mom had the same engine in her Oldsmobile and my dad said it felt like it pulled like a V8, smooth acceleration with plenty of torque and that wasn't the supercharged version. Things people liked about the car include good size comfortable interior, reliable engine, smooth shifting auto transmission, good power for interstate travel or passing, and soft ride over the bumps. It's not just old people who like the car. Some young ghetto crowds get the car cheap and customize it with large rims and stereo.
Sailordave is right. Several years ago I bought a Buick LeSabre with 129,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a senior who was told "no more driving."(I'm not a senior BTW). It now has 251,459 on it and still runs great. Other than tires, a new battery, front brakes, and a fuel pump that's it for the expenses and it runs like a top.(Also put in a Kenwood stereo) It's a 4 sp. automatic transmission with a 3.8 liter engine. It's rating of 19 mpg in town and 26 on the road sounds about right. It has never failed a start other than the battery replacement (it's a 19 year old car). I wanted reliability, I got it. And interstate driving using the cruise is a piece of cake. I also stay on top of the maintenance.

I need a bigger sized vehicle as I'm quite arthritic, thank you very much. Guys who are 6'7" and have knee and back surgeries are going to eventually relent and want something that is comfortable. It is that and more. My other vehicle is a '94 Jeep Cherokee 4 liter 5 speed. And it's a keeper as well.

Never owned a Buick before and later on this winter/early spring I'll sell it to my handyman friend who needs a second vehicle for his family. Would I buy another one later? Why not?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-25-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
When my mom got this car, she was making frequent trips between Dallas, TX and Lafayette, LA. I rode with her on one of those trips. The ride was so smooth that I could easily go to sleep even on rough Louisiana roads. The one time I did drive it, I was surprised by how fast this granny car accelerated and it's eagerness to go faster. I wouldn't put it in a drag race and it would corner like a wallowing whale, but I wouldn't underestimate these vehicles in a straight line. You never know if they got the supercharger installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Sailordave is right. Several years ago I bought a Buick LeSabre with 129,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a senior who was told "no more driving."(I'm not a senior BTW). It now has 251,459 on it and still runs great. Other than tires, a new battery, front brakes, and a fuel pump that's it for the expenses and it runs like a top.(Also put in a Kenwood stereo) It's a 4 sp. automatic transmission with a 3.8 liter engine. It's rating of 19 mpg in town and 26 on the road sounds about right. It has never failed a start other than the battery replacement (it's a 19 year old car). I wanted reliability, I got it. And interstate driving using the cruise is a piece of cake. I also stay on top of the maintenance.

I need a bigger sized vehicle as I'm quite arthritic, thank you very much. Guys who are 6'7" and have knee and back surgeries are going to eventually relent and want something that is comfortable. It is that and more. My other vehicle is a '94 Jeep Cherokee 4 liter 5 speed. And it's a keeper as well.

Never owned a Buick before and later on this winter/early spring I'll sell it to my handyman friend who needs a second vehicle for his family. Would I buy another one later? Why not?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,900 times
Oh, and the LT1 Roadmaster was a boss.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM

174 posts, read 596,897 times
I know someone that just purchased a new Buick Regal and she's almost 60 years old. I have to admit that the new Regal is really a nice car and offers a lot for the money. Bucik is trying to shed it's old folks image and attract a younger customer base.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I know someone that just purchased a new Buick Regal and she's almost 60 years old. I have to admit that the new Regal is really a nice car and offers a lot for the money. Bucik is trying to shed it's old folks image and attract a younger customer base.
Seems like they failed in her case.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
The Detroit Ride. Once you're old and your back hurts you'll understand...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
The Regal & LaCrosse are two very important cars for Buick & GM, as the average age for a Buick buyer has been in the sixties for decades.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Default old fogeys and LeSabres

I'm 54 and am on my second LeSabre. I just think the original poster (with the jeep) was humorous. I have bad respiratory allergies and can't ever drive with my windows down, so an open-sided jeep would be worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive