Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mercury and DeSoto used to hold that niche, as well, but have been abandoned. As I recall, Buick is the most popular US export car, with the same kind of upmarket reputation (deserved or not) as Infniti, Acura and Lexus carry for the Japanese Big 3.

So I would assume that GM is running the Buick line to meet international demand, and as long as Americans still have a hankering for them, too, that's just an added bonus that they don't mind exploiting.
Buick is the #1 selling car in china. And when ford discounted the grand marquise and the crown Vick Buick is taking avantage. When GM got rid of olds older Americans went with Buick. Look at the history of the Buick Lesabre? GM stopped making the Lasabre in 2005 and only have the Lacrosse as its flagship car. I had a a 1976 Buick Electra 225 my father gave me it had a Deuce and a quarter witch was a 455 with a 4 barrel carb. It was a boat and rode like you were floating on air. Even had fender skirts and a white vinal top the car was gold in color. With white plush seats. That car was a boat but was fast as hell. Wish I had it today. Also GM is building a plant in china to build buicks forthat part of the world, as is Chrysler to build jeeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I've driven more than one LeSabre. My mom loved the damn things. They rode great, comfortable and really reliable. Nothing wrong with a buick. And not everyone wants a loud noisy rough riding jeep or truck

Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So the senior citizens you see driving them now are the ones who were subjected to that advertising when they were younger. I think it will die off with the next generation of seniors, possibly to the extent that it will be the end of Buick.
I always get a chuckle when people are waiting for senior citizens to "die off" and take their favorite car models with them. Let me let you in on a secret. There will always be a senior citizen, and it turns out most have the same taste. I am not there yet but I like cars now that I would not get caught dead in them in my younger years.

Last edited by HappyRider; 11-12-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
Lesabres and Park Avenues were great cars, but they were discontinued in 2005. My parents never drove them though. Most of the older folks I see out and about are not driving Buicks. I would buy another Park Avenue in a heartbeat, but they only sell them in China now. The Enclave is nice, but the gas mileage is not that good. I have considered a Cadillac, but the v6 has RWD and the front wheel drive ones have V8's and the gas mileage is poor. Not too excited about the LaCrosse or the discontinued Lucerne. The irony for me is that I may end up buying a Toyota Avalon as it is reported to be reliable with good gas mileage and it may fit my needs. This would be a big step for me because my every day vehicle has been a Buick for a very long time.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I always get a chuckle when people are waiting for senior citizens to "die off" and take their favorite car models with them. Let me let you in on a secret. There will always be a senior citizen, and it turns out most have the same taste. I am not there yet but I like cars now that I would not get caught dead in them in my younger years.
Very true. When many people get older they start having back and hip pain, that's why they seek soft riding "plush" cars that won't jar them around.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
We have a 1999 Buick Park Ave with 15,000 miles on it and a 2004 Buick Park Ave. with 35,000 miles on it. They are the most comfortable cars to drive. Their engine is one of the best and most reliable around.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Buicks are comfortable cars to drive and don't feel like a tin can going down the road.

They had and still have fantastic engines that are immune from almost anything, they just keep running.

There are some very sought after models of the Buick too. Some of the LeSabres had a really nice body style, sort of subdued but timeless.

Many Europeans that immigrated to the USA in the 50s and going forward really like Buicks because they had good quality, were quiet, smooth and did everything you wanted in a car of that size.

Take away the cheerleaders and haters of the car and what you have is a very good car that a lot of people like.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
an elderly lady in my apt bldg had a maroon 73 leSabre with a white vinyl roof. in mint condition. she just couldn't drive any longer so she gave it up. the car was eye catching

someone else drives a lime green 73 Centurion convertible in my area. I always found the Centurion to not be as dashing as the LeSabre. i never cared for the sporty hubcaps and the subtle styling touches were a tad dull

Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
Older folks like a car that's easy to get in and out of and the LeSabre had lots of room. The Pontiac Bonneville was quite similar and also popular among seniors.
When people get older one of things limiting their mobility is the ability to get in and out of car and these big boats had lots of room for swinging your hips into the seat and also getting out without banging your knees.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Buicks are perhaps the favored American car in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive