Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times

Advertisements

Check out truecar.com, you can see what all the dealers around you are willing to sell cars for. You don't have to buy the car through them to check prices and you can enter with the options you want.

I'm surprised you said the RAV4 was rough, definitely not my experience with V6 version I had as a rental for a week. It felt a lot like a Camry wagon with an elevated driving position to me. It's also 1000lbs. lighter than the CX-9 so you would get about 50% better fuel economy. If you don't mind the minivan stigma than that would give you the most room. I'm kind of surprised to hear a Sienna is more expensive than a CX-9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
The Rav4 was rough when driving it directly after the smooshy Highlander. It's still a decent car, but it wasn't quite right. But there's a ton of them around here, and I can definitely see why. It was more cramped than I was hoping for, and while certainly nicer than my current car, it was a step back from the niceness in the other cars. Bonk bonk.

The Traverse: The biggest problem was blind spots. I don't like the mirrors with the little inset-mirror. Inset mirror too small, and big mirror needed the real estate. Couldn't see well out the back at all, and the corner posts blocked too much of the view. Trying to merge in highway traffic was AWFUL. I couldn't see anything anywhere! Didn't have that problem with Highlander or CX-9. Also, no matter how I adjusted the seat and steering wheel, I couldn't see my speed. Wheel blocked it from my vision. Later, when I turned around and put my knees on the passenger seat, as I will often do to turn to see kids, I put all my weight down on some unpadded awful hard thing that dug into my knee. That *hurt*. (Otherwise, the interior was great, and I really liked the second sunroof). When driving, something just felt wrong. Hard to describe. It just didn't handle like I expected. The highlander was easy and the CX9 feels "right" when driving; the Traverse felt WRONG. I felt like I couldn't stay in my lane, I was getting surprised to see I was moving to the left, I was afraid when pressed between a semi and another large car -- not confident I could stay safe between them. I took the next exit and got the hell out of the driver's seat. Could I learn to drive it? Probably, but it just felt all-wrong. Nothing worked the way a car should work. I know that's mushy and not all that specific, but it just felt wrong. The only specific thing I can say is that the blind spots were really bad, the worst of any car we drove.

Got the CX-9 tonight!! The only thing I don't love is the console; it crowds the knees a little on the side. I think I'll get used to that. It just feels so good to drive. And everything else is pretty much perfect.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Congrats on the new ride. The CX-9 is a highly rated crossover so I think you made a good choice.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
The Traverse: The biggest problem was blind spots. I don't like the mirrors with the little inset-mirror. Inset mirror too small, and big mirror needed the real estate. Couldn't see well out the back at all, and the corner posts blocked too much of the view. Trying to merge in highway traffic was AWFUL. I couldn't see anything anywhere! Didn't have that problem with Highlander or CX-9. Also, no matter how I adjusted the seat and steering wheel, I couldn't see my speed. Wheel blocked it from my vision. Later, when I turned around and put my knees on the passenger seat, as I will often do to turn to see kids, I put all my weight down on some unpadded awful hard thing that dug into my knee. That *hurt*. (Otherwise, the interior was great, and I really liked the second sunroof). When driving, something just felt wrong. Hard to describe. It just didn't handle like I expected.
On the Traverse, I think the blind spots can be attributed to the way the rear and rear side windows are shaped which is why I liked the Acadia and Outlook better.

The mirror issue I can't address as I have never seen those type of mirrors and I had no problems with adjusting the seat to see the speedometer.

Ya, you probably banged your knee into the center console, no kids here, so not a problem.

When merging I found that you might need to "lean" into the gas a little more to get up to speed due to the trans and the weight of the vehicle.

The CX-9 was my second choice, I think you will be happy with it.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
I'd really urge you to check out a Ford Explorer. You may have had bad luck with Ford in the past, but it's really not fair to write off automakers as a whole based on your experience years ago or their nationality, etc. They change considerably. The Explorer (or perhaps the Flex) might be the right car for you, but you won't know unless you try it out. Ford went from near bankruptcy and a terrible reputation in the early '00s to being the best selling brand in America today for a reason. The Explorer and Flex are on a modified version of the platform the CX-9 is also based off of, and the same basic engines as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
^^ She already bought a car.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 PM

13 posts, read 26,445 times
Default Cx-9

Are you still loving it? We are thinking of buying one. Any pros/cons now that you have been driving it for a week? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:01 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Also, you said you are worried about Mazda because of resale and repairs? Based on what? Mazda's are fantastic for both.
I can honestly say that from my experience, the mechanical side and resale was great. I loved my Tribute! Mine was a 2001 Tribute had 118k, it had no where NEAR the problems my husbands car did that was newer. When someone hit me and totaled it out I got just over 8k for it. If I had to do it all over again, (and if the body style was the same) I would have gotten another Tribute over my Odyssey.
BTW, Mazda is owned/manufactured by Ford. I can guarantee if you look under the hood you will see things labeled Ford.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Mazda is no longer owned or made by Ford. The only shared vehicle is the Tribute, which is going away.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ She already bought a car.
Not to mention the new Explorer is getting less then stellar reviews. I'm sure Ford will have it right in a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive