Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 20,056 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...

Just wondering if anybody's gone through the same situation I'm going through...

I'm from Miami, even though I was born in L.A, I've grown up in Miami, I've gone to school there (FIU), and I 've lived here all my life (Hialeah, Pembroke Pines, Miramar) there in South Florida.

Now due to various reasons, about 2 years ago I moved to Lima, Peru (where my parents are originally from) and I've been living and working here ever since. The thing is I HATE living here and I want to come back home.

Now my problem is that while I've been here in Peru, I bought a car. Since I couldn't bring my car from Miami (a 2006 Nissan 350z) due to import restrictions (you can't bring cars older than 3 years old to Peru), I decided to sell it, since I had no one to take care of it for me and it would get all messed up sitting in a garage.

The car I bought with that money has some special meaning to me. It was the same type of car that my father first bought new when he came to the U.S in the eighties, my Uncle (my dad's brother) also had one (although a coupe, not a hatchback) and even when I was still in Miami I had been looking for one, I had just never been able to find one in good condition that wasn't in California or the west coast.

The car I bought is a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S. Also known in Japan as a Toyota Sprinter Trueno or AE86, Hachi-roku. This car is famous among car enthusiasts for many reasons, it is one of the cars that started the modern drift phenomenon, being the car Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the Drift King learned how to drift in, in the Mountain Roads of Usui in Japan, and is also the car made famous in the anime Initial D, driven by the character inspired by Tsuchiya himself, Takumi Fujiwara. If you google Initial D or Takumi Fujiwara or AE86 you will see what car I am referring to.

So I bought this car and with my Dad's help we've basically painstakingly restored it for the 2 years I've been here and I'm actually still not finished. To be honest, I think I'd be dead if it wasn't for this car. Words can't explain the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into this thing. I mean I seriously HATE living here in Peru, but this thing has kept me sane the entire time I've been here, if it wasn't for it, I'd probably have jumped off a building by now.

Anyways I'm looking to bring it with me to the States. Now normally, to anyone who's tried bringing a car into the US, the cars being JDM Skylines, Evos, Silvias, etc I know what you're going to say, it's a nightmare to try to bring them in. However, this car should be exempted from both EPA and Department of Transportation Regulations and should be able to come in based on it's age (25 years and over) as a collectible or classic car.

The problem I have is that this Exemption applies to cars in their original state and this car, from the moment I bought it has been a modified car. It has a swapped engine, an aftermarket ECU, headers, exhaust, ITB set up intake, among other things... Plus, we have completely disassembled it and put it back together to strengthen the chasis and make sure everything under the paint was ok (since these eighties cars are notorious for rust issues).

I have spoken many times to both Customs in Miami, to the EPA, and the DoT and no one really seems to want to confirm it if would be ok to bring the car through customs. Even if I convert the car back to complete stock (the most important components being the motor, intake, exhaust, and all emissions components such as egr, canister, catalytic converter and o2 sensor and etc) which I can do, I just need to find all the parts and put it all back together according to the factory manual... EPA tells me I would still need to bring it in through an RI (or a Registered Importer who are licensed and approved to modify cars to conform to all regulations according to DOT and EPA).

On the other hand, I've spoken numerous times to a reputable RI, and the RI tells me that I shouldn't really talk to either of those 3, customs, EPA, and DOT, about my car too much and too just bring it in the way it is (with all the modifications) and that it will get through due to the AGE, on the other hand they tell me, with all the modifications it has it will be tough to register it, but I should be able to bring it through customs and can worry about that later.

Honestly I don't know... The thought of selling the car and losing it without trying is impossible for me. I want to try and go all the way and if all fails and the car is lost in limbo since it can't return to Peru or come into the U.S or if it's destroyed and I lose all my money, well at least I can say I tried it for it's sake.

What I have planned though, is to still go ahead with all the modifications to make the car stock once again (find a stock replacement motor, emissions stuff and all factory stuff) and bring it in through Houston and through the RI (they can handle all the paperwork) as a STOCK 25 year old classic car. I'm hoping if they ask to many questions, the RI can handle it with their experience and the car will be stock as per factory and all regulations in the USA when it was sold there in the eighties (did I mention the car is a salvages American car?) so hopefully it will not be denied.

In comparison, if I bring it in the way is is now, with it burning a gallon of gasoline per mile and causing a ruckus at anything above 1k rpm, then if they ask any questions it's definitely going to be shown the door.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any opinions.

Last edited by cfabregas4; 09-05-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
You should have no problem importing it since it is over 25 years old and doesn't conflict with any wacko DOT or EPA issues.

The issue will be getting it legal for the road in whatever state you plan to end up in. Some states you can register just about anything, other states have inspections, other states also have pollution controls.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 AM

568 posts, read 2,420,851 times
Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Since it is over 25 years old, importing it is not a problem. Where you will run into problems is getting it registered to drive on US roads. If it was me and you could handle the costs of what might end up being an offroad only car, then bring it in and see if you can get it homologated. If this would have to be your ONLY car, then it might be a bit of a risk and you might be better off selling it in Peru.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
I think it just comes down to the state. California would probably be very difficult due to emissions standards for cars past 1975. Florida has a reputation for being able to register anything. Some states like where I live in PA, it would have to have a mechanical inspection.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think it just comes down to the state. California would probably be very difficult due to emissions standards for cars past 1975. Florida has a reputation for being able to register anything. Some states like where I live in PA, it would have to have a mechanical inspection.
At a minimum the car would have to be able to pass any federal safety and emissions regulations applicable to its model year before you could even get into the process of registering the car and meeting the states requirements. This is usually the greatest hurdle for an import like this as emissions and safety standards vary greatly and the US is generally much stricter than other countries. Often the cost of making a car US road compliant is much greater than the cost of the actual car. In the OP's case though, similar models were sold in the US, so it might be an easier process.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,319 times
Im having the same problem i want to ship my 1994 Honda Civic race car to peru. PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
ask here EXPATPERU • Index page

Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,260 times
It's ********s like you that call them "street racer cars" That makes it hard to get them. *******, Grow the **** up and race on the track. You can still place bets, but you have a lower risk of dying in a crash, or killing someone else for that matter. This is why I am for the laws to be changed from being 16 to being 18 to get a drivers license.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcdog View Post
It's ********s like you that call them "street racer cars" That makes it hard to get them. *******, Grow the **** up and race on the track. You can still place bets, but you have a lower risk of dying in a crash, or killing someone else for that matter. This is why I am for the laws to be changed from being 16 to being 18 to get a drivers license.
They maybe lax on street racing in Peru but our op wont last long street racing in the USA.Car will probably end up being impounded and our op needing to pay off $$$K's in fines.
Unless you have plans on using the car solely as a track vehicle i'd sell it in Peru..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive