Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

41 posts, read 47,045 times

Advertisements

You may all tell me to go away cos I am a women, but hey my exhaust is loud and it sounds insanely fantastic. Period.

I have a Landrover 90 defender, ecu remapped, 208bhp, oversized intercooler, silicone pipes so as not to waste boost, straight through stainless exhaust, egr by pass, uprated brakes, suspension, race clutch, everyhting I can do I have done and I love the roar.

Its not big, its not clever but the sound oh the sound...........its just music to my ears....no different to a well tuned piano I suppose if thats your bag.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM

134 posts, read 174,292 times
I guess it depends on the application. Pickup trucks sound pretty stupid. And the only diesel that should EVER have straight pipes is a 2 cycle Detroit Diesel; those sound heavenly.
Now on to cars. Porsches with flat 6 engines, especially air cooled models, sound amazing. Ferrari v8 and v12/flat 12, Lamborghini v10 and v12s and Aston Martins v8 and v12 models all sound great with loud exhausts. Needless to say corvettes, cameras and dodge challengers sound good too.

Anyone that's says that man is trying to compensate are full.of it.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:36 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,034,329 times
It starts early in life.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,182,572 times
It sure does.
http://youtu.be/MC0dK42wOOA

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Most of you have stated you like the sound of the exhaust, but I fear my original question has not been addressed.
The question is still, WHY?
Excellent question and here's the answer:

Because the guys/kids with the LOUD exhaust associate fast cars with loud cars; e.g. NASCAR, Indy, Grand Prix, etc. However, the majority of the guys or kids with LOUD exhaust systems cannot afford the loud track race cars, nor the quiet 350-500 hp, 0-60 in 3.8-4 second cars on the showroom floors (BMW M3, Mercedes AMG, Mustang Shelby, Audi S Series, HEMI, etc).

To compensate they install loud exhaust systems on their slow 0-60 in 15 second cars to give others the impression they they are driving a rally fast car, when in reality they're driving a slow piece of crap.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,251,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

Because the guys/kids with the LOUD exhaust associate fast cars with loud cars; e.g. NASCAR, Indy, Grand Prix, etc. However, the majority of the guys or kids with LOUD exhaust systems cannot afford the loud track race cars, nor the quiet 350-500 hp, 0-60 in 3.8-4 second cars on the showroom floors (BMW M3, Mercedes AMG, Mustang Shelby, Audi S Series, HEMI, etc).

To compensate they install loud exhaust systems on their slow 0-60 in 15 second cars to give others the impression they they are driving a rally fast car, when in reality they're driving a slow piece of crap.
I'd love to see all those 3.8-4 second cars with 500 HP or less. Especially the ones in your list. The quiet ones in your list.

Loud is relative. My GTO (Magnaflows and H-pipe) is a little louder than stock at idle or everyday acceleration, and much louder at WOT. But it's a 400+ HP V8 modern musclecar. OTOH my neighbor's girlfriend drives a 4 cylinder Eclipse, with a primered fender, and a HUGE fartcan barely hanging on the back. I can hear her for several blocks when she leaves. I doubt that car makes 150 HP and that fartcan isn't making the slightest bit of performance difference.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,311,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

So, that's the only reason I, at almost 50 years old, put a nice, louder exhaust on my BMW?

I LOVE the ignorance on this board sometimes. I realize it's a general purpose forum, and people aren't expected to know much about specific subjects like here in the automotive section, but still...

Old 11-03-2011, 03:15 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,888,784 times
Always wondered why people with loud exhaust tend to set and rev their engine when stopped for a traffic light. Same car with quiet exhaust, they'd never touch the gas. And not talking about a big cam or carburetor loading up.

Same thing goes for motorcycles. Loud pipes, rev it up.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,804,805 times
Some Harleys are so loud, I can't even tell what direction they are coming from, so there's a point I think when they are just being obnoxious. If it literally hurts my ears, I don't see how that can be a safety feature. Maybe I should just install train horns on my car and ride around blowing that for safety.

Cars with loud pipes don't bother me, because most aren't really ear splittingly loud. The cops around me leave the Harleys alone, but will jump on any import with a loud exhaust. A american pony car or pickup truck wont be hassled unless it is really beat looking and in the wrong neighborhood with the wrong people driving it.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,036,441 times
reminds me of "back in the day" on a big cruise night in WI; my friend got pulled over in his AMX. Sure it wasnt exactly quiet, but back then really how many modded cars were?
Anyhow as the cop is writing the ticket for noise ordinance, the local bike gang goes rumbling by, shaking the concrete.... we pointed that out to the officer and asked about their ticket, and he flatly responded "are you serious?"...

Im near 50 and love the sound of a healthy vehicle with nice exhaust. In fact wil be doing some mods to our car again. But that doesnt mean i cant drive thru our 'hood and keep it down, and refrain from revving it at the lights... lets blame the drivers of these loud bikes/cars not the rides themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive