Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM

46 posts, read 188,508 times

Advertisements

We might be in the market for a new SUV, and are hoping to get some honest recs...my husband was in love with the Yukon Denali for years, and then got his little heart broken when we went to compare it to the Acadia because it has NO cargo room and the 3rd row seating is a joke! Ish. Who knew? We have 3 children, are looking for captains chairs for the middle row (easy in-and-out), a decent 3rd row that can comfortably seat adults and fairly decent cargo/trunk space. Is that so hard??

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Relocated to Automotive from NOVA since you were looking for a vehicle, not the dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaVanTwee View Post
We might be in the market for a new SUV, and are hoping to get some honest recs...my husband was in love with the Yukon Denali for years, and then got his little heart broken when we went to compare it to the Acadia because it has NO cargo room and the 3rd row seating is a joke! Ish. Who knew? We have 3 children, are looking for captains chairs for the middle row (easy in-and-out), a decent 3rd row that can comfortably seat adults and fairly decent cargo/trunk space. Is that so hard??

I think it's very hard to get that in an SUV. My coworker has a Toyota Sequoia and loves it and it's plenty roomy. I think you are going to have to get something around that size and configuration. The only other vehicle that seems to fit your needs is a van. My friend had a Sienna that was so roomy, it was unbelievable. Any of the SUVs we had (mid-size) couldn't hold a candle to it as far as passenger seating PLUS cargo.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,428 times
Ditto on the van! I've been holding out - we currently have a ford exlporer, and a Acura MDX. Neither of which have a usable 3rd row, IMHO. We only have 2 kids, so it works for now, but when #3 comes we're going to bite the bullet and get a honda odyssey. We've considered the Expedition, or Suburban, but thery're so big. I struggle parking my Acura in most little spaces around here, so I don't think I can go any bigger. Same for our 2 car garage - we can just barely squeeze in the 2 cars we have (when I was pregnant I couldn't get in and out though, lol).

Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times
I would respectfully ask you to consider a large wagon instead of a gargantuan SUV. The Yukons, Tahoes and the like end up blocking the view into the traffic ahead for everyone behind them, and I'm convinced that their sheer size makes it harder to operate them safely; being that high off the ground makes it seems like you're going slower than you are, and evidently it becomes much harder to stay in your lane or park between the lines.

I'm a hippie-hating, gun-loving native Texan, and you have the right to buy whatever you want; I'm just asking you to consider other options.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,862 times
Hard to believe my parents and us 4 kids were able to make do with the typical sedan when growing up. Heaven forbid nowadays!

I also wish they would stop making these hulking vehicles. If you can't park it straight and between the lines, you shouldn't drive it. Pet peeve.

AND, off topic, the six of us lived in a house with only 3 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths My parents would probably be charged with child abuse these days for making us share bedrooms! Funny how times and mentality have changed over the years.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,588 times
Quote:
I drove a Lexus LX 470 for a while and really liked it. It doesn't have captains chairs though.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
I have a 2011 Honda Pilot. It has everything I need in it. I have all the bells and whistles and for around $40,000. (touring edition) It does however have a second row bench seat, but my kids have no trouble getting out from the third row. It could have a bit more cargo room but with the easily folded rear seat it's not that big a problem. Plus both resale and reliability are outstanding.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
It's not an SUV, but our '04 Toyota Sienna has two removable second-row seats, comfortable third-row seating, and a reasonable amount of cargo space with all the seats up and occupied by people. We used it for carpooling for several years, with 5 and sometimes 6 of us riding to work, and *everyone* was comfortable. It also gets good gas mileage given the size of the vehicle and a 6-cylinder engine, with a lifetime average of 25 mpg.

I suspect the current model has more features.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
My parents have a Hyundai Veracruz. The third row seemed roomy to me when we rode in it. No captains' chairs though.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times
I have an old Volvo 740 wagon. Lemme tell you, there is nothing it cannot haul. Nothing. New full-size bathtub, in the box? Check. Six-foot bookcase from Pottery Barn? No problem. Seven-foot display case? With ease. Via the roof rack, a new 12-foot kitchen countertop, 8-foot boat, or a set of mattresses? "Yawn," says Olaf. "Come back when you have something challenging." It even has jump seats in the back, for kids.

It gets 26 mpg, highway. And the turning radius is truly freakish. I swear it turns tighter than a Mini Cooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive