Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So will a MY 1999 Kali-Kar run on straight E-85? I thought you were suggesting making a "splash blend" with something more than 10% "hooch" just for the smog test.
I just reread throught the thread where you advised against running straight E-85. That's probably a smart idea.

Seriously, you run the risk of damaging your car. Your fuel mileage will drop 25-30%. There's no benefit. If he meant a spalsh blend, I must have misunderstood. Even at that, I wouldn't chance it. The benefit wouldn't be worth the risk taking E10 to E20, E22, or some other percentage.

Last edited by dbbd; 10-13-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times
Quote:
Since I don't and won't live there, I don't care what they do.
Since you want to get personal, I don't live in east Washington state and I won't ever live there. There's more to life than automobiles.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Since you want to get personal, I don't live in east Washington state and I won't ever live there. There's more to life than automobiles.
Didn't mean to be rude. Just sayin'.

Actually I would think just checking the OBD II and spotting the owner one "unready" is a more practical way to do a smog check than Kali's way - which like I said seems to be set up to just be a damn PITA without any corresponding benefit.

And OF COURSE there is more to life than cars - there are motorcycles as well!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I think they do, but fortunately don't know for sure. I am guessing there in Chi-town if the CEL is not on, they interrogate the OBD-II computer, and if it's happy, they punch your ticket, right?
Yep. It's a pretty simple matter: if your CEL light is on, don't bother. If it's off and has been for a while, go for it because you're gonna pass.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilabegeSine View Post
ya friend right.....nice saying you....Also I want to share my problem with you....so if you then keep in touch.
All your base are belong to us.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Just read the title. Try three days of eating bean burritos.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I meant to say that the very fresh lube oil in the engine and the very fresh spark plugs will help you with HC. They won't do anything for CO, nor for NOX, as far as I know.

So long as your O2 sensor is good enough not to set the CEL, I would think you wouldn't have any issues with CO, since it goes pretty much with mixture rich/lean.

The tip on adding more ethanol to reduce NOX is the only one I know of - typically if you are OK on HC and CO but not NOX, this is a sign the cat is wearing out...

Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you had a clue about gas formulations across the country you would know that most of Kalifornia is already using E15 and has been since 1998. If that hasn't "mucked" up his engine, E85 isn't going to hurt it. For the YM 1998, the then new emissions standards in California made all vehicles sold there a flex fuel use vehicle. I would assume anybody with any kind of thinking at all would have run the tank close to empty, put a few gallons in and have it tested. If you had a clue about thermal dynamics you would also know that the reason cars fail the "sniffer" test is due to NOx which is caused by high combustion temps. Using the E85 lowers it, like I said, and can make a margin car pass emissions testing. Maybe you need to get in a classroom and learn something about what goes on under the hood. But I agree with the quoted statement you posted.
If you had a clue you would realize its E10 not E15 and a car that runns E10 or E15 wont necessarily run E85. Also Cali does not have all flex fuel vehicles, I think you are confusing flex fuel with low emissions vehicles. A low emissions vehicle (PZEV, ULEV etc) might mean upgraded or additional cat, upgraded egr system, different air cleaner etc... Take your own advice and learn something

Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
OP, I have posted this up before, but anyway - probably beyond just making sure the car is well-warmed-up before testing, if you want to give yourself some margin, change the oil, even though it may only have a couple thousand miles on it. Drain the oil into a clean container if you are cheap enough to want to re-use it. Also I think on your car the spark plugs are very easy to DIY, 4 new plugs also will help. Given oil and plugs with less than 100 miles on them, an engine that otherwise would be marginal should pass no problemo.

I *think* what Trapper is on about is that if you added a couple of gallons of E-85, to the tank full of E-10 you probably have already, that this can tend to depress the combustion temperature and help keep NOX formation down. You would not want to run straight E-85 in a car that's not "flex-fuel" or otherwise designed for it.
one more thing to do is replace the air filter, again even if it only has a few months of use on it. as for using E85 to help get past an emissions test, that is not a bad choice either, BUT like mitch said, you only want a couple of gallons added to at least a 1/4 tank, 3/8s tank is better. and after the test you want to immediately fill up with your normal fuel to dilute the remaining ethanol if you do not have a flex fuel engine.

as for drovers question, i personally dont know about california, but here in arizona 1996 and newer cars get hooked up and checked for any computer codes, no sniffer test here for obd2 cars.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Can anyone tell me what a person would do if they purchased a nice air cooler system to replace their stock airbox and the air cooler that was purchased like 4 years ago never came with a CARB certification number on it?

Smog check place failed my vehicle even though it passed every single test!
How do the idiots running CARB branch believe a foot long metal pipe an a superior air filter needs certification? I had K&N air filter in the stock airbox which was essentially the same filter, shaped different housed in a plastic box instead of being connected directly to the end of the metal pipe that replaced the plastic one?

How does the new setup mess up emissions or cause pollution that it needed to be certified and approved?

The company that made it back then didn't need any approvals, their new products which is essentially the same thing, come with the number. Company cannot simply issue me a number so I am stuck with a perfectly functional cool air intake system that I cannot use? What the F?

Tell me how this makes sense or regulating the air filtration helps improve the emissions if the vehicle passed already overly strict emission tests?

Am I wrong or did this state gone overboard with their emission tests and requirements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive