Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yes, ill see if it was himself who did the build on it or if he had someone else do it.
Actually if he paid people, I would trust it more, because people that charge, usually make a quality product.

I mean not that I am an expert on that car, but my guess, a built up decent big block is worth $3k or so, and a built up drag car with no engine, could be worth $2-5k, but from your description(roll cage, fab work) its probably easily worth $3k.

so $6k seems fair, if even a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5

... im just getting into Drag Racing
...dedicated Drag Car.
The larger and so far well avoided question is whether a newbie (to any hobby)...
should jump into the deep end of that hobby.

In this case a 30 year old track only vehicle that will require a trailer and truck...
(in addition to all the other ongoing expenses to operate)

OP: No one is doing you any favors encouraging this.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
First thing you need to do is forget about this grossly stupid problem child. This guy is unloading a major lemon on you. The Vega is a unibody constructed car and even with the standard 4 cylinder weight, the shock towers are known to collapse. There is no fix other than rebuild the car on a frame, and that's pretty stupid unless you just like having a heavy race car. I'd suggest you learn how to turn wrenchs first and then build yer own. You'll find unless you are a near ASE mechanic, finding out what parts came from what to build this car can be a major headache. If you build yer own, you know what went into it. Start with a stock base car like a 60's-70's car and rebuild the engine for the street. Work your way thru it and then if you want a dedicated strip car, you have a clue what it takes. Here's clue #1, when building a SUCCESSFUL race car, you don't start under the hood- wrong end. Start with the rear tires- size and width, then to the axle ratio and the speed you want to turn, then the tranny, now you have a clue what the engine build is supposed to be. Shade trees do it the other way lifting the hood first and throwing lots of mismatched parts at it and then wonder why they get their A$$ handed to them at the track.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Ive seen lots of big engined compact cars at local car shows and on YouTube. I kind of like the idea of a huge mill in a small lightweight car so long as its done right. Ive even seen a 454 Blown big block in a Honda Civic with a 6-71 Huffer.

I can ask about time slips, etc... but as a novice im more concerned about its beefiness and reliability as i wont be turning 5.84's anytime soon as a novice.

Whats a general rule of thumb for a necessary rebuild on a Drag Motor and GLide Trans ... can it be translated into Runs approx. ? Should i ask what the block and heads came out of ?

Yes, its got a roll cage and is tubbed .

Thanks.
Rule of thumb on a rebuild on a drag motor and glide trans? Best I can think of is to build it to go faster than you intend to. i.e. if you plan to run 8's, then built it to run in the 6's.

You can ask what the block and heads come out of if you want to...if it's a true 427 block, it was most likely a 1966-69 Corvette or Impala.

If it's a 454 fitted with a 396 crank, it's still a 427 (a destroked 454) but the block could be from anywhere.

Hopefully the heads are rectangle ports for high rpm breathing. Oval ports are good too for mid range power. The smaller big block Chevy heads are the round ports or "peanut ports"...they're not much good for high rpm breathing but they are good for low end grunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You said you are a beginner so why not start out with a beginner drag car.
A SB Camaro or a 5.0 Fox body Mustang is a great place to start.
Or drop a V8 into an S-10. Check out the latest Car Craft they're in the process of doing one.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
I think you looking at somebody's tired race car. If you get it for 5k you will probably dump another 4-5K into it the first year.

You said you are a beginner so why not start out with a beginner drag car.
A SB Camaro or a 5.0 Fox body Mustang is a great place to start.
Because if i can get something like a BB Vega for $5 k. right off the bat, it will satisfy all my speed requirements both now and in the future. Id rather have a huge h.p. Drag Car from the start and work up to its full potential output., than mess around selling and buying something new every year or so.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Because if i can get something like a BB Vega for $5 k. right off the bat, it will satisfy all my speed requirements both now and in the future. Id rather have a huge h.p. Drag Car from the start and work up to its full potential output., than mess around selling and buying something new every year or so.
Like a lot of people posting on the net they are looking for approval on their ideas.
A lot of posters have given you advise that makes sense but you are determined to buy this POS.

Good luck and come back in a year and post some photos of your trophy's.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Like a lot of people posting on the net they are looking for approval on their ideas.
A lot of posters have given you advise that makes sense but you are determined to buy this POS.

Good luck and come back in a year and post some photos of your trophy's.
Dont care about obtaining trophies . Wont be entering any classes. Just want something low cost yet robust for TestNtune night and hang out with some friends at the track doing some bar-b-q ing , etc... I appreciate everyones input , im not looking for the approval of others , but i do enjoy listening to others thoughts and rationale in case i havent thought of something . Dont be so hostile . Its not proper or worth it.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
What else should i be concerned about on a car like this ? What should i definetly ask this Guy about the car ? It is supposed to have seen 30 runs on the current build .

Any info appreciated. Thanks.
These are your words and you heard a lot of opposition that you call hostile.

Did you expect everybody to say OK inexperienced racer this car seems like a good deal and you should jump right on it?

If that's what you expected you came to the wrong place.

You asked opinions and you got them. Nobody is being hostile, nobody is going to lose money if you buy this car just like nobody has anything to gain.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Pro's

1) car is titled , alot of people try to see drag cars with no title

2) ford 9 inch with ladder bar setup, Try and find out what kit he used for the setup...

3) nitrous system ( However I don't recommend you using this) general rule of thumb is to just assume you will lose 2,500-5,000 miles of engine life every time you hit the button... also running often on nitrous will require an engine teardown/freshening up every other season depending

4) price isn't bad if you can get it for 5k... however, Vegas aren't popular... I am biased and would rather have a Nova as a start.

Cons

1) unknown engine specs.... What Carb? Forged internals? Type of heads? Intake Manifold?

2) no pics, lol

3) you can't fix it yourself, so you will have to rely on your track buddies

4) Safety features - you didn't list if it has a cage or not... most tracks will make you use em when you go into the 10's.... also need to know if it has a driveshaft loop and oil pan diaper

Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
These are your words and you heard a lot of opposition that you call hostile.

Did you expect everybody to say OK inexperienced racer this car seems like a good deal and you should jump right on it?

If that's what you expected you came to the wrong place.

You asked opinions and you got them. Nobody is being hostile, nobody is going to lose money if you buy this car just like nobody has anything to gain.
Your post #16 certainly displays elements of hostility thru your cockiness and chosen verbage ('POS') ... to which you have absolutely no certainty of . Cant you express yourself without having to resort to this kind of low-lifeness ? Perhaps your own Drag Car isnt running too well at present, or, maybe you are jealous because you are without money to spend on the Drag Racing hobby ?? One can only speculate as to your chosen hostile language. In any case, youve offered your 2 cents, so thank you...and you may now exit from the thead. End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive