Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
You are partially correct.

Diameter doesn't make too much difference, but if anything, smaller is slightly better.
I'm sorry, but it is not really a question. The larger diameter the tire the more effective it will be. I have no idea how you came to that mistaken belief, but it isn't even a matter of dispute. There is a reason, and that is that every obstacle the taller tire confronts, be it snow, ice, or rock, is a little physics experiment in progress. And, when you look at that experiment you will see that the taller tire presents a smaller attack angle on the obstacle and requires less traction to get over it. Call your tire store and ask them. Or, ask anyone who has tried to drive a subcompact in the snow with 155/80 13" tires.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
J e e p

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
As I said, height isn't really important.
It's a metter for personal debate. There are arguments for and against.
On fresh snow, a taller tyre is probably better, but on hard packed snow or ice it maes no difference.

We very rarely get to drive on fresh snow because there are so many cars on the roads.

However, taller wheels are normally wider, therefore it's harder to get skinny rubber to fit

Call your local tyre store and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'm sorry, but it is not really a question. The larger diameter the tire the more effective it will be. I have no idea how you came to that mistaken belief, but it isn't even a matter of dispute. There is a reason, and that is that every obstacle the taller tire confronts, be it snow, ice, or rock, is a little physics experiment in progress. And, when you look at that experiment you will see that the taller tire presents a smaller attack angle on the obstacle and requires less traction to get over it. Call your tire store and ask them. Or, ask anyone who has tried to drive a subcompact in the snow with 155/80 13" tires.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
As I said, height isn't really important.
It's a metter for personal debate. There are arguments for and against.
On fresh snow, a taller tyre is probably better, but on hard packed snow or ice it maes no difference.

We very rarely get to drive on fresh snow because there are so many cars on the roads.

However, taller wheels are normally wider, therefore it's harder to get skinny rubber to fit

Call your local tyre store and ask them.

Actually, overall diameter is the most important factor in traction. Not a matter for debate.

As for your claim that taller tires are wider, wrong again. A taller tire presents more surface area to the ground and therefore does not require as much width to distribute the same weight. Accordingly, when a taller tire is an option for the same vehicle weight it is a narrower tire.

How did you get so confused on this stuff?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
I was quite surprised at how cheap snow tires are this year. I suppose volume is way down due to all the fwd and awd rigs on the road.

A large blizzak 245/75 16 was $122 at tire rack and a 205/65 15 conventional snow with studs was $92.

I bought 8 snow tires tonight.
------------------------------------------------------------------

You should read up how short the life is of a blizzak tire is when they are driven on dry pavement between snowstorms. On dry pavement, they fairly quickly regress to just a standard snow tire, with no studs.

The traditional studded snow tire will last years.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

You should read up how short the life is of a blizzak tire is when they are driven on dry pavement between snowstorms. On dry pavement, they fairly quickly regress to just a standard snow tire, with no studs.

Admittedly, I have never given the Blizzak or the Happakellita a real test of mileage. We have a short snow and ice season here, and while it is deadly because of the hills and the drastic temperature changes, it only runs a few months. The blizzaks are on a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and the four studded snows are on my full size Mercedes sedan. So at least they are on the lighter vehicle. I think I will leave the blizzaks on the Jeep for the duration and see just how long they do last.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

there are different types of blizzaks. you can buy a performance blizzak which trades some ice performance for longer life and handling which is what i have on the bmw or you can get the shorter tread life but better ice and snow performer .

quite frankly the performance blizzaks were awesome, i would never even need anything better ........

Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are different types of blizzaks. you can buy a performance blizzak which trades some ice performance for longer life and handling which is what i have on the bmw or you can get the shorter tread life but better ice and snow performer .

quite frankly the performance blizzaks were awesome, i would never even need anything better ........
I think they only had the one version in my size.

P245/75R-16 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1

Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
on my bmw i use the performance series . im thinking of getting winter tires for the jeep sahara next. except for the investment in some cheap alloy wheels the tires are actually free. your regular tires last just that much longer and if they save you from one slid and 1 deductable your ahead of the game.

only concern i had with the bmw and snow tires was i was always afraid of getting hit from behind because i would stop so much faster than cars behind me.

BLIZZAK Performance winter / snow tires feature high-performance winter tread compounds molded into directional tread designs that provide thousands of biting edges to combine stop and go traction in snow with responsive handling in wet and dry road conditions.

BLIZZAK Studless Ice & Snow tires feature a patented MULTICELL compound that contains millions of microscopic pores to help grip ice without the use of studs. BLIZZAK Studless Ice & Snow tires have been shown to stop a vehicle traveling at only 30 miles per hour an average of 35 feet shorter on ice than popular all-season radials...a distance of about two car lengths!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
How did you get so confused by my posts ?

I didn't say taller tyres were wider.

What I said is that the fashionable modern taller WHEELS tend to be wider, and tend to need wider tyres

I'm not necessarily arguing with you about the taller tyres, again, there are arguments both ways.
It's more the height of the sidewall which matters than the overall height. Perhaps that's what you aren't understandng ?

A 205/40/17 will give much less grip than a 175/80/17
It's all about aspect ratio, rather than overall size.
However, I doubt they even make a 175/80/17, and if they did, I doubt it'd fit on most modern mag wheels.

Quote:
Actually, overall diameter is the most important factor in traction. Not a matter for debate.

As for your claim that taller tires are wider, wrong again. A taller tire presents more surface area to the ground and therefore does not require as much width to distribute the same weight. Accordingly, when a taller tire is an option for the same vehicle weight it is a narrower tire.

How did you get so confused on this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive