Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

I suppose my experience is anecdotal as well. Most people I know lease their cars and don't opt to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That's what you get for asking such a stupid question. Hopefully you were joking. Mercedes is the higher end of mainstream cars. They are not generally super cars. A Rolls Royce is a super car. They are excotic. An S-class is a standard choice for the common wealthy man an they are everywhere.
Gee..... I was working for the Asian distributor of Ferrari at the time, who coincidentally were also the distributors of Rolls Royce in Japan. So yes, in fact I was familiar with the cars. In fact I knew Rolls well enough to be not all that impressed with the cars other than from a quality of materials standpoint. Engineering wise they were an overly complicated version of a 57 Chevy. Mercedes at the time was the pinnacle in quality and engineering in a production car.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,543 times
Default Mercedes Benz

Mercedes Benz SL550[/url] which is going to hit the market
in the mid of 2012. The latest 2013 Mercedes Benz SL class will offer you
more comfort and athletic characteristics. This is going to be the most
stylish and luxurious version of the SL class of cars.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Perhaps because doing so would contribute to the greater good. It's because people have forgotten the aspect of the "greater good" that we are in the situation we're in right now, as a country. Let's face it... greed and selfishness caused this crisis.

A wise move, but again, that extra $60,000 or so over a comparable car of a "lesser" make would have helped out a lot of people. Explain to people in line at the church food pantry why it was that you HAD to spend enough extra money on a fancy car, to feed ten families for a year.

I've been a landlord. Rental properties are FAR from passive income. If you're lucky enough for some of your income to be passive, that's great... but the buck stops with you when it comes to repairs (and their cost), evictions (and their cost), clean-ups and make-readies (and their cost), and the best one of all... LAWSUITS.

Perhaps. But I've found that far better than any passive income is the ability to earn money doing exactly what you'd be doing in your spare time if you had enough passive income never to have to work again. Because then you still have an income, and you don't have the worries associated with the passive income.

All good qualities. But for $60,000 or so extra? Is that what you'd tell people who are barely making ends meet because life has dealt them a bad hand? (Again, remember that I do not sympathize with ALL needy people. Most of them really aren't needy. But some are.)

There's a difference between the relationship between employee and employer, and the relationship between friends.

I suspected as much. The symptoms are always the same. Well, live it up while you're on earth. The weather is mightily HOT for people who live like there's no God. (And even if you don't believe that, is it a risk you're willing to take? Forever is a very long time, my friend.)

"Above average car" = understatement of the day. "Altima" = yeah, a probably $35,000-40,000 HYBRID Altima. It's not like you drive a 2003 Altima with 120,000 miles on it. "Taurus wagon" - what do you use this thing for? Does anyone else know you have it? Seems you're really obsessed with your image. "I use the Mercedes for client meetings"... why, so that they can already admire you for being able to afford that? Frankly, if I were a prospective client of someone's, and they drove to the meeting in a brand-new $100,000 vehicle, I would take my business elsewhere because in the end I'm not paying entirely for the services, I'm paying for the fancy car.

Are your schools in Germany? (Or are they in Jersey, where very few - is any- vehicular manufacturing / engineering operations are still located?)

I don't know about that. I had a Taurus wagon myself and I wouldn't buy another one from that vintage at least. Maybe a slightly newer one... but it'll be a while before I buy another Ford, I think. Nothing is ever overpriced. If it were overpriced, people wouldn't buy it... the demand would go down and the supply would build up, causing the market price to go down to a level where the demand equaled the supply. The market determines the price of everything, unless you're not in a truly free market.

And what in the world are you doing going 110 miles per hour anyway? What road in the USA is safe enough to handle that speed, even if you know there are no cops lurking around? You might do okay at 110 on a Midwestern interstate in the summertime at 3 AM with no traffic... but really...!?!? Giving props to vehicle because it handles better at 110 mph... wouldn't you be more interested in its handling at 65-70 mph? (I guess I shouldn't be surprised, having learned to drive in Jersey and having experienced Jersey drivers for many years...)
For some people getting from point a to point b means something very different. For myself and I'm sure they are many others like me driving is their greatest passion one of best reasons for living. There is no other feeling in the world like going through the tightest curves in cars with the most superior suspensions. In my opinion those cars are generally German made, BMW suspensions are best described by auto critics world over as having perfectly weighted steering.

Auto enthusiasts all over no matter how poor or how rich have the right to spend as much as they can afford for their automobile of choice no matter how frivolous. For some of us our cars help give us pleasure, lower stress levels (eliminating cost of possible therapy) and just feel better about life in general whether its sweet or totally sucks at least the drive home will be a blast

Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Because foreign cars are not as frugal as domestic. While it may give a perception of superiority, that is all that is achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive