Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

for the same reason a BS or MBA costs so much, useless prestige.
just sold my bmw and gota toyota, good move.
u cant boil or fry prestige and the landlord wont take it in lieu of rent.
the GF says she thinks the toyota is more comfortable.
how do u like that? she never wanted to go 170 MPH anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for the same reason a BS or MBA costs so much, useless prestige.
just sold my bmw and gota toyota, good move.
u cant boil or fry prestige and the landlord wont take it in lieu of rent.
the GF says she thinks the toyota is more comfortable.
how do u like that? she never wanted to go 170 MPH anyway.
BMWs aren't the most comfortable cars. They really focus on fun driving. Audi is the way to go for interior luxury, in terms of the mainstream cars.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
BMWs aren't the most comfortable cars. They really focus on fun driving.
Agreed. I mean, as far as stance goes, they have the lowest cars, the smallest wheel gap, and the thinnest tire profiles across the board of any mainstream full line automaker (not including exotics). Whenever I see a grandma or grandpa driving one I just think how their know it all son must have talked them out of getting a DTS or Town Car because they are American and into something "they" like. Maybe because they think they'll inherit it? Wild speculation of course. But yeah, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that a typical mushy midsize car with cheap dampers but tall ride height and smaller wheels will ride smoother then most any BMW sedan.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
And unlike some companies, even the basic BMW cars get the same suspension, just tuned for more comfort. Where other companies make basic suspensions and add parts to try to compensate when they make a performance variant.

Then there are the build qualit and solidity arguments. The BMW and Mercedes, for example, sound and feel completely different when you, say, close the doors. They have more seals and tighter tolerances, as well as more solid hinges and latches.

All these things add up to extra cost and extra worth to peopel who value them. I value the suspension dynamics that BMW builds into even the least of its cars. I value the steering and braking fedback that are engineered into them. When I went and picked up my then 8 year old BMW, I drove a new Sonata rental with only 2000 miles on it. The BMW was vastly more solid, with vastly better feedback and handling dynamics. And it had 143k miles on it at the time.

Buying new means getting the latest safety and environmental tech as well as a warranty. It CAN have to do with snob appeal, if that's what the buyer wants, but it's not all of it, and it's not all buyers. And to say that they are "just another vehicle" is ignorance in the extreme. And worse, as a car guy, it's WILLFUL ignorance just so you can insult a certain segment of buyers.
I've been in my fair share of the German marque vehicles and there is nothing SPECIAL about them when compared with other vehicles of the same stature. I'm not trying to compare a Kia and a Benz as being one in the same but rather illustrating the point that both are mass-produced vehicles.

Unless you buy the AMG Mercedes (not sure about the M BMW), you're buying a mass-produced vehicle made on an assembly line like any other mainstream car; you AREN'T buying some unique and special. That's why I made the point about buying a vehicle such as a Bentley or Rolls Royce where these vehicles ARE special; having materials hand crafted, hand finished, etc. You don't have that level of exclusiveness in ANY mass-produced vehicle whether it be a $10K Kia or $100K Mercedes.

Are Mercedes built to a higher standard than a Chevy/Ford/Kia etc? Of course because the clientele expect the finished product to have certain qualities befitting the price tag. When spending in excess of, say $60K, you expect a certain level of fit/finish not expected on something much cheaper.

I'm not trying to INSULT anyone nor am I being willingly ignorant, if anything you're the one being ignorant. I have admitted that I like German vehicles but I'm also smart enough to realize that the marketing campaign and the perception of all other vehicles being inferior, is ONE reason why Mercedes/BMW are so popular with a certain segment of the population.

You can argue the sporty feel of a BMW all you want but the MAJORITY of buyers aren't buying a BMW for the nature of the car but rather the idea of having this glorious BMW in their garage. I'm glad you like your Beemer, by all means enjoy it. I'm not denigrating anyone's choice in vehicles, it just irks me when some people (not you or NJGoat) come here and sing of the praises of anything from Germany as being utterly superior.

Don't want to ruffle feathers, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm not working today, been feeling quite sick, so I have too much time on my hands .

Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Two of my friends, one retired Air Force and one a plant worker at the M-B facility both tell me just how "normal" German cars really are. They've both spent lots of time in Germany and will tell you just how common those cars are. The fact is, Mercedes won't sell a car with roll up windows, manual transmission, vinyl seats, sub 200hp engine, small wheels blah blah in this country. They've tried a few cheap cars, the two hatchbacks that M-B and BMW both had a while back (C230 and 318ti, I think?) but cars like that just don't do very well here.

No, they'd rather maintain the air of being better and above everything else because that's the way our market perceives them, they can also charge more money. But back in Germany thay make cheap cars that end up as taxis, fleet cars, common people's cars for their citizens to drive. Like he's saying, until you get into an AMG, or 50-60K+ car, what they have to offer is no more special then the typical American, Japanese or Korean built machine (drive layout notwithstanding.)

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Two of my friends, one retired Air Force and one a plant worker at the M-B facility both tell me just how "normal" German cars really are. They've both spent lots of time in Germany and will tell you just how common those cars are. The fact is, Mercedes won't sell a car with roll up windows, manual transmission, vinyl seats, sub 200hp engine, small wheels blah blah in this country. They've tried a few cheap cars, the two hatchbacks that M-B and BMW both had a while back (C230 and 318ti, I think?) but cars like that just don't do very well here.

No, they'd rather maintain the air of being better and above everything else because that's the way our market perceives them, they can also charge more money. But back in Germany thay make cheap cars that end up as taxis, fleet cars, common people's cars for their citizens to drive. Like he's saying, until you get into an AMG, or 50-60K+ car, what they have to offer is no more special then the typical American, Japanese or Korean built machine (drive layout notwithstanding.)
I think Tourian really hits the nail on the head.

Mercedes produced for the US market are much different than those produced for the European market. Mercedes are used as taxicabs in Europe, that'd be almost unheard of here!

I vaguely remember some of the "cheap" attempts of Mercedes trying to import vehicles that weren't in line with the brand perception here- they failed miserably because the US markets views the brand as upscale (mistake of MB even attempting to import low-cost vehicles).

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Mercedes/BMW don't make nice vehicles but rather they aren't wholly different than a comparable vehicle in the respective class.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I think Tourian really hits the nail on the head.

Mercedes produced for the US market are much different than those produced for the European market. Mercedes are used as taxicabs in Europe, that'd be almost unheard of here!

I vaguely remember some of the "cheap" attempts of Mercedes trying to import vehicles that weren't in line with the brand perception here- they failed miserably because the US markets views the brand as upscale (mistake of MB even attempting to import low-cost vehicles).

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Mercedes/BMW don't make nice vehicles but rather they aren't wholly different than a comparable vehicle in the respective class.

I also think that a lot of car companies (luxury) have fallen to the temptation of the almighty profit. Sacrificing quality in certain models for more money. I mean seriously....what is the rationale behind a 4 door porsche?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
I mean seriously....what is the rationale behind a 4 door porsche?

To sell them, what else? Germans are in business for the same reason as Americans, Koreans and Japanese; to make money.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
I mean seriously....what is the rationale behind a 4 door porsche?
Yeah, to make money, but I get what you are saying. I hear people talking about "selling out" and dilluting a brand, but I think that would apply more to the Cayenne (their SUV) then a four door. Everytime I see a Panamera I have to look, even though I think the vehicle is ghastly looking - just so I can see who is driving it and also because it is baller vehicle.

Still, though, they gotta make money to keep the lights on - so the "purists" can have their 911s and Caymans. Most times I hear people complaining about a carmaker selling out its an automobile magazine or a non-owner. I don't have a Porsche either. Are most Porsche owners really put off by the fact that the Panamera and Cayenne exist? I doubt it.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Still, though, they gotta make money to keep the lights on - so the "purists" can have their 911s and Caymans. Most times I hear people complaining about a carmaker selling out its an automobile magazine or a non-owner. I don't have a Porsche either. Are most Porsche owners really put off by the fact that the Panamera and Cayenne exist? I doubt it.

yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive