Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

Some folk's would rather text than drive it seems..........

"Amidst all the hand-wringing over distracted driving, a critical point is getting lost. The problem isn't the texting -- it's the driving. "

Driving has lost its cool for young Americans | Grist

An interesting twist on a growing concern.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM

220 posts, read 377,240 times
Pretty soon we'll have Soviet & Oz complaining about the "revenue generators" pulling them over, and lying about them texting while they were driving.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM

373 posts, read 710,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Pretty soon we'll have Soviet & Oz complaining about the "revenue generators" pulling them over, and lying about them texting while they were driving.
they wont have to pull them over. The texters will be already stopped because of the accident they have caused.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
How do these people expect to get around? Public transit is not nearly to the level it is in some other countries, and we are more spread out as well.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM

220 posts, read 377,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How do these people expect to get around? Public transit is not nearly to the level it is in some other countries, and we are more spread out as well.
Here is my one serious comment of the day...

I don't think that a lot of teenagers even consider practical things like that. They're cell phone/blackberry/iPhone has literally become an extension of their person-hood. It is an appendage that they cannot live without. It's an addiction.

Honestly, I think we're just now starting to see the tip of the iceberg, regarding this problem.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
What i've noticed is that today's parents tend to coddle their teens & support them financially in ways that would be considered extravagant & spoiling 20 yrs ago. Kids today don't have to work part-time jobs to get their Iphone, Ipad or Xbox. All these gadgets my parents would've deemed "toys" are now considered necessities, not luxuries. Which leads me to the point of this rant: today's teens don't need independent mode of transportation to after-school jobs or sports practice. Their parents do it all for them!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Exactly. Why should they bother to drive when mommy and daddy provide everything for them. If parents deem a cell phone a necessity for their kids, get them highly restrictive phones as children. When they become teenagers, get them a prepaid phone and leave the buying of new minutes or features up to them when, not if, they start working. If they can afford a better phone/plan then they can buy it themselves on their own plan. I couldn't wait to get my first car! Thankfully this trend hasn't hit my nephew who is helping his dad rebuild a Chevelle Malibu which will be his when it's done.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
What i've noticed is that today's parents tend to coddle their teens & support them financially in ways that would be considered extravagant & spoiling 20 yrs ago. Kids today don't have to work part-time jobs to get their Iphone, Ipad or Xbox. All these gadgets my parents would've deemed "toys" are now considered necessities, not luxuries. Which leads me to the point of this rant: today's teens don't need independent mode of transportation to after-school jobs or sports practice. Their parents do it all for them!
Very true. While America slept the cell phone companies dig in like a tick on a dog with their products and mis-represented "convenience" . Yes, "convenience" manufactured to create a market where was no market before.

Once more and more people started to believe that the cell phone was the panacea to all their problems the creation of "toys" (smart phones) came next to entice the children of any age under 21. The "toy factor" was the last marketing phase of making the cell phone a requirement were there was no requirement before.

The brain washing is now complete............Obi wan.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 12-27-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Here is my one serious comment of the day...

I don't think that a lot of teenagers even consider practical things like that. They're cell phone/blackberry/iPhone has literally become an extension of their person-hood. It is an appendage that they cannot live without. It's an addiction.

Honestly, I think we're just now starting to see the tip of the iceberg, regarding this problem.
I agree completely but what can be done about supposedly intelligent parents giving youngsters everything they want and many see nothing wrong with texting while driving. It's really too late after they have killed an innocent person in a crash they caused.

Unfortunately you just can't stop stupid.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
they wont have to pull them over. The texters will be already stopped because of the accident they have caused.
10-4 The gene pool will have a way of cleansing itself of texting drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive