Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
10-4 The gene pool will have a way of cleansing itself of texting drivers.
The problem is the other people they take out with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Some folk's would rather text than drive it seems..........

"Amidst all the hand-wringing over distracted driving, a critical point is getting lost. The problem isn't the texting -- it's the driving. "

Driving has lost its cool for young Americans | Grist

An interesting twist on a growing concern.........
I'm 18 years old and I didn't get my permit until I was 17. I don't think texting had anything to do with it, I just never really had an interest in driving to begin with. However, a lot of my friends skip school the day of their 16th birthday so they can go get their permit and they take their driving test at the earliest date possible.

I'm not really seeing how texting addiction among teens makes them not want to learn to drive.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I'm 18 years old and I didn't get my permit until I was 17. I don't think texting had anything to do with it, I just never really had an interest in driving to begin with. However, a lot of my friends skip school the day of their 16th birthday so they can go get their permit and they take their driving test at the earliest date possible.

I'm not really seeing how texting addiction among teens makes them not want to learn to drive.
Ok, what if you had access to mass transit and could pretty much get everywhere you need to. And what if you had to choose between your own car or a smart phone, which would you choose? Can't have both in this scenario.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM

8,563 posts, read 10,984,238 times
Smart phones are no different than Television, when it first hit the market.
That was the "toy of the day" back then, and as kids, we all crammed around it , watching as much of it as we could.
The big difference is we weren't driving while watching it.
Today, instead of television, there are phones, ipods,and video games to occupy young people's minds.
Now some call that an addiction, but the interest we showed as kids, when it came to watching the "new" television set, could also have been called an addiction.
Each generation has it own little quirks, and perhaps ahead, teens will be playing with gadgets that will transport them invisibly to another location, with the press of a button.
"Beam me up Scottie".

Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Some folk's would rather text than drive it seems..........

"Amidst all the hand-wringing over distracted driving, a critical point is getting lost. The problem isn't the texting -- it's the driving. "

Driving has lost its cool for young Americans | Grist

An interesting twist on a growing concern.........
I don't care which they'd rather do, as long as they do one or the other.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that gene pool cleansing could take you,your wife or child out when the moron texting hits them....THAT'S the bad part.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
I'm afraid the disease has spread so fast, and infected so many, that it's too late to depend on the gene pool to take care of it.

(How many of us can quote this post?)

Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Very true. While America slept the cell phone companies dig in like a tick on a dog with their products and mis-represented "convenience" . Yes, "convenience" manufactured to create a market where was no market before.

Once more and more people started to believe that the cell phone was the panacea to all their problems the creation of "toys" (smart phones) came next to entice the children of any age under 21. The "toy factor" was the last marketing phase of making the cell phone a requirement were there was no requirement before.

The brain washing is now complete............Obi wan.
We are becoming the Borg...
Accept technology as your master..
Give up your humanity to the all encompassing techno hive mind nanny state..
Resistance is futile..

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I wonder if people driving cars while reading newspapers was a problem in 1911. Somehow, I think in those days, people were smarter than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive