Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times

Advertisements

I have a 2000 subaru outback and it is time for the timing belt to be changed. I have talked to various places about this and some say change the water pump and oil pump at the same time so you do not have to go back in later and do it. I do plan to own the car for many more years so it does make sense to me as labor costs on these things is expensive so why not do it while they are in there? If I was going to sell the car in a year or two it does not make sense to spend all that money now but as I said I plan to be driving it for a long time. So I am wondering what others have done when it was time to change the timing belt? Did you spend the extra money and change the water pump and ouil pumps or not? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
I'd spend the extra money and change the water pump with the timing belt. I've always done it that way, you'd only be paying for the water pump price as you've already paid for the labor. Usually it's about 120-200 bucks more. As for the oil pump, I've never heard of that, I've never changed the oil pump. I wouldn't worry about changing the oil pump but I'm also not 100% sure about the oil pump maintenance etc.... Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,953 times
Agreed. Do at least the water pump. Just consider it preventative maintenance.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
On my car make water pumps last 180k or so, so typically during the 140k timing belt change they are r&r'd. I would research the typical lifespan of you water pump, if it typically lasts longer than your next timing belt change you can always wait.

There's always a risk replacing something that isn't broken, IMO, I like to avoid doing any unnecessary repairs and disturbing what ain't broke!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times
Timing belt, water pump, drive belt, crankshaft and camshaft seals should be the way to do it right th first time.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have a 2000 subaru outback and it is time for the timing belt to be changed. I have talked to various places about this and some say change the water pump and oil pump at the same time so you do not have to go back in later and do it. I do plan to own the car for many more years so it does make sense to me as labor costs on these things is expensive so why not do it while they are in there? If I was going to sell the car in a year or two it does not make sense to spend all that money now but as I said I plan to be driving it for a long time. So I am wondering what others have done when it was time to change the timing belt? Did you spend the extra money and change the water pump and ouil pumps or not? Thanks for any advice.
I would definitely do the water pump. Unsure of the oil pump but that depends on the model.

Another thing; go with top of the line parts, not just what's cheapest. One of my friends went all out to have his son's Camry serviced with a new water pump, T-belt, and engine seals. The water pump--which was the cheapest available--failed a few months later, tearing the belt up and causing a major headache. On some cars, it would be more like a catastrophe.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Ive done t-belts w/o water pumps and t-belts with pumps... neither time had any troubles. Its just preventative maintenance, thats all. And Ive known people who have replaced perfectly good water pumps with new ones and had problems with the new water pumps, which required removing the BAD new one and reinstalling the GOOD old one. lol Anyways, it wouldnt hurt to replace the water pump while doing the t-belt. Oh, be sure to replace the tensioner, too. As for the oil pump? Never ever heard anyone recommend doing that with a t-belt, but hey!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
I don't know details of Subi maintenance but generally a water pump can last well over 200K and an oil pump which is the best lubricated component on the car is a very rare failure. I would not replace either as maintenance.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
If it aint broke why fix it ?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Old thread ... but on this car, the water pump is driven by a sprocket that wears with the timing belt.

Best to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt.

The oil pump does not need to be replaced, but it's prudent to remove the front cover and check the oil pump mounting screws. These have been known to work loose and cause a major oil loss which requires a tear down to this area all over again. A new front crank seal would then be prudent to install.

Camshaft seals a rare failure at this time, so I wouldn't replace them absent a sign of seepage.

The water pumps are pretty modest in cost compared to the expense of going back into this area again for all the labor time to change just the water pump. You'll never be closer. And the pumps in these cars don't typically last 180,000 miles ... nor, for that matter, do the water pumps in most cars that I work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive