Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Take it to the P&OC forum.
I agree. Those who bring politics to the auto forum are looking for confrontation.

I like to post here because I am a car mudgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
There is no replacement for displacement. There are however infringement on our rights to travel by an unConstitutional government agency called the e.p.a. Think about it; you own and pay for your vehicle, but some lowlife dirtbag says you can not take off a piece of the exhuast system to make the vehicle perform better and get better mpg. More proof the epa is a fraud against the people.
As long as your engine doesn't spew NO, particulates, and other pollutants it can be as big and thirsty as you want.

I like clean air, and your right to own the engine you want doesn't override my right to clean, healthy air.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Sorry guys. I do get a bit po'ed about the direction our Country has been lied to in order to make a few things an over bearing gov. intrusion.
As for a big engine vs. a small engine, anything you do to a small engine can be done to a big engine with more powerful results!
Take the 383" 301 block based turbo engine I have; it made 1153hp with only 12 lbs of boost, 93 octane pump gas, a very mild hyd. roller cam. It will be going back into a 80 Turbo T/A I have once the car is is ready. It's the original block to the car, CV1 heads with the convertible exhaust port option, efi, and 2 cummins diesel turbos.
Same set up on a 468" engine made another 80 hp, but more important was the added torque the larger made, There is no way to make up that 200 lb of torque up with the smaller engine!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
99% of all scientists say man made global warming is a fact. the other 1% are conservatives.
Who you gonna believe?

1st
87.5324% of statistics are made up on the spot.

2nd
99% of Scientist thought the world was flat, and bloodletting cured disease. I am not ignorant enough to think our scientists are always correct, history has proved that wrong.

Either way I am also not going to believe you, since you appear to be close minded, confrontational and already made up your mind.

Alot of data has come out recently showing the falacies of man made Global warming. Data from scientists.

You do realize the world runs on money, just about all men are corrupt. Guess what that includes, scientists. They get into a field we are worried about get big grants that pay for their research and findings. The only way they will keep getting funding for their career, and something they are usually passionate about, is if there is a need to keep researching it.

Don't get me wrong, I want clean air, and live in a pollution free world. With the recent data out I think our country should re-evaluate things.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
btw as for no replacement for displacement...

This video reminded me to check on this thread.

1800 HP TT 454 CI LSX SBC from Tom Nelson. Nelson Racing Engines. - YouTube

Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As long as your engine doesn't spew NO, particulates, and other pollutants it can be as big and thirsty as you want.

I like clean air, and your right to own the engine you want doesn't override my right to clean, healthy air.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"As long as your engine doesn't spew NO, particulates, and other pollutants it can be as big and thirsty as you want."

Umm, as long as my car produces no more pollution than specified by the EPA in the year the car was built, the engine can be as big and thirsty as I want. I just happen to choose cars made before there were EPA regulations.

Quote:"I like clean air, and your right to own the engine you want doesn't override my right to clean, healthy air."

So do I. I am just obeying what the law states.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
With automakers starting to get higher horsepower ratings out of V6 and even 4-cylinder engines, are we going to see the demise of the V8 engine in the next 5 years or so?

I've been reading as much as I can about the 2014 C7 Corvette and I'm honestly a bit scared. I refuse to buy a V6 Corvette no matter how much power the twin-turbo setup generates. I also would HATE to see the V8 engine be downsized from 6.2L to 5.5L, I just see it as a step backwards. There is no replacement for displacement in my opinion especially in a sports car. I wish Chevrolet would release a bit more official info.

I'm thinking hard about buying a 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible and keeping it forever. If engines are continually going to be downsized, it might be the last opportunity to buy a high-displacement, high-horsepower V8 Corvette. I'm just curious as to what the sticker price is going to be on the 427 Convertibles...
I think you have to make the separation between high HP fun to drive sports cars and all out competition cars.
Big cubes will always win in all out acceleration, no argument there.

If you are talking about usable HP in high performance street vehicles/sports cars than yes the replacement for displacement is either superchargers or turbo charges.

If GM can build a Corvette with a smaller CI engine making 600 HP with a turbo or supercharger and get 20+ MPG, why do they need 427CI?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think you have to make the separation between high HP fun to drive sports cars and all out competition cars.
Big cubes will always win in all out acceleration, no argument there.

If you are talking about usable HP in high performance street vehicles/sports cars than yes the replacement for displacement is either superchargers or turbo charges.

If GM can build a Corvette with a smaller CI engine making 600 HP with a turbo or supercharger and get 20+ MPG, why do they need 427CI?
It's more than just pure horsepower numbers in my mind; it's about having a big, American V8 engine under the hood. It's also about reliability and complexity. The current LS3 is, by most standards, a fairly simple engine to work on. When you start adding a supercharger/turbochargers to the engine, it adds both unneeded complexity and expense if something does go wrong. The LS3 is damn near bullet proof which makes it so appealing to guys who want their Corvette to last 10-20-30 years.

The 427 Convertible that goes on sale late this year is going to be one of the few cars I would ever salivate over. I love that Chevrolet has brought back the iconic 427 nameplate and is going to FINALLY add the Z06 motor to a convertible. I PLAN on having a Corvette again quite soon and I'd absolutely love to put the new 427 in my garage and keep it forever. I just have this sinking feeling that the base price is going to be way out of my league- probably, at minimum, $85K.

I just don't like the idea of being forced to get a supercharger/turbochargers on a Corvette to make up for the lack of displacement.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"As long as your engine doesn't spew NO, particulates, and other pollutants it can be as big and thirsty as you want."

Umm, as long as my car produces no more pollution than specified by the EPA in the year the car was built, the engine can be as big and thirsty as I want. I just happen to choose cars made before there were EPA regulations.

Quote:"I like clean air, and your right to own the engine you want doesn't override my right to clean, healthy air."

So do I. I am just obeying what the law states.
I have no problem with this. And neither should 12Go.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
'60s go fast rule of thumb: "Less weight, more speed, no substitute for cubic inches, and if it won't go: chrome it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive