Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM

430 posts, read 1,694,558 times

Advertisements

Was looking at some used Honda Pilots online. Apparently the 2003 model had a recall on the timing belt and tensioner bar. This is interesting to me because I'm looking at cars with around 100k miles and factoring in if I would need to have the timing belt changed soon. Anyway, when I looked at the Carfax on 4 or 5 2003 models, there was no mention of a recall. Could this be because Pilots are made in different locations and maybe the recall was for one facility, or...? Thanks for any education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
CarFax is the ultimate evolution of the old GIGO principle, or Garbage In Garbage Out. CarFax is only as good as the data sources used to feed it. In some cases they miss things like the vehicle being involved in a major accident. Sometimes they miss the extensive repair records on a vehicle because the shop did not report them. Your recall could be a case of that. Either the VIN's you were looking at weren't part of it, or the only ones who show it were ones where the shop reported the repair.

Basically, don't trust what CarFax says beyond the status of the title, which FWIW, is the only thing they guarantee to be accurate.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
CarFax is the ultimate evolution of the old GIGO principle, or Garbage In Garbage Out. CarFax is only as good as the data sources used to feed it. In some cases they miss things like the vehicle being involved in a major accident. Sometimes they miss the extensive repair records on a vehicle because the shop did not report them. Your recall could be a case of that. Either the VIN's you were looking at weren't part of it, or the only ones who show it were ones where the shop reported the repair.

Basically, don't trust what CarFax says beyond the status of the title, which FWIW, is the only thing they guarantee to be accurate.
You hit the nail right on the head. I have friends that have asked me to go out and look at used vehicles with them, because they value my opinion when it comes to cars (I KNOW THAT'S HARD FOR SOME OF YOU TO BELIEVE). I have on more than one occasion, called out a salesman or sales manager and called BS on them because they were touting that a particular vehicle had a "CLEAN CARFAX". I have pointed out obvious body damage that has been repaired and the salesman has responded "NO WAY, IT'S NOT ON THE CARFAX, SO IT CAN'T BE". I will say that carfax is just another tool to use when looking to purchase a used vehicle and should never be relied on solely. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a thorough mechanics evaluation before making a used car purchase.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
Was looking at some used Honda Pilots online. Apparently the 2003 model had a recall on the timing belt and tensioner bar. This is interesting to me because I'm looking at cars with around 100k miles and factoring in if I would need to have the timing belt changed soon. Anyway, when I looked at the Carfax on 4 or 5 2003 models, there was no mention of a recall. Could this be because Pilots are made in different locations and maybe the recall was for one facility, or...? Thanks for any education.
As has been stated, a Carfax report is good only up to the amount of information that has actually been reported on the car.

To find out whether any car has outstanding recalls just take the VIN number to a dealership for that make and they should be able to tell you. There may be some online resource as well, but if there is I'm not aware of it.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I took a quick look and didn't see any recall involving the timing belt. It don't mean that there isn't one. If you find a car you like, go to this web site https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/Ho...20RECALL%20IDS
type in the VIN, and you should get recall info on that particular vehicle.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You hit the nail right on the head. I have friends that have asked me to go out and look at used vehicles with them, because they value my opinion when it comes to cars (I KNOW THAT'S HARD FOR SOME OF YOU TO BELIEVE). I have on more than one occasion, called out a salesman or sales manager and called BS on them because they were touting that a particular vehicle had a "CLEAN CARFAX". I have pointed out obvious body damage that has been repaired and the salesman has responded "NO WAY, IT'S NOT ON THE CARFAX, SO IT CAN'T BE". I will say that carfax is just another tool to use when looking to purchase a used vehicle and should never be relied on solely. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a thorough mechanics evaluation before making a used car purchase.
My parents were buying a car through my job and the CarFax had a reported accident claim. Of course, CarFax can never say what it was. In this case, the previous owner had the car repaired through the dealer because the rear bumper had been scraped by a shopping cart in the parking lot. The repair was less than $500 which basically included a minor repair and paint blend on the bumper. Just a casual read and most would have passed it over since "it had an accident" and they would have never believed the dealers explanation.

I don't like CarFax just for this reason. You can have a vehicle that was damaged to within a breath of being totalled and it's "clean" with no record of an accident. You can then also have a car with something so minor that most people wouldn't have fixed it end up with a recorded accident. If my parents weren't buying the car through my employer, I probably would have told them to pass on it because of that and the simple fact you just don't know.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

+1

I really have to hand it to the advertising agency that CarFax uses, because they have apparently convinced a large percentage of the public that they will find out everything that they need to know about a used car from a CarFax report. Unfortunately, that widespead misconception has allowed a lot of folks to unknowingly buy clunkers.

The only value to CarFax is IF a problem is listed, you can be reasonably sure that the problem is reality. However, reasonably sure and absolutely sure are still very different things.

What am I referring to? I know a mechanic who bought a used car and--just for kicks--he decided to spend some money on a CarFax report about the car. The report stated that the car had been stolen a couple of years before and had not been recovered. He read this report as he gazed through his shop window at the car--which he had purchased from his son who had bought the car as a new car a few years prior, and--yes, you guessed it--the car had never been stolen.

Anyway--as was already mentioned by others, the biggest problem with CarFax has to do with all of the missing information. But, even the information that is included can be inaccurate!

As someone else already stated, CarFax is just ONE tool to use when buying a car, but it is not a viable substitute for viewing actual maintenance records and an inspection by your own mechanic.

I suppose that CarFax is better than nothing, but not a whole lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive