Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times

Advertisements

I use my middle finger to flip up my rear view mirror so I don't have to look at them right behind me anymore.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
As much as I agree with you that further escalating an already dangerous situation is a very poor response, the OP did specify that he was asking what to do when he was on a two lane road with no shoulder, in other words, he can't let them pass/move over into a different lane.
Still hardly seems worth resorting to gunplay over.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
As much as I agree with you that further escalating an already dangerous situation is a very poor response, the OP did specify that he was asking what to do when he was on a two lane road with no shoulder, in other words, he can't let them pass/move over into a different lane.

Of course, the answer is to drive his normal style as long as it is reasonable. If he can't drive near the speed limit, because he is afraid or impaired he should not be driving on a two lane road without a shoulder. (I've never been on a road that had nowhere to pull over for more than a few hundred yards ). But, if he is driving slower than the flow of traffic dictates he should speed up, at least to the limit.

I deal with aggressive people all the time. Just because someone is standing too close to you or talking too loud or in your grill does not give one the right to shove them or punch them (or more analogous, take a shot at them). Life has its aggressive people, not all of them acting within social norms and sometimes not within legal limits.

So what. The OP should suck it up and learn to live with them, or get away from them.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Slam on the brakes and then flip him the bird and take off.

That's illegal. And immature. Lemme guess...you're a guy?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 AM

My actual post:

Quote:

Seriously, I can't recall being tailgated other than by a person who I just cut off. If you drive fast enough, no one is there tp tailgate.
Your quote of my post:

Quote:
Your deceptive post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's illegal. And immature. Lemme guess...you're a guy?

Now why would you misquote me like that? Don't you think we can read on this forum? No one is gonna get away with a deception like that. You don't quite get the Internet, do you?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
On rural roads I will wait until I see a safe place then slow down and pull to the right and let them go around.

In town is a different story. I'll just let off the gas and let the car slow down. Eventually they get mad enough to go around.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
On rural roads I will wait until I see a safe place then slow down and pull to the right and let them go around.

In town is a different story. I'll just let off the gas and let the car slow down. Eventually they get mad enough to go around.
I agree with this strategy. I am often towing a heavy load or driving my flatbed truck. Either way, I will take 30 seconds out of my trip to let the traffic go around me at appropriate spots. In the city, people who have a driving style of tailgating and not passing are easily diffused by slowing down until they notice they they are going much slower than they want and then pass, or changing lanes and then slowing down. Of course, I usually drive a car so fast not only does no one tailgate me, no one ever passes me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Still hardly seems worth resorting to gunplay over.
Like I said I agree, I just didn't think your advice of letting them pass was applicable to the situation.

Quote:
Of course, the answer is to drive his normal style as long as it is reasonable. If he can't drive near the speed limit, because he is afraid or impaired he should not be driving on a two lane road without a shoulder. (I've never been on a road that had nowhere to pull over for more than a few hundred yards ). But, if he is driving slower than the flow of traffic dictates he should speed up, at least to the limit.

I deal with aggressive people all the time. Just because someone is standing too close to you or talking too loud or in your grill does not give one the right to shove them or punch them (or more analogous, take a shot at them). Life has its aggressive people, not all of them acting within social norms and sometimes not within legal limits.

So what. The OP should suck it up and learn to live with them, or get away from them.
When someone is riding your bumper, I would argue it's no longer reasonable, it gets no one anywhere any faster and it severely increases my, or in this case, the OP's chance of personal injury in an accident.

If you go off what the poster said, and not what we may or may not assume, there is no shoulder on the road (and for the record I've driven on plenty of roads with long stretches without a shoulder, just a drop off.), if we continue to go by what the poster states and not assumptions, we also know that he/she does not drive slowly because they're afraid or impaired by a situation they control, but because of inclement weather that affects everyone.

As I wrote in my initial post, I haven't read every single states DOT laws, but the ones I have seen says that the driver has a responsibility to not drive faster than the conditions allow, I fully stand by my initial post, if someone is tailgating you, effectively putting you in danger, and you have no feasible way of safely letting them pass you, simply slow down (not by braking) until you're going a speed where having a car halfway through yours doesn't pose a significantly higher risk to your safety, simple as that.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
A better question might be: Why are they tailgating you? If this is happening to you often, with a lot of drivers, it's most likely YOU that is at fault.

I live in a rural area and often come across drivers who do not pay attention to the speed limit signs. They do 20 in the 35 MPH school zone, and once past the school zone, they do not notice the limit is raised to 50 and maybe speed up to 30, even in nice, clear weather. I stay calm with these inattentive drivers and remember that most likely, they have nowhere to go, and that is sad. Or they are frightened drivers... more dangerous than those that are confident and speed excessively.

If you're on a road that they cannot pass you on, the RIGHT thing to do is pull over and allow them to pass. The immature thing to do is to slam on your brakes, slow down to a ridiculous speed or to attempt to "teach them a lesson".

Many of the posters here are obviously not mature enough to have a license - and are the reason that insurance is not only the law, but so expensive.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
. . . .

If you go off what the poster said, and not what we may or may not assume, there is no shoulder on the road (and for the record I've driven on plenty of roads with long stretches without a shoulder, just a drop off.), if we continue to go by what the poster states and not assumptions . . . .
I suppose that if one is in Wyoming in the middle of winter when the shoulders are covered with snow, one could find a couple of miles of road with no turn offs, passing lanes, or cleared shoulders. Maybe a couple of miles.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-25-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive