Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times

Advertisements

I have always owned every car I ever had. My wife has mostly leased her cars, so I'm kinda new to the leasing process. The last car we leased, we put $3,000 down, but it was a luxury car, so I guess I wasn't too surprised. Our finances have changed and the next car (not a luxury car) I would really prefer not to put any money down. Now I see advertisements all the time, lease for $79 a month, but buried in the fine print they want $5,000 down. So the question is it possible to lease a car with nothing down. I realize the higher costs would be rolled into the lease payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Yes, in fact, that is the preferred (by many) way to lease. Trying money up (down payment) in a lease is counterproductive to the value of leasing, in my opinion (and may others).

I've leased 10+ cars and have put minimal money down every time. I normally put down 1st payment, doc fee and registration down only. Sometimes I have them roll everything except 1st payment.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM

oh, by the way, in before all the "omfg leasing is a scam why the f*** would you ever lease you idiot" comments.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
Absolutely, it's the only way I lease cars.

Right now you can lease a Honda Civic LX Automatic with $0 down, $0 for first payment for $230/mo. Or a Accord LX for $0 down, $0 for first payment, for $250. 10k miles a year.

Not bad at all if you want reliable, cheap transportation. The Accord's MSRP is $22k. A 60 month loan for $22k at 2% is $385/month.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
You can always lease with nothing down assuming you have good credit. All they do is take the money you would have put down and amortize it over the lease period, which raises the monthly payment. As you figured out the majority of those "too good to be true" lease specials are all predicated on a large downpayment. Sometimes, manufacturers offer a zero down incentive program, like the ones VW does with the "Sign and Drive". However, you slice it, leasing is a good option if you're the type of person who can make it work for their situation. The folks who hate leasing and preach against it are the ones who hold onto their cars for 10 years, have felt "scammed" in the past by leasing or just don't understand why you would pay for something you don't "own".

For you, you may want to check out VW, they usually have pretty aggressive lease specials and rates and the fact that they include all scheduled maintenance during the lease period is a nice addition.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Absolutely, it's the only way I lease cars.

Right now you can lease a Honda Civic LX Automatic with $0 down, $0 for first payment for $230/mo. Or a Accord LX for $0 down, $0 for first payment, for $250. 10k miles a year.
10k miles a year seems a little low, the standard is usually 12k a year, and the lease my wife has is 15k a year.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
I agree, but some people can make it work. I have 15k/yr on my current lease.

Lets say you need 3k more a year, at .15/mile, that's $450/yr or $37/month.

Or do what I do, get a cheap 10k mile lease and know you are going to drive over that. Then hope/pray your car is worth more than the buyout at the end and don't pay any fees. Works with Subarus here in Colorado, as they are worth gold. Usually have a couple grand in equity after 36 months, even with 45k miles on it.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
10k miles a year seems a little low, the standard is usually 12k a year, and the lease my wife has is 15k a year.
Just like money down, length and mileage are all negotiable. Most standard leases are 36 months and 36k miles, but you can literally choose any amount of time and mileage you want, of course that is going to change the price. An extra 2k miles a year on those Honda leases might add another $10-$20 or so a month to the cost. You are however MUCH better off buying the mileage upfront then you are paying for it on the backend.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
It's interesting that for leasing, at least in this thread, going no money down seems acceptable and even preferable. In another thread people responded to my suggestion of not putting money down just to reach an arbitrarily lower payment on a purchase as if I were some kind of alien.

After 3 years, if the money laid out is the same, isn't a lessee and buyer in the same basic financial position?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
After 3 years, if the money laid out is the same, isn't a lessee and buyer in the same basic financial position?
No, because the whole point of leasing is protection from depreciation and/or loss/theft/damage.

If you total the car on day 5 of the lease, your down payment is gone. Insurance covers the loss and GAP covers the negative equity - you walk away clean. With money down, you've lost whatever down you put.

If the the total nut at the end of the lease is the same, why would you put money down? Its much safer to have that money liquid in the bank rather than tied up in a car.

The above is precisely why I lease - it has nothing to do with lower payments or a new car every few years. Well - new cars are a perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive