Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM

86 posts, read 123,178 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about getting one, which on the market do you think is the best for the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
As much as I don't like hybrid vehicles because they stand for everything I DON'T...I'd still say the Prius is the best hybrid for the money. Toyota basically invented the modern hybrid and in my book, has the most advanced hybrid system at the moment (excluding the Volt).

Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
Yup, Prius. Nothing comes close to their rated 51/48MPG. If you drive a lot of city miles (stop and go), you probably won't find anything better.

Compare New and Used Hybrid Cars, Trucks and SUVs
Just click the SEARCH button ^

Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
It depends what you mean by "best." You could say the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, or Lexus 400h/450h, or Porsche Cayenne Hybrid are much more complete vehicles than the Prius... lots more cargo space, plus AWD, performance, luxury if desired, ground clearance...

GM also makes hybrid versions of Tahoe/Yukon and Silverado/Sierra, if you like American full-size SUVs and trucks.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Depends on what you want the car for. I personally like the old original Honda Insight, the 2-seater, because it has a proper stickshift, and sort of looks like a Bonneville car with the aerodynamic fender skirts - have never driven one though, and have heard they are not that impressive as a driver.

Goat made an informative post about how Toyota's patented "Synergy Drive" is so far the best hybrid driveline in terms of efficiency, Ford has licensed this, Honda has gone their own way and for most it is not as economical.

Ford offers several different hybrids, Toyota has a hybrid Camry as well as the Prius.

For minimum fuel costs A to B, though, probably the Prius is the best bet.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM

86 posts, read 123,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
As much as I don't like hybrid vehicles because they stand for everything I DON'T...I'd still say the Prius is the best hybrid for the money. Toyota basically invented the modern hybrid and in my book, has the most advanced hybrid system at the moment (excluding the Volt).

Doesnt hybrid stand for using electricity to lower the amount of oil used, in these days why would you stand against that?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
I think what Speedy MEANT to say is......he's all for other people like you driving around slow hybrids so there is more oil for his fast and gas thirsty toys

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iT4SoLuTioN View Post
Doesnt hybrid stand for using electricity to lower the amount of oil used, in these days why would you stand against that?
I just bought a Corvette with a big (surprisingly economical) V8 engine. My DAILY driver is a 2010 F-150 that I use to commute 30 miles to/from work in and sometimes tow my boat on the weekends. I guess I never got the memo about conserving gasoline...oh well.

The Prius is the antithesis of a Corvette; small engine, slow, sedan, ugly, and did I mention slow?

I can understand why some people buy Prius's, I have friends who drive them and they ARE a neat vehicle with cool electronic gizmos and do-dads...but not for me. If you want one, more power to you though. I'm all for CHOICES and if a Prius is your CHOICE, than by God good luck to you!

Quote:
I think what Speedy MEANT to say is......he's all for other people like you driving around slow hybrids so there is more oil for his fast and gas thirsty toys
Unfortunately Speedy needs to realize he can't have ALL fast and thirsty toys otherwise Speedy won't have a pot to p^ss in!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I can understand why some people buy Prius's, I have friends who drive them and they ARE a neat vehicle with cool electronic gizmos and do-dads...but not for me. If you want one, more power to you though. I'm all for CHOICES and if a Prius is your CHOICE, than by God good luck to you!
Considering the current options, I can see why you wouldn't want a hybrid. But if they can improve the technology and lighten the batteries, then there is really no reason why *every* car shouldn't reclaim the rolling energy it's got when braking, instead of pissing it away as heat in the brakes. Better for everyone...

Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
If you are serious about a hybrid, look to a plug-in conversion that would get the first 30-40 miles a day on electrical energy. You can easily convert Toyotas to be plug-in hybrids. The Prii are mist often converted, but it should be feasible with the Lexus CT, HS, and RX. The Highlander would offer the most room, and if converted would return more than the 28mpg rating.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive