Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

Her profession is indeed irrelevant to selecting a car; it's really a matter of what her budget is, does she want to pay cash or finance the car and her personal preferences. The word 'appropriate' really isn't relevant here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM

37 posts, read 93,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
That vehicle as described above is probably non-obtainium.
i'll tell her that

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The FWD Honda CR-V is rated similarly to her current Camry, which is a bit better than the competitive Toyota RAV-4 in terms of fuel economy. The Subaru Forester is also a good choice in the segment, but has an economy penalty with standard AWD.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-26-2012, 12:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Her profession is indeed irrelevant to selecting a car; it's really a matter of what her budget is, does she want to pay cash or finance the car and her personal preferences. The word 'appropriate' really isn't relevant here.
Elaborate? Her income may be relevant, as it debt/income ratio, debt load, etc - but none of those have to do with her profession directly.

Now - if the question was "she is a traveling nurse and carries xyz supplies, and drives 30k miles a year", i would agree with you - but the profession in that case still does not matter.

As someone else mentioned, profession will only matter if the car is used directly for work purposes - whether a work truck for hauling or a realtor's car for taking out clients.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,703 times
Wow this topic is ridiculous we're not in Kindergarten...
She should be old enough to know what car she likes and can afford.
He profession does not matter at all.
How come you don't know that?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
Lexus is a luxury brand. She says all options are on the table. for practical reasons are luxury brands good for a nurse?
Why not a older but very dependable Lexus? Our neighbor drives a 1990 Lexus that looks like new and runs like a well oiled top. I had no idea it was that old until he told me. When I asked him how much it cost him in repairs he floored me when he said a fan belt & spark plugs after 210,000 miles!

The thing is luxury cars are almost always better engineered and and assembled compared to mid or lower priced cars. They have to be to earn the big bucks price they ask for them or the rich folk's will drop them like a hot rock.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
A Toyota Prius.

No, a Smart Fortwo.

No, a bicycle. Didn't nurses used to travel between hospital buildings by bicycle?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

No, a bicycle. Didn't nurses used to travel between hospital buildings by bicycle?
Yeah, but what kind of a bicycle is appropriate? BMX? road bike? mountainbike? foldable bike? training wheels?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
I know a nurse who makes 50K a year. She is planning on buying or leasing a car. She asked me what cars would be good for her. I am asking you what in your opinions is appropriate for a Hospital nurse?
Get a fuel efficient car, obviously. And I always recommend buying a car. See if she can get hooked up with a dealer who will bid for cars on auction for her. I got a 2010 Ford Fusion that gets 30 MPG for $3K.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
VW Rabbit Diesel maybe?

StealthRabbit? Where art thou?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive