Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times

Advertisements

No one really touched it on ebay. I called him after the auction and asked where he stood, he dropped to $7900, I said maybe. Called me up today and came down to $7500. Now that's in budget but I found an 05 Jetta, same mileage/trim/options, timing belt and water pump done and he wants $6700. At this point it's a matter of choosing which model.

It's my assumption that the Golf will yield better MPG and be a bit more nimble than the Jetta. It seems that the only advantages of a Jetta would be larger back seating and more trunk space. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post

It's my assumption that the Golf will yield better MPG and be a bit more nimble than the Jetta. It seems that the only advantages of a Jetta would be larger back seating and more trunk space. Am I correct?

Not even that. I believe the Jetta is simply a Golf with a trunk -- 100-something lbs heavier but legroom essentially the same. Heck, I think the Golf "trunk" is slightly bigger.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
No one really touched it on ebay. I called him after the auction and asked where he stood, he dropped to $7900, I said maybe. Called me up today and came down to $7500. Now that's in budget but I found an 05 Jetta, same mileage/trim/options, timing belt and water pump done and he wants $6700. At this point it's a matter of choosing which model.

Lux, see if you can get them to give you the first digit of the VIN for each car. There is a bit of a difference in overall build quality between VW's produced in Mexico and those made in Germany. A lot of the Rabbitt/Golf's and almost all of the special editions (GTI, some GLI's, Wolfsburg, etc.) are built in Germany. Whereas almost all Jetta's and some other mainstream models for sale in the US are made in Mexico.

If the first VIN position is "W" then it was built in Germany. If it's "3" then it was built in Mexico. FWIW, myself and most in the VW community, would pay a little extra for a German built Golf over a Mexican built Jetta assuming everything else is generally equal. If the Golf was also built in Mexico (not all are) then it would be a toss up over whether you prefer the Golf or the Jetta. As far as rear seat room, they are about the same. The Jetta has a little more trunk floor space, but isn't as tall. The Golf also can haul a little more easily with the seats down. In terms of suspension, they are roughly equal, but the Golf is tuned a little more to the sporting side in base trim versus the Jetta.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
I would agree that I would pay a bit more for a German made Jetta then a Mexican built version.

Your looking at a 2006 Golf GL that's clean and well cared for.
Lack of documentation on the timing belt would lower my offer.

Your not looking at a GTI or other sport or limited edition so overall I'd be 6000.00 firm and see what he says.

It's approaching six years old with average to slightly higher than average mileage.

I'd also take this into consideration concerning the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive