Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it can buy things that I enjoy. There's nothing wrong in that.
there is nothing wrong with that unless you are using the concept "life is short" to overspend on something. you could die tomorrow or you could die in 50 years, unfortunately we dont know that ahead of time for planning purposes. but if i did have a short time left, id be more worried about the people im leaving behind that depend on me than driving a bentley for my last few years. its funny the excuses some people like to use to overspend. i also like "i work hard, i earned it." you earned nothing that you cant afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
50 years seems dang short once you are there... regretting that you never had any fun.

But you SAVED EVERY PENNY! Woohoo! Good for you.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you were shopping for a new car, what sticker price would you be looking at, as a percentage of your annual gross income? For example, if you had an income of $100K, what price range car would you be looking for?

(Don't tell us how much you make, just pick a reasonable income and give us a hypothetical.)

Since I'm a car keeper all this matters little to me since I can amortize whatever the vehicle cost over a several decades or more.

When I do need the rare replacement vehicle the reliability, robustness ,comfort, and value of the candidate vehicles are all that matters to me. I also do not confine my search to "new" since "new" cost to much when compared to "quality used" .

Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Since I'm a car keeper all this matters little to me since I can amortize whatever the vehicle cost over a several decades or more.

When I do need the rare replacement vehicle the reliability, robustness ,comfort, and value of the candidate vehicles are all that matters to me. I also do not confine my search to "new" since "new" cost to much when compared to "quality used" .
Right now, in this market, "quality used" and "new" aren't drastically different in price. In some cases by adding manufacturers incentives and rebates along with tax breaks for new vehicles, the price of a NEW vehicle can be within a grand or two of one of the certified pre-owned ones.

I always laugh when people automatically assume that a used vehicle is going to be MUCH cheaper than a new vehicle. Once you factor in all the current incentives, tax credits, deductions, rebates, etc etc...a new vehicle may very well end up being cheaper than one of those "quality used" ones.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is nothing wrong with that unless you are using the concept "life is short" to overspend on something. you could die tomorrow or you could die in 50 years, unfortunately we dont know that ahead of time for planning purposes. but if i did have a short time left, id be more worried about the people im leaving behind that depend on me than driving a bentley for my last few years. its funny the excuses some people like to use to overspend. i also like "i work hard, i earned it." you earned nothing that you cant afford.
Not that I need to explain myself to you or anyone else, but I can afford everything I have or will ever have. Overspend to me means spending more than I normally would, but not beyond my means. Since I've chosen to be single with no kids, I don't need to consider others when I spend my money. I certainly don't need any excuse to buy or do anything.

It's (not) funny how some people make assumptions about other people, then comment as if those are facts, and as if everyone needs to follow the same path in life.

Maybe we can now get back to the intent of the thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM

258 posts, read 160,096 times
In the past it's been about 15-20% of wage but i tend to buy classics and make a profit 5 years later when i sell them.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Not that I need to explain myself to you or anyone else, but I can afford everything I have or will ever have. Overspend to me means spending more than I normally would, but not beyond my means. Since I've chosen to be single with no kids, I don't need to consider others when I spend my money. I certainly don't need any excuse to buy or do anything.

It's (not) funny how some people make assumptions about other people, then comment as if those are facts, and as if everyone needs to follow the same path in life.

Maybe we can now get back to the intent of the thread.
i wasnt talking about you. but if you felt the need to explain yourself, im ok with that.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How do you like that S400? I'm not a huge fan of German vehicles but I'd make an exception for the S-Class. Absolutely wonderful machines, they have a certain appeal that no other vehicle really has; big, luxurious, and stately. Definitely wouldn't mind owning one if I ever can reached the income level necessary to purchase one of those beasts. What gas mileage are you getting with it? Does the "hybrid" part actually work, I just can't see how a big and heavy sedan like the S-Class can possibly improve much on fuel economy.
The performance isn't quite 'S-Class'. The economy isn't quite 'hybrid'. The luxury is the only area where it exceeds expectations of cars in this price range. I knew all this going in, however. I got the car because I'm a technology enthusiast. But to be honest, I already have my eyes on another toy.

I get 23.8 mpg avg. 80% highway.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wasnt talking about you. but if you felt the need to explain yourself, im ok with that.
You responded to my post, quoted from it, and implied something else based on what I said. Was that just an amazing coincidence? If you weren't talking about me, why did you do all that?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The performance isn't quite 'S-Class'. The economy isn't quite 'hybrid'. The luxury is the only area where it exceeds expectations of cars in this price range. I knew all this going in, however. I got the car because I'm a technology enthusiast. But to be honest, I already have my eyes on another toy.

I get 23.8 mpg avg. 80% highway.
I have to admit, I'm a tad bit jealous.

Aside from maybe a Cadillac CTS-V, I'm not into luxury sedans but the Mercedes S-Class is on a very short list of vehicles I'd like to own as I get older. I've driven them, been a passenger in them, and when you're behind the wheel, you definitely feel as if you've "made it" in the world. They have such a masculine and stately presence, no wonder most of the world leaders use them as state vehicles.

23.8 is actually better than I'd expect from a car that weighs nearly three tons! I get about 15 mpg in my F-150 and average between 24-26 mpg in my 'Vette.

Lucky man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive