Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

Let's say you have $12,000 to spend on a car. Do you buy an average new car (example: Toyota Yaris) or a used luxury car (example: a Benz but it's 7-10 years old)?

Me: I would go with the used luxury car
Reason: Unless you're rich, your only hope of ever owning a luxury car is to buy used.

What would you choose and why?

I am looking to buy a car after college and there's a high chance I will buy a used luxury car. But I know some people that would rather have an average new car. Buying new is a bad investment plus with the used luxury car, you get luxury at an affordable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
I completely agree that buying used is the way to go. Just make sure you fully understand all associated costs with owning whatever car you're looking at, including: potential repair costs, maintenance costs, and insurance costs.

Personally, I would buy something used but sporty. Luxury cars are well and good.............when you're 50. Just out of college is the time to buy that sports car that's completely impractical and somewhat idiotic since you at least have 'youth' as the excuse.

Mike

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Depends on my ability to maintain the car. A used luxury vehicle that is 7-10 years old can require some significant investments into repair and maintenace. Costs that won't be born by the person buying the new car. So, it really comes down to your wallet and whether you can afford to maintain the car. You have to pay to play either way you look at it.

In my case I had a $14k budget for a commuter car several years ago and after looking at the new options I settled on a used (about 5 years old) Audi A4. It was in great shape, but I knew the maintenance items (timing belt replacement being the big one and possibly the turbo depending on prior maintenance) that could come up down the line and had the knowledge and money to fix them when/if needed. The car ended up having zero issues in the 3+ years I owned it and I got to enjoy a much better car than a Yaris or something like it.

I've purchased quite a few used luxury cars over the years and the key to each of them was going in knowing what to expect and being prepared for the possibilities. Taking the time to really get the car checked out thoroughly is also a good bit of insurance. Some of the ones I've bought like my A6 had issues that were common ones I knew about before buying and others like the A4 and M3 were fantastic cars and I feel that I saved a ton buying used even on the cars that had some issues.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Neither.

I would buy a used mid-range car. Buying a VERY used luxury car will cost you. A 10 year old Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus will require expensive maintenance. It will have well over 100K miles on it.

I would not buy a Yaris because it is a very mediocre small car.

I would probably buy something like a 2-4 year old Mazda3, Civic, or Ford Fusion. All reliable, comfortable, efficient enough, and reasonably fun to drive.

If you are just getting out of college, why do you not think you'll have more money later to afford a better car? Are you getting a degree like English or history that has almost no value on the job market?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Neither.

I would buy a used mid-range car. Buying a VERY used luxury car will cost you. A 10 year old Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus will require expensive maintenance. It will have well over 100K miles on it.

I would not buy a Yaris because it is a very mediocre small car.

I would probably buy something like a 2-4 year old Mazda3, Civic, or Ford Fusion. All reliable, comfortable, efficient enough, and reasonably fun to drive.

If you are just getting out of college, why do you not think you'll have more money later to afford a better car? Are you getting a degree like English or history that has almost no value on the job market?
Of course I will have more money later on, but I don't think I will make enough to afford a new luxury car even when I'm 40. The typical luxury car costs $45,000-90,000 new.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I don't go to paid for mechanics, so I buy what i am willing to fix myself. I am a x foreign car tech which helps a lot. I tend to buy volvos and saabs because they weigh something, have built in protection, and are reliable.

When it comes to trucks and full size vans i buy American, no frills work types, which can include a rolling bed room type van.

If I was single i would just have pick up trucks.

When I was younger I liked sports cars, but I got a bit too deep into motorcycles and have no use of sports cars anymore. Maybe when i get to old to ride sports cars will be fun again.

I guess if I was stright out of college i would go for a small compact Honda car. They seem cheap to pay techs to fix. Just no room to put big things in like several full sheets of plywood.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM

279 posts, read 760,030 times
Agree, I would also go with a used nicer car. I wouldn't go with a big luxury sedan though but would probably get a fun sports car if I was right out of college. I'd look at something like a Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, BMW Z4, or similar. As far as luxury sedans go, I love the E39 5-series BMWs, but I think they would just be too much $$$ to maintain and I'd probably skip it unless I found one with really low miles at that price.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Neither.

Precisely. The thing about $12k cars that used to sell for $50+k is that they still have maintenance costs of a $50+k car. That is also the reason for some of their steep depreciation. Price a 15 year old German V12 (MB S600, BMW 750i) ... they used to cost $90+k, but nowadays, they're candidates for 24 Hours of LeMons (a grassroots race of sub-$500 cars).

So count me in on the slightly used "mainstream car" category too.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
but nowadays, they're candidates for 24 Hours of LeMons (a grassroots race of sub-$500 cars).

cute

Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
$12k- P/U! No question about it.
I can do more, get more, and travel from "A" to "B" just as easily!
Maintenance on most 5-7yr old P/U's is for the most part just general maintenance- oil, filters, tires, alignment.
And I'm certainly not going to worry about a ding or three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive