Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

2011 Hyundai Equus | New Hyundai Sedans - Yahoo! Autos

The stuff in the link speaks for itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quickly comparing it to the Chrysler 300C AWD and the Lexus LS (just randomly selected) - No. It costs too much for what it offers. Plus being a Hyundai, they have a perception problem as well. When I hear Huyandai, I still think of my wife's crappy excel (probably 1989 or 1990). An extreme economy car that was barely a step above a yugo. Many people buy luxury cars in part for status. Those of us in the age bracket for luxury cars, remember the Excel when Hyundai is mentioned. I cannot see a lot of people equating Hyundai with status. In fact, thinking about it makes me laugh. While I am certain that this must be a very excellent luxury vehicle, I just cannot see people going "oooohhh Niiiiiccce Hyaundai!" They should make up a new brand.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Screw that, Chrysler is re-producing the SRT 300C

Mercedes E Class under pennings and Mercedes 5 Speed gear box along with a nearly 500 hp Hemi.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
I see your point coldjensen, my parents had a 1988 excel when I was 12, such a piece of crap it was. I think Hyundai has really stepped up with the cars in quality but I think if theyre going to start making luxury cars like the genesis and equus mentioned in my op they should just make a luxury brand and start marketing that

Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
No, get a Lexus.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
It worked for Toyota in 1992 when they came out with the Lexus. Maybe the Hyundai isn't at that level yet, but it could be.

Then again, the Phaeton never sold well for VW.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Quickly comparing it to the Chrysler 300C AWD and the Lexus LS (just randomly selected) - No. It costs too much for what it offers. Plus being a Hyundai, they have a perception problem as well. When I hear Huyandai, I still think of my wife's crappy excel (probably 1989 or 1990). An extreme economy car that was barely a step above a yugo. Many people buy luxury cars in part for status. Those of us in the age bracket for luxury cars, remember the Excel when Hyundai is mentioned. I cannot see a lot of people equating Hyundai with status. In fact, thinking about it makes me laugh. While I am certain that this must be a very excellent luxury vehicle, I just cannot see people going "oooohhh Niiiiiccce Hyaundai!" They should make up a new brand.
Some people are immune to this hangup over status brands and can buy things for their intrinsic quality. I haven't been in an Equus, but I have been in a Genesis. Very nicely done, and a very modern V8.

I remember the Excel. But I don't fault Hyundai for being crappy then. Their improvement and turnaround is incredibly impressive and they deserve a lot of credit for it.

For those that think a Chrysler 300C is in the same class - that is comical. The 300C SRT is muscular, and less of a gansta car now, but it is coming from one of the worst automakers of the last 20 years. For now - for Mopar fans only.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Nice car! I'd have no problem buying that car.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I might have a problem dropping 60k on it, but it still underprices the old VW Pheaton, which could touch over 80k (10 years ago) for a 12 cylinder version.

Hyundai has really done a nice 180° turn when it comes to vehicles. A few years back, people believed that the awesome warranty they offered was offset because the car would end up in the shop all the time...so you were just like "Well, at least the warranty is covering it"...instead of the car having a fantastic warranty, and fantastic reliability as well.

The Genesis really was a great turning point for the company, in both Coupe and Sedan form. The coupe competes very well in styling and performance with the 370Z, and it has back seats. It doesn't feel as nice as the Infinity counter part, but i blame that on cheap dash and door panel materials...the seats are phenomenal to say the least. Hopped in a Genesis sedan at the autoshow. About the same size as a 5 series BMW, equally if not more plush, and incredibly comfortable to be in. With v8 trim, the car can move pretty well too, and the build quality seems excellent. Of all the vehicles I sat in at the autoshow, the Genesis Sedan had the best seats, and this is including Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Audi, Buick, etc...the seats were simply fantastic.

We saw the Equus at the show, but couldn't sit in it. I wasn't a huge fan of the exterior styling, it seemed like it was trying to copy the new LaCrosse, and the Lexus, and the Genesis, and the 5 series at the same time...and was a tad confused, as such i didn't think the car flowed well together. Personally, i wouldn't but it if i had the cash, not because i don't think it's a fine car, but because styling wise i don't think it's a very nice looking car...I'd rather spend 30-40k on the Genesis Sedan and keep the extra 20k in my kids college fund

Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I've seen two or three of them on the roads around me, so someone's buying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia